KPMG US

KPMG US Reviews in Los Angeles, CA US

Updated Jun 26, 2014

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits(in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit(in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment(in 469 reviews)

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing

Manager Tax (Current Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsBest place to build your career

Conswork-life balance can be an issue in some areas

Great company and culture for those who want to become accounts

Audit Associate (Former Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsAwesome training, great people and family like atmosphere. They also have a great list of clients and if you speak up you will get a chance to work on your desired clients. The pay is not bad for an entry level job and the brand speaks for itself in the accounting world. 5 Weeks PTO!

ConsHours are pretty bad for 7-9 months out of the year but that depends on your schedule. Work gets pretty redundant and dry after a while. No opportunity for creativity. You are like a robot copying prior year workpapers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to work life balance. If you continue to get new clients, you should hire more people accordingly so that people aren't constantly overworked.

Sr Associate

Senior Associate, Credit Risk (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGood Brand Name. Have more opportunity to learn more work, however it depends upon your PML (your supervisor)

ConsReally bad management of the group. They treat you as raw material not like real people. Specially don't join CREDIT RISK(FRM) group at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some good middle management group.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to build your career

Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsStarting salary; promotions; competitive environment

ConsBonuses; overtime; work/life balance; pressure to increase billings

KPMG is a great place to launch and build your career

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros1) Pace of learning.
    2) Clear career path and growth. "Up or out" may soudn like a bad thing until you work somehwere where that is not the case. At KPMG you get a little faith and benefit of the doubt when promotion time comes. Some places you have to be doing 100% of the job above yours before they even consider the promotion without the opportunity to learn to do it either.
    3) Work schedule flexibility outside of busy season. Take advantage of the vacation days and sabatical

Cons1) Long hours, especially during busy season
    2) This is a client service industry position so it is very deadline driven and you are often the last piece of the puzzle and therefore left getting your work done with much less time available to do it than is ideal.
    3) Horrible 401K match and retirement benefits for non partners

Very great team members and supervisors

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat peers who are all working hard and smart, very energetic work environment when working with them.

ConsA lot of overtime, sometimes really making people crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about employees, not too much overtime

IT Advisory

IT Advisory (Former Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsGood place to start your career. It allows you access to see what it is like to work at various companies while you audit them. This company / position will teach you a lot about important compliance related topics and how they apply to various business.

ConsThey budgets are usually un-realistic. Managers want staff to work extra hard to reduce the risk to the firm, while they agree with clients to reduce the number of hours in our budgets. This causes many engagements to have too much to do and not enough time to finish it in.

Also, the biggest thing is that most of the Directors & Managers in IT Advisory in OC are old CPA accounting personnel who don't know a thing about IT. It was laughable how many IT managers had to be educated by their staff regarding basic IT principles.

Great company

Audit Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat training, big company but you still receive a lot of individual attention and feedback

ConsExtremely long hours, very tedious work, three months of the year will be taken up by 18 hour days

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA (US)

ProsGood resume / career builder

ConsWork-life balance doesn't really happen here

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect, and respect work-life balance,

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A great job that unfortunately ended during cutbacks.

Senior Office Services Representative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat Benefits packages for employees

ConsLimited upward mobility in operations.

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!