KPMG

3.5 2,747 reviews

KPMG Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

2,747 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Inclusive culture that promotes work/life balance while providing a challenging job"
    in 163 reviews
  • "Get resume builder; great place to start your career' exposure to an array of industries;"
    in 82 reviews
Cons:
  • "Rotations can lead to a poor work life balance--I lost touch with many of my friends"
    in 380 reviews
  • "Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment"
    in 428 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Associate

I have been working at KPMG

ProsHappy work place and good people to learn from

ConsPoor pay, work not challenging

Campus Brand Manager

Campus Brand Manager (Former Employee)
Cathays, Wales

I worked at KPMG as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWorking with such a large company whilst I was still at university was a cracking item on my CV. Almost all interviews I had that year and since have brought up the role.

I was able to work my own hours.

much of the role was dealing directly with people, meeting new people is always enjoyable!

ConsI was given thousands of posters and fliers, more than I could possibly have used or been beneficial. Sometimes when I needed something of use, it was difficult to get hold of as KMPG questioned the benefit of it to them in terms of cost to return.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore guidance and dialogue with management would have been motivating and useful

Generally good, though there are some political animals to deal with

Executive Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than a year

ProsNot as cut throat as some big 4, look to develop a team atmosphere. Focused on quality deliverables for the client.

ConsSome people think they arrived when they're a long way away from it. They carry themselves with a certain amount of arrogance and look down on people, however there are very few of these

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the non team players

Many opportunities at KPMG

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKPMG is very stable and does not to grow too quickly or turnaround and leave businesses abruptly.

ConsPay is lower than other Big 4's. And, mistakes are not tolerated - they want to get everything right - if it is not a 'sure thing' - then they will not pursue. Typically under-staffed, which makes for the 'opportunities'.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more calculated risks. Consider a larger acquisition to catch up with the other 3.

Chance to work with driven, dynamic people

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people - driven, dynamic, work hard/play hard
Interesting work

ConsLong hours - peer pressure to work late, regardless of how much work you actually have to do...

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication could be better in relation to staff movement and utilisation

Senior Associate

I have been working at KPMG

Prosaccess to global opportunities, great networking, strong brand equity, great performance leaders and management team, multiple volunteer opportunities, complex projects working with highly skilled team members

Conslarge organization that you can sometimes get lost in if you do not work hard to stand out, must be involved in other areas besides client delivery to success - practice development and business development

Good place to launch

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat exposure to wide range of clients

ConsWork/ life balance, compensation variable

Great company but only if you work for a partner who will support you

Consulting Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at KPMG full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKPMG (Management Consulting) is a blue chip consulting firm, great offices in Canary Wharf and gives you a great network of people to continue your career. Clients are often very good and high profile. Salary/benefits package is good (but not the best)

ConsCan be very political.
Promotion criteria are not clear and often seems to be a case of self-promotion and networking rather than actual achievements. You can get lucky - some people are promoted simply due to the fact that they're in the right place at the right time to the frustration of others. Review process is an amateurish shouting match with managers promoting their favourites on a whiteboard regardless of measurable performance. You only get on if people senior to you are prepared to fight for you (and few are!)
Consultants can sit on the bench for weeks/months! KPMG isn't fussed until review time. Key to understand that it's your responsibility to find work within KPMG.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the review/promotion process (see above)
Sort out the partner infighting and improve communications across audit/consulting. Too often we were told we couldn't approach clients for consulting as they were either an audit client or audit target client. There must be a rich vein of intelligence from audit partners as to potential target customers but this is never forthcoming. Just obstacles and reasons why not to approach clients.

Focus more on people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at KPMG full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people work there and there is a good internal structure for people management

ConsLost its way! Focusses too much on profit and politics without thinking longer term. Salaries are not great - but the Big 4 are known for not paying well. Senior leadership (board) makes decisions that are unpopular and without appearing to consider advice from experience

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong leadership is needed, but they need to make sure that they take people with them

overall good working envirnoment

Audit Associate (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at KPMG full-time for more than a year

ProsDeals with different clients, have great knowledge about industries

ConsLong working hours, it takes more than 15 years to reach partner

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to incentives and promotions

Worked for KPMG? Contribute to the Community!

KPMG Videos

KPMG – Why Work for Us?

Careers with KPMG From career development to global opportunities, KPMG helps connect you to a variety of ways to build the career you've always wanted. You've worked hard. You've planned well. You've developed your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KPMG reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for KPMG CEO John B. Veihmeyer . All 2,747 reviews are posted anonymously by KPMG employees.