Kaplan University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino

Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

• Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a high pressure sales job (in 5 reviews)

• They watch your every move and they are a sales job (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

Student Coordinator (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsThere are no pros for working at this establishment.

ConsEnvironment, Training, atmosphere and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved.

Thankful I Don't Work There Anymore

Full Time Faculty (Former Employee) South Portland, ME (US)

ProsI liked working at Kaplan University at first - great co-workers, enthusiastic students, flexible hours and decent pay and benefits.

ConsThere is no local control, everything, including what instructors do in their classrooms (down to the quizzes and assignments given) is dictated by corporate employees who have never stepped foot in a classroom. The local management is vindictive. Overall it is run like a business not a school and it looks out for its own business interests, not the best interests of students and staff. There is no communication between departments and no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrutinize how the local management treats employees, there is a reason for the revolving door.

Kaplan University has a high turnover rate!

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsA paycheck while it lasts, great training program.

ConsYou never have job security, if you are doing well you better continue to maintain those results or you will be gone in 3 weeks maximum!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMakes employees feel more valued and not just a number.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a very rewarding experience I learned more about Financial Aid than I knew before

Student Loan Counselor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThey believe in learning, they offer training to expand your experience the managers are very approachable, very friendly atmosphere.

ConsNot enough area for breaks and lunch times

Horrible culture.

Director (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsHaving worked at Kaplan makes me appreciate how much better other companies are to work for. The experience made my skin so thick, I can take anything.

ConsOverall, most of the employees are negative, miserable, unpleasant, and unapproachable. The handful of employees who don't fit into this category only stay there because they feel trapped, since management continually reminds people that they should "be grateful that they have a job". The overall culture is one where everyone is out for themselves and it's a big CYA environment. It is common practice to be in a meeting where people are openly criticized in front of everyone.

There are a core group of employees who have been with Kaplan for many years and have formed their own group that has the same feel as a high school clique. They treat everyone else like an outsider, they only support the agenda of those inside of their clique, and the company forgives them for their lack of maturity and professionalism because of their institutional knowledge.

There are huge gaps between the intent of the company that is articulated by the CEO and what actually happens in the day-to-day operations. High performers who are unethical are continually rewarded by upper management who turns a blind eye to their practices.

The executive leadership believes that being an employee-focused employer means to deploy programs such as allowing employees to wear jeans everyday, when they miss the mark on truly appreciating the contributions of each individual.

It is a common practice to promise a promotion to someone, only to continually pile on more and more work to be used as a carrot to get the promotion. And even when the employee meets the performance criteria set forth, the carrot is continually moved and excuses are given as to why the promotion doesn't occur.

The HR department is not an employee advocate and will retaliate against employees who speak up about their leaders using fear and intimidation practices. Workplace bullies are rampant and protected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's probably time to clean house and remove the leaders who have created such a poor culture. Unfortunately, it starts from the very top, so I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. My advice to employees: leave. There are so many better places to work.

Working with knowledgeable professionals

Tech Support (Former Employee) Davenport, IA (US)

ProsThe professionals at Kaplan University Davenport, IA. Bring their real-world experience to the class room as well as provide leadership to those employed with the organization.

ConsThe down side (if any) is the limited time for those employed through the student work study program which limits hours to 1000. There is always more to learn by being allowed to stay on under the tutelage of professional and there for would be to the advantage of students to be there longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that students who show dedication to duty and attention to detail should be offered an opportunity for full time employment!

Decent job experience.

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsDecent pay and tuition is covered %100.

ConsWorking every Saturday and having a tough quota to meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make it such a numbers game.

A stressful temporary work situation

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Plantation, FL (US)

ProsFun working with peers at times
    Very fulfilling working with students because you're making a difference
    Good job to have if transitioning jobs

ConsHigh rate of turnover (about every 6 months there is a mass firing)
    Stressful to meet quotas
    Department and individual goals constantly changing which sometimes puts you in the less favorable position
    Job is never secure
    Care about profits over employes
    Management deceives employees that it will be a new prosperous career but its a people mill

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about the rate of turnover so people can have more stability and security in home life.

Current Professor: Sad and Pessimistic

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Town Line, NY (US)

ProsOn-line learning tools are powerful and it's possible to develop real relationships with students. Some of the faculty are excellent and care about everything they do.

ConsThere is no opportunity for growth or advancement. The school's business model is based on not paying faculty a fair rate. I am working more hours today than I was three years ago for about 40% less pay. Although I enjoy much of what I do for Kaplan University I feel as if I am being cruelly taken advantage of.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage faculty to JOIN A UNION. Management should spend a couple of years working part-time for no benefits and for about 20% of what they are making now.

Great learning experience...not the best management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearned Alot, Nice People, Working Hours

ConsTargets, Goals Unclear, Management too high level

Advice to Senior ManagementGet down to the trenches more often and really understand the flaws of the operation

Worked for Kaplan University? Contribute to the Community!