KB Home

Updated 21 January 2015
3.1

KB Home President, CEO, and Director Jeff Mezger
Jeff Mezger

Pros
  • Very good training program both in product training and in Sales skill set training (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to learn if you want to get started in the business (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High pressure, micromanaged, long hours, no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The Raleigh division unfortunately was vary disorganized at the local level (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales counselor

Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant

I have been working at KB Home

Pros

I love KB. The management, the culture, the opportunities. I've only been with them for 6 months, but so far, I'm very pleased.

Cons

So far, there aren't many

VP of purchasing

I worked at KB Home

Pros

Independent thinking was encouraged

Cons

The company was full of empire builders. A CYA Company

Get advice from the front line managers

Good Company but Management needs to listen more to their employees concerns and suggestions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at KB Home full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If given the right community you have the opportunity to make money. The business model offers a low base price and allows buyers to control the cost of the options and works well against other builders in the market place. The Superintendents are hard working, supportive and very helpful and do a great job meeting deadlines. The focus is always trying to make the buyer have a great home buying experience. Customer Service is always going above and beyond for buyers.

Cons

If your starting a new community it can easily take up to a year before you see any commission checks. The sales floor is a competitive floor environment so depending on your partner you can be working in a challenging environment. You are required to work weekends and holidays so quality of life can be difficult. The Marketing Department appears to be the weakest link within the Division and not very supportive of the sales representatives as well as other departments. Instead of working with the Sales Department most suggestions are either rejected or you basically get no response back. Lack of signage is a big problem for most of the communities and just to get pricing paper or brochures are heavily regulated.

Management needs to listen more to their employees concerns and suggestions. It appears decisions are made without careful consideration of market conditions or asking input from their sales people when opening new communities. The company culture appears to be more focused on making money and a lack of concern of their employees well being. Departments appear to work against each other instead of working together and Marketing is the biggest challenge for the Sales Department.

Good not great

I worked at KB Home full-time

Pros

Solid company with good people

Cons

Not great prospects for advancement

Work with employees to develop tangible targets for building upward mobility

Cog in A Wheel

Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at KB Home full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are all great to work with and they do try to change up the divisions that you do the accounting for to make it a little more interesting.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism and cliques. There is very little promotion opportunity since most of the controllers for the divisions have been there for YEARS...like 10-15 and aren't going anywhere.

It would be great if there was more opportunity for new ideas and new ways to do things.

Freelance experience

I worked at KB Home as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

In the few months I freelanced at KB Home I was treated really well as my supervisor was super cool. No micromanaging, everyone had their own desk space, and strong branding with particular standards to go by for literally every piece of creative which I can really appreciate in doing production work for them. Bagels and fruits on Fridays.

Cons

The environment can be too quiet and didn't seem to be much opportunity to move upwards from what a few others shared with me. People who had been there a year or more seem to have lost their spirit, if they started with any, as the work can be very repetitive as with the interactions you may eventually have with people there.

Add more regular team lunches/activities showing appreciation of employees and get away more from your desk to just have a quick minute of non-work chat with employees.

Marketing dept

I worked at KB Home full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Division Presidents try there best to inspire but LA team can override good ideas.

Cons

Challenging corporate leadership team.

Great atmosphere! Great upward mobility

Former Employee - DUP in Vero Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - DUP in Vero Beach, FL (US)

I worked at KB Home full-time (more than an year)

Pros

KB Home prides itself on its brand and general employee morale. I enjoyed my time at KB and would likely still be there if construction hadn't come to a grinding halt.

Cons

Management above the local division level did not care to understand the specific local issues confronting our division. They assumed that due to their company's size they could dictate timelines to local municipalities. It created a slight cognitive dissonance for the rank and file employees

Keep the great atmosphere, but listen to the local division mangement.

Work work environment of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at KB Home (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were some of the best people.

Cons

Management doesn't know what the workload is like for "lower employees". Everyone is overworked and underpaid. Each person they call a coordinator for the different departments is a fancy way of saying whipping post or flunky. Decisions are made with in a knee jerk way and they are reactive instead of proactive. I've never worked somewhere that constantly piles on the work yet tells you they are unhappy with your performance but in the next breath they ask you to write a job description of what you do. How can you be unhappy with my performance if you don't even know what I do? The reason they don't know what anyone does around there is because the turnover is so high they just put people in chairs and tell them to get to work. There's no training or explanation about what to do because there hasn't been anybody there long enough to know what to do. Management runs around barking orders and expects everyone to bow in front of them like everyone else is beneath them. I had the same role the entire time I worked there but at one point I was doing manual labor like moving furniture every week for the sales meetings. It wasn't until I put my foot down and said that I could no longer move furniture that they hired someone to do it. What makes this so comical is that the time it took me to move furniture every week wasn't taken into consideration for my other duties. So I would get asked why I didn't get other things done. I wanted to scream and say it's because I WAS MOVING FURNITURE! I did everything from fetch breakfast and lunch to payroll functions and complex data analysis for pennies. My salary wasn't equal to the things I was asked to do.

Think long and hard about the things you ask employees to do before you make a decision. Stop changing things like the wind. Make a decision and stick with it. Instead of having morale boosting barbecues in the parking lot every 90 days, pay the employees more money.

KB Home Photos

Street view of the KB Home headquarter office located in Los Angeles, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.68)

+ Add Photo