Kaiser Permanente

3.6
1,580 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved My Years There, But The Environment Was Changing

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

Pros

I worked at KP for many years; well compensated with good benefits, learned a lot, very interesting work, and most people were great and committed to the Company mission and patient care.

Cons

The environment started changing several years ago. In the facility where I worked not all were held to high standards of conduct and collaboration.

Maintain a respectful workplace and assure all model high standards of conduct.

great company

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakland, CA (US)

Pros

there are very good benefits

Cons

in research positions, many jobs are based on external funding so not much stability

Wonderful !

Current Employee - Cyber Security
    Current Employee - Cyber Security

Pros

Great Work life Balance
    Good People

Cons

Some Salaries can be Low

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kaiser Permanente Ohio

Former Employee - Project Manager I  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager I in Cleveland, OH (US)

Pros

Disclaimer: no two KP regions are exactly the same. This is mainly my KP Ohio experience.

Great benefits, great team, real focus on improving the quality of healthcare and truly try to put the patient first. There was good career growth and leadership supported improving employees skills and education.

Cons

In Ohio we had horrible C level executives. KP in general has a certain hubris that they are the biggest and best. I saw this arrogance as playing a large part in Ohio's downfall. Leadership and marketing failed to notice the market pressures and their rebranding solution was ill advised. KP is a large institution. Because of this it's hard to institute change in a timely manner. In regions that KP is not dominant, that slow to change environment can lead to it's decline. I watched as cuts were made and as that occurred, the patient experience declined. Expect a very corporate environment with lots of meetings and policies/processes that are slow to change.

Learn from the mistakes of failed regions and do not reward the leaders of those regions that failed with new jobs/promotions in the remaining states KP has a presence.

Great health care company to work for.

Pros

Feell like you are making a difference in people's lives.

Cons

The union seems to get in the way of a useful and positive working environment.

Really work with every level and communicate with a nondemeaning attitude to every level.

My experience was very good at Kaiser. The pay is good and the benefits were even better. A job to retire to.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fontana, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA (US)

Pros

Benefits, pay, and opportunities. Job security

Cons

The raises were always small and the cutlure of each facility was different.

Leadership at Fontana Medical Center need to be fair. There are a lot of politics that makes it unfair for some at the bottom.

Great start for your IT career

Current Employee - IT Deployment  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Deployment in Oakland, CA (US)

Pros

Always a room for growth and opportunities when working for Kaiser Permanente. Even if you're a contractor, the pay is still pretty well, and there are opportunities to be hired full time. I recently was working there as an intern, but once a spot was open, I was automatically offered an contractor position.

Cons

If you're the kind of person to be on your own and not work in a team, then being IT for Kaiser Permanente isn't the job for you.

Communicate to your manager because they are likely to listen your concern or problem.

Good experience at the hospital

Current Employee - Transporter  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Transporter in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Work environment promotes patient care and employee care.
    Pays above average compared to other hospitals in the area.
    A lot of growth potential.

Cons

Presenting new ideas and getting them applied can be difficult, do to an older long lasting culture.
    Your voice depends on seniority regardless of your ideas being solid or not.

Take everyone's suggestions as valuable, sometimes systems aren't growing because old systems have not worked out as efficiently as expected. Change is necessary for growth.

Great Company for Exposure to Technology and Business

Former Employee - Intern  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA (US)

Pros

I came to Kaiser for an internship last summer and worked out of the Ordway office down in Oakland at headquarters. I learned alot about business, technology, and product management. Although I do not use the insurance myself, I think the concept of their online patient web application is awesome. As an intern I had the chance to present several times to higher management which was great.

Cons

While I do appreciate the design efforts that are taking place with some of their online health initiatives, I constantly had issues with my computer hardware. It slowed down the production of my own projects. Sometimes I felt that there was unspoken tension and politics within the management.

Consider investing more in more reliable hardware to increase productivity and decrease working stress.

Great Company

Pros

Great benefits, interesting work. I have friends who have worked at Kaiser for years and love it. There is clearly an emphasis on a healthy, productive and fun work environment by the upper level management.

Cons

A few of the lower level managers seem to ignore the upper level management's desire for a cooperative work environment and use confrontation and intimidation to manage.

Make sure your work environment vision is implemented by all the lower level managers.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!