Jones Lang LaSalle

Updated 27 January 2015
3.5

Jones Lang LaSalle President, CEO, and Director Colin Dyer
Colin Dyer

Pros
  • Company tends to be cognizant of employees' needs for work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great work environment in which a strong work ethic was highly valued (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it is difficult to get that work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Mid level managers not always valued for fear of upper management having to compete internally (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people; Typical corporate environment

Cons

Lack of integrity; office relationships that are inappropriate; promotions based on who you know, not what you know; no training; no educational reimbursement.

Get some Sr. Leaders within JLL Chicago to come out and clean up the Mpls office.

Great Platform - Disengaged Management

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

JLL has the best brokers in the business. CBRE is a great company, not to disparage them, but the legacy Staubach guys at JLL have the best relationships and are without a doubt the gold standard in the business. JLL is like Target, CBRE is like Walmart.

Cons

There is too much red tape. Operating as a broker within the boundaries at JLL requires an enormous amount of reporting to management that no one ever looks at. It doesn't have any value and it take away from time you could be spending with clients.

Hire some, either you are a manager or a broker, when you're playing manager if it's not impacting your own book of business, you make a lot of promises you never fulfill.

Great company

Former Employee - Property Service in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Property Service in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very appreciative of their employees! Lots of opportunities for advancement as well as networking opportunities!

Cons

Annmarie England and autumn cleary. If you work in the pittsburgh office, those 2 are the epitome of favoritism. Annmarie wrote me up for being impatient because when i was on the phone i would im an employee with the question (so i would not have to put the person on hold) if they would not respond i would simply ask someone else.

You really need to stop making power go to your head. Us subordinates may not be as strong brave or smart as you but we still do have a side to the story.

Overworked/Clients Suffer

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle

Pros

JLL attracts big name clients

Cons

Project Managers are spread way too thin, on too many projects, ultimately hurting the clients in not getting the time/services they are paying for.

Not so ethical

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Compensation could be better.

Cons

Duplicate reporting. Initial training needs increased. Too many clicks in company on retail side.

Really depends on who you work for

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Relatively good work-life balance.
    2) Opportunities with some good local projects
    3) Generally friendly people to work with
    4) Quite generous paid leave
    5) Reasonable pay & benefits

Like any global company, JLL has a pretty fancy brand name history and strong market presence. It can also be a good place for junior staff/fresh grads to soak up in a relatively high level of professional standard in terms of technical skills, client exposure, etc.

Cons

Although reviews are usually highly subjective based on personal experience, some of the points I make here are what I find to be common among my teammates during my 2-year employment with the company.

1) Very top-down management style and employee initiatives are less valued. To put in plain words, what you do or what you think may not be deemed useful. In fact, my manager thinks junior/mid-level staff are simply 'kids' who know of nothing about the consultancy business. You're given directives (if not orders) and treated sometimes like a robot.
    2) Highly inefficient project planning. You're told to have a project workshop/discussion in the morning and wait for the boss to have a workshop/discussion until the end of day and no workshop/discussion is done. And this happens on a daily basis. When the workshop finally gets started, you can expect a very long and tedious 'brainstorming' lasting for hours, sometimes late into night without having meal. I have never seen such procrastination from a team leader for NO PARTICULAR REASON in my entire career.
    3) Boys Club thing, albeit not just excluded to boys. Passive aggressiveness is what you have to deal with.
    4) Annual performance review is treated like a joke. It's not what your performance that matters but your place on the boss' pecking order.

It was nice until I was let go

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, nice atmosphere, decent pay

Cons

Spend a lot of time in pointless meetings, corporate nonsense is plentiful, too much focus on doing things for "the betterment of the group" instead of focusing on your job responsibilities.

Excellent company to work with, and truly care about employees and customers with integrity

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Spring, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Spring, TX (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

We develop a bond among our team, and feels like a family, and HR will go up and beyond to assure that you are comfortable as one of there own.

Cons

Was not put in actual job position that was offered,

To make sure that communication is key, and make employees be part of the team where they were originally supposed to be

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Facility Coordinator in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Facility Coordinator in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management respects your decisions and allows opportunities to grow. Benefits are above average but not best. Generous PTO. Or at least than my previous employers.

Cons

Low raises. You have to negotiate all your pay at hire and then switch roles to get any kind of increase. Bonus only for salary workers.

Great place to work :)

Former Employee - Finance Administrator in Canberra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Finance Administrator in Canberra (Australia)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best Office Spaces , Work and Life Balance , Travel Oppurtunities

Cons

No proper training schedule for new starters ,
    Few unfit people in Senior Management