Kaiser Permanente

3.5 1,345 reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

1,345 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance is good (though not in all parts of the company)"
    in 108 reviews
  • "Great benefits; diversity; flexible schedules; a lot of areas to grow your career"
    in 138 reviews
Cons:
  • "Need better work-life balance and need to better enjoy work/ less stress at management level"
    in 25 reviews
  • "The upper management complain about the patients being the problem"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Kaiser Permanente - many possibilities

Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

ProsKaiser offers many types of employment, everything from direct patient care to Marketing, Finance, and Research. Once in, your ability to move around is great. As you grow, so can your career - networking is very important once inside. Kaiser believes in promoting from within but is not afraid to go outsite to bring in the best. The benefits are also very good and currently include tuition reimbursement.

ConsAs a non-profit HMO, the focus is on providing excellent healthcare at the lowest costs. Revenue deficits are typically absorbed by the company instead being passed on to the customer. Because of this, salaries are typically lower than in the for-profit market. Also, employees must make sacrifices such as doing more with less, including being understaffed, and at times work without a cost of living raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness should not always be about the bottom line. People deserve at least a cost of living increase every year and this needs to be built into the business plan. No increase creates low morale, low morale creates production and human resource loss, all of this equates to financial loss.

Great experience

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente as an intern

Pros-great company culture: flexibility, on-the job training, open-door policy, room for growth and movement

Cons-no centralized method in getting technology through different departments as each department has their own rules, regulations, etc

It is okay . . . not amazing, but not bad either . . .

Clinical Research Coordinator - Oncology (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Benefits, Nice People, Flexibility to Change Jobs Frequently

ConsA couple cranky co-workers can bring you down, old-fashioned mentality from upper management, lots of drama in each department.

work hard

Support Service Representative (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat benefits, great pay, lots of possibilities for movement

Consnone. I love my job.

Advice to Senior Managementshare the positive

Very rewarding

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

ProsPeople, managment and everyday challenges.

ConsExtremely very busy work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Not sure I can stay to retire

Director (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay and excellent benefits. There are opportunities to move and promote within the organization, even to other states. Great use of technology.

ConsThe retirement plan keeps diminishing and the hospital sides healthplan for employees is not as good as it used to be.
Employees get away with a lot because the lawyers are afraid to terminate, especially managers and above.
Cutting employees without looking for waste elsewhere is shortsighted.
Life work balance is supposed to be valued, but the job responsibilities keep growing, with the number of people to do the work decreasing
Tuition reimbursement is minimal- does not show a true belief in higher education ($1000/yr)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to terminate employees who do not follow the rules. The rules mean nothing when employees see others getting away with breaking them.
Stop looking at metrics and start looking at what is behind the metric- you may be very suprised!

Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

ProsPay, benefits, flexibility, and potential for career advancement.

ConsI actually have a fairly good job, am getting paid the most I ever have in my working career, and have an excellent relationship with my supervisor. However, the problems lie with the union rules making it hard to fire bad employees. I am one of the good apples among a bunch of rotting fruit. About 95% of my coworkers have worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and have become lazy, immature, miserable, constant complainers who treat people like crap and act like the office is a high school classroom instead of a workplace. Most of them are also not trying to change their situation, but will gripe about any changes that take place within Kaiser or our department that does not directly benefit them somehow.

With that, my supervisor and union representatives highly encourage employees to use the education benefits that are offered to us. So, if one does wish to transition out of his or her current position into another one within Kaiser, all one has to do is go back to school, pick a major that is of interest, let Kaiser pay for the majority of it, and move forward.

Working in the type of atmosphere I described in the first paragraph can be discouraging and cause low morale; however, I continue to do above and beyond my best. My supervisor is not to blame, as managers and supervisors can't immediately get rid of the bad employees or hold back their raise due to union rules. If it were just myself and the other employees who actually do the work that we were hired to do and my supervisor in the office, I would LOVE IT, and give Kaiser five stars!

Aside from all this, the company has been focusing quite a lot on staying healthy and also giving rewards to employees for maintaining good health/practicing healthy behaviors, which is more than any other company for which I have worked, so I give them a thumbs up for that.

Overall, I think Kaiser is a good company to work for, just need a better system to get rid of the slackers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to get rid of bad employees and get them out as fast as you can!

Awesome!

Pharmacy Technician Extern (Former Employee)
Vacaville, CA (US)

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople I worked with were fantastic, there's always something to do to keep busy.

ConsThe hospital can be a little confusing at first. It is a pretty big hospital.

Human Resources Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

ProsFriendly staff. Opportunity to network and meet new people throughout the organization.

ConsCan be stressful and since it is a hospital work never stops.

Awesome benefits even for part-timers!

Scheduling/Staffing (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery flexible with time off and scheduling. Health benefits are great. Not a lot of turnover in the worker bee ranks. Great 401k and retirement benefits.

ConsManagement seems to be in a constant state of flux. It is a large organization and it can seem impersonal at times. Don't get caught in the politics...I guess this goes for any place of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure this Obamacare out, get ahead of the curve and don't look back.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!

Kaiser Permanente Videos

Kaiser Permanente – Why Work for Us?

At Kaiser Permanente, we stand for health. Yours. Ours. Everyone’s. That means we advocate the well-being of people and their parts—like hips and hearts, for instance. And to better serve those parts, we study them. In… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaiser Permanente reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kaiser Permanente CEO Bernard J. Tyson. All 1,345 reviews are posted anonymously by Kaiser Permanente employees.