Kaplan University

Updated 3 March 2015
Updated 3 March 2015

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino
Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall atmosphere was high pressure sales to clients and representatives (in 5 reviews)

• For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for innovation and personal growth but always at the expense of employees work-life balance (imbalance)

Current Employee - Curriculum and Innovation in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Curriculum and Innovation in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

Awesome place to learn and achieve personal growth. Truly cares about students and providing the best possible service. Students definitely benefit and earn their degree in a nurturing and well designed environment. Company always has a student focus. Benefits are generally good.

Cons

Work life balance is horrible for employees. The amount of work expectation is never considered when requiring new projects. Being a virtual company seems to allow the company to ignore the constant unrealistic demands that are put on employees and this is never considered when asking for more out of employees. Even though there is a yearly survey to try to fix the work-balance, which indicates concern, the intention quickly becomes forgotten until the next survey a year later. This seems to be due to the desire to have the work done without wanting to obtain the resources that would make it possible. So the leaders making these decisions forget the life balance in favor of pushing their own agendas. This has been going on for years. Most people love the company until they are just used up and have to leave to regain their life back. Even with raises we make less and less per hour every year so leaving eventually becomes the best solution.

Before requiring your employees to do a new project, complete a piece of it yourself. This will help you to see that it is never as easy as you keep saying it is and then be realistic about the time and resources these projects take. This is all it would take to be fair to employees because we all want to do our best. We understand the need to do these projects, we only ask for a realistic timeframe and appropriate resources. Once in a while is fine but project after project, month after month, and year after year eventually only hurts Kaplan by losing your intellectual capital. Don't set per ammeters that you yourself couldn't do if you were the one who was put upon to make it happen.

If you are looking for a traditional higher ed career look elswhere. Run like a business, not a college.

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

Many, but not all, on site colleagues care about serving at-risk, underserved students and changing lives. Efforts to retain students go beyond many other colleges, even those that claim to care most.

Cons

Being for-profit, for many employees, presents challenges that lead to ethical drift or at least the temptation of ethical drift, and that is an energy drainer, whether one gives in or resists.

Review the failures of Viet Nam. One key reason we lost was because of grandiose leaders who thought they knew better from 5000 miles away what needed done on the front lines. Flip the org chart upside down. Stop being so isolated and learn from the huge amounts of wisdom that exist outside of the organization - stop being so incestuous.

Education Advisor

Current Employee - Education Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An opportunity to learn about the online college and ever expanding education industry, has pretty good benefits. The work life balance is good. If you love people it gives you the opportunity to have a positive impact on people, by building relationships and helping them to achieve their career goals through higher education.

Cons

As the economy suffered, like many companies they've learned to run on a leaner staff. The day to day task are extremely out of line and don't commiserate with the salary. They've gotten away from the culture that challenged you, but left you feeling fulfilled. There is a workhorse mentality that doesn't do well to show appreciation in valuable ways that make their employees feel truly appreciated.

Get back to the basic that made this University Great! Reestablish the culture that make it a great place to work, because the gifts of appreciation were of value and not cheap attempts to appear that you care. Remember happy employees make for happier students.

Senior Admissions Advisor specializing in the Military

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

I had the opportunity to help our Active Military, Vets and their families to get an Accredited Academic Degree.

Cons

It's a call center environment.

Can't honestly say what management is like today.

Thinking About This Great Business :-)

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

They are visionaries, understand how to adapt and take care of their teams :-)

Cons

If anything, I hope they continue to expand internal professional development.

Keep up the great work :-)

Working for the Campus is not good; Online is a the Golden Child

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Kaplan for 8 years. The first 6 were great. I liked the company but more so the people I worked with. I was able to build my team, train, hit my goals and get rewarded for it. I had great support with my first 3 bosses. But no where for me to go up in the company.

Cons

Poor leadership from the top down. I had 6 bosses in 8 years. The last 3 were the worst, no leadership skills. The last one had didn't know how to lead, work with women nor could make his own decisions. The corporate office functions like a high school - if you are in the right group you are protected. If not, you will not be valued.

Remeber your purpose the student and educating them. Instead of failing people up, cut the fat and non-performing so that the lower levels can have the resources need to operate. There is nothing wrong about being the best educator in the for-profit sphere. Paying big dollars to top folks who don't make an impact is a shame to the hard working folks helping to make the bottom line.

Chaotic at best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

The on-site cafeteria was the best part

Cons

Constant turnover, lackluster management, no visibility

Can't find a job making more $ for what we do...

Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High salaries for those who've been in the business/company for 5+ yrs (not so much for new employees). Great benefits package compared to the competition.

Cons

Easily replaceable by others who will work for far less $ and that point is driven home daily. KU used to be a great place to work. Now, only the salary and benefits package are keeping me here. It went from a university to a sweatshop. Our goals are constantly increasing, but our salaries are stagnant. Favoritism and unequal opportunities abound, but everyone on a team has the same goal. So it doesn't matter if one advisor gets 20 good leads and another gets 2, you both have to have 20 enrollments to keep your job. We're not allowed to drum up our own business so you better hope you can take enough to get by (from those who are fed and aren't able to follow up like they should). There is enough business at the table for everyone to eat, but some are given steak while others get beans. Why can't we all have hamburgers?

Use conversation rates to judge employee performance, not shear number of enrollments when the opportunities aren't dispersed equally. Let your advisor's records speak for themselves. Just because someone is in a bit of a slump doesn't mean they aren't valuable employees. If an advisor has had a solid performance for 5+ years, you shouldn't fire them for a few recently missed goals. There is no job security, even for the top-producers. We ALL wonder when we're going to get the tap on the shoulder to be walked out of here.

Salary

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

Business Casual dress code. Office accessible by train.

Cons

Too many rapid changes to processes.