Kaplan University

Updated 21 November 2014
Updated 21 November 2014

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino
Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall atmosphere was high pressure sales to clients and representatives (in 5 reviews)

• For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Enthusiastic People but Discouraging for Teachers

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at the Learning Center level are all enthusiastic, positive, and dedicated to student success.

Cons

Curriculum is designed by corporate and not flexible enough to accommodate all types of students. Admissions procedures do not take into account whether students are actually prepared for college level courses. There's a real disconnect between expectations and reality.

Provide students the tools they need to succeed. Remedial courses are needed to prepare students for college level work; the curriculum provided for Comp I assumes students can compose a simple sentence, and, due to an absence of admissions requirements, this is rarely the case.

Another Call Center Masquerading as a University

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is very top notch and informative I felt very prepared for my role as an Admissions Advisor. The pay is good and you receive benefits and PTO from the first day, which you don't see very often from most companies. Finally, there is a cafeteria on site so you don't need to go out for lunch (1hr)

Cons

Well after training and all the dog and pony shows...you come out into production. During the interview, I was told we are helping students improve their lives, which is true to a point. That changed when the manager informed us that "this is a sales job." They weren't wrong neither when they said that since if you didn't hit your targets it was strike one. If it happens again strike two, and finally strike three...Your'e Out!!! I've done lots of phone work before and to this day, that was one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had. Management has been known to play favorites, so if you're not on The A Team, then its a long ride uphill. Since then they have changed some things, so if you decide to interview ask lots of questions,

Treat your employees like they are more than just a number and listen to their concerns.

Great Company Vision with Misaligned Growth/Salary Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great people to work with. I was able to perfect my craft, but only because I was self-driven to excel. Opportunity to grow, but unfortunately capped.

Cons

1. Company core values changed so frequently that it was hard for them to stick and create a true company culture.
    2. For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life
    3. Management was not consistent with managing employees on the same team and on the same role although KPI's were exactly the same, the inconsistency was unprofessional. A lot of favortism

The Pay is not competitve/close to industry standards and not adjusted to rising cost of living. One of the main reasons I left was due to the pay not being adjusted appropriately. The national average salary for the role I performed was 120k and local average salary is 102k, when I left I was making 59k. That is nearly half of the local average salary. After leaving I was offered lateral opportunities at other companies with all offers providing a minimum of a 40% increase. Although money is not the biggest motivator, when you are paid so poorly it can hurt moral. Providing additional PTO is not a sufficient way to make employees happier when there was limited ability to take time off due to poor work/life balance in many operational roles.

A growing company with great vision

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked here for 8years truly enjoyed my time. Unfortunately, I was laid off. They are a continually growing company with a great vision. Open door policy with most managers. Great benefits and work/life balance is important to them

Cons

Recent major layoffs throughout the company

Review salaries in the industry and pay accordingly. Because of the fast growth, time should be taken to restructure the financial aid dept

Good experience

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

Gained Admissions Experience and customer service

Cons

Too Sales focused within the comapny

It has its upsnamd downs

Current Employee - Academic Ops in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Academic Ops in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multiple schedules, great benefits, multiple locations, great product

Cons

Terrible management, no room for growth, constant layoffs, little employee recognition, favoritsm and high employee turnover

We are people too, not just a pulse! We are willing to work harder, we just need appropriate recognition, growth and loyalty!

Kaplan was ok

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Many good people working there

Cons

was suppose to be contract to perm... perm did not fan out

Kaplan is why teachers quit teaching

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Greenbelt, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Greenbelt, MD (US)

I worked at Kaplan University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I would like to say Kaplan provides students the ability to learn a profession and skills to advance in the real world... For a select few, it does.
    There are teachers there who genuinely care for their work and their students.

Cons

The school didnt provide the materials needed for class.
    The school admitted students who could not afford to attend.
    The school admitted students who were uneducated - they could barely do basic math, read or write.
    The school admitted students who did not want to be there - I had students that were ordered to attend by a court.
    The school hired teachers who were not qualified to teach the subjects they were teaching.
    The school required teachers to do hours of unpaid work per day.
    The list goes on and on...

Listen to your staff!

They are very helpful in making you secede in the field of you studies.

Current Employee - Library/Tutor in Urbandale, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Library/Tutor in Urbandale, IA (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

We can work around our schedule for school and be able to help ones that are in need of help .

Cons

I really have not found anything bad about it here as when a person has a problem they are right there to help get it resolved.

We are having some problems in printing out our digital ebook as they cut off the right side on to book as it is being printed

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Graduate Admissions in Plantation, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Admissions in Plantation, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers

Cons

Pressure to. enroll students. It doesn't matter if the person is grad student material.

Listen more to your advisors and make it more about great student experience.