Kangaroo Express

Updated 28 August 2014
Updated 28 August 2014
2.2

Dennis G. Hatchell

Great experience and working environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austinville, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austinville, VA (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Your regular customers make you feel at home, like having another family.

Cons

Opportunity to advance was put on a freeze. The GM was not a very good one, never took accountability for anything

Make your employees feel like they are important and the work that they do.

Too much expected, not enough pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vicksburg, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vicksburg, MS (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing about working here is the flexible hours. They are willing to let you take time off when needed for trips and such if needed.

Cons

The hours they give are cut back all the time, part timers (which is everyone except management) get about 20 hours/week. They pay slightly above minimum wage, but expect employees (usually working by themselves) to complete a large list of required duties within their shift, while also serving all customers that walk in.

There are no benefits at all for part-timers (no vacation, no paid time off, no paid holidays and no insurance) and most stores are open 24 hours/7 days a week throughout the whole year, which means you will have to work most holidays. As for holidays, the company will only pay time and half for 3 of them, Independence Day, Christmas day, and 1 other (can't remember which one right now).

Consider modeling yourselves on QuikTrip. They pay their employees well, have more opportunities for advancement, and pay much better on the higher tiers as well as the lower. If you pay more, people are willing to do more, and stick around longer.

Not great but not bad

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are willing to learn and work, you can advance into assistant and store manager positions fairly easy.

Cons

The company can often make employees feel like they are cannon fodder, though they have gotten better over the past few years.

Listen to your store managers, most of them know more about whats going on in their store than the DM or RGM.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loveed it

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun fast and love the folks

Cons

Robbery that's all that was my far

Keep it professional

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Deli Associate  in  Union, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Union, SC (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

I find it extremely hard to find pros for this company. Their pay is horrible and the management is even worse than the pay. I absolutely hated it.

Cons

Pretty much everything. The management was absolutely horrible, the store was unsanitary. Not to mention I was like the only white person there and I felt it was a little biased towards the african americans.

Review your store managers before you appoint them.

Lead assistant manager

Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

the customers and some of the other associates.

Cons

They pay here sucks. wasn't even making 10 an hr to be a lead assistant manger. The manager that took over the store I was at didn't even know how to do her job. She wasn't even trying to keep the back room straightened or doing her side job. I was pregnant and did more of my and her job then what she did. She couldn't even keep the safe right every time i would come in after her the safe would be off.

Learn how to do your job before trying to tell others they ain't doing theirs right. And quit letting third shift get away with NEVER doing their work. Also up the pay no one wants to make 8 or less for 28 hrs or less a week. Then this company wonders why they have such a HUGE turn over rate.

Management is quite lacking.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good part time job
    most people you encounter are friendly
    Not a hard job to do

Cons

Need to have higher up friend in order to move up
    They will constantly view the cameras, not accuse you of stealing but constantly view your days on the camera
    Management is very lax, your expected to do their job and tell them when we need to order things for the store
    Crime rate in some areas is bad, drunks are a serious issue. Be prepared to call the police during 2nd and 3rd shifts. Do not try and fight them or you will lose your job. Theives are common you will be expected to take nossles away from certain people and take product away from thieves.
     Not a good full time job
    not very flexible when you need to ask for important days off regardless if you ask or schedule them months in advance, they will always have some short term notice, a day before, that you cant go because for what ever reason
    Overall, dont work there unless its going to be short term, hours are 20-36 pt and full time is only 34-38.

Hire better managers. Stop the stealing from fellow managers. More accountability. Division managers need more training in selecting of slots.

Too many double standards, too many family members working together and the boss is related to them.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Greenville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, NC (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Things change daily. Never boring. meeting new customers and new people. co workers are mostly friendly. Time goes by quickly.

Cons

Still "boys club" Different rules for different people. nepotism is huge. The DM shows some managers how to use shortcuts that are not policy.

Be more consistent with rules and issues. Too many relatives as managers and employees in the stores and the DM is related to all of them.

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free soda, really that is it.

Cons

Awful pay, you are lucky if you make more than minimum wage. Management is incompetent and easily the worst customers I've dealt with.

Stop micromanaging.

poor communication to all employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express for more than 8 years

Pros

I am full time and management has been fair that i get my hours,

Cons

Management does not communicate well to all employees. Word of mouth from other employees is how things are communicated. We are told to do one thing and in a few day or weeks it has gone by the way side. Two people on a shift and when thing are not done one person get the blame. Managers seems to be quitting right and left and years of service to the company. it is time to Make it a fun place to work and less griping from our bosses and assistant managers are lousy managers and do as little as they can get by with

Better communication to all employees on a daily basis. find ways to make it fun and every one will get along and the extra task wont be so hum drum Follow policy if the main thing and stop telling us do ith this way on week and then the next do it another.
    Get the company to have a real training program

Worked for Kangaroo Express? Contribute to the Community!