Kelly Services

Updated 24 October 2014
3.2

Kelly Services President, CEO, and Director Carl T. Camden
Carl T. Camden

Pros
  • You get to work from home so no gas or car insurance needed (in 43 reviews)

• The work/ life balance is more than average (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, or reason to aspire to stay with the organization (in 33 reviews)

• 3 an hour less than full-time employees doing the same work and more (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Kelly Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive environment, encouraged to develop and progress. Ongoing training. Good work life balance.

Cons

Career progression limited due to flat structure.

Carry on doing what you are doing

Recruitment Consultant

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Kelly Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice team, team based bonus structure, yearly expenses paid European team get together in a European city such as Lisbon

Cons

We were not allowed to claim food expenses when we went to client meetings, Training team made redundant when I started so no training given to new starters, no benefits

Poor managers in place

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Kelly Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

location, location, location, location, location

Cons

managers are very sly and big gossips, all talk about employees behind their back. Cannot confide in your manager without the rest of your team knowing. Emails are sent around talking about people. Really bad brand to sell - clients hate the Kelly brand and it is still known as very high street. You are almost laughed at!!!! Have no budget so all functions stopped ie end of year awards. Very poor commission structure they retain 25% of your commission til the following feb. No room for progression

Get new ones who are less bitchy and actually able to be show consultants how to make money rather than people who have just been there forever and hard to shift from company.

It was fab until I had children

I worked at Kelly Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people were great to work with, I met a great deal of different people and cultures, and I was able to travel and progress my career through the time I was there

Cons

Politics, lack of structure or vision - there was never a clear roadmap for IT services and management were often changing their mind as to the company goals, there was also a high turnover at management level, a clear favor for single workers without families

Get some clarity and unity on what the goals are for the company and communicate them better.

Supportive leadership team who recognise passion amongst it's employees with exciting opportunities for those that do.

Current Employee - UK Management Role in London, England
    Current Employee - UK Management Role in London, England

I have been working at Kelly Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started working for Kelly in 2003 in a role that was created for me based on my talent and experience. I've experienced development, significant promotion, reward & recognition since then. The best asset that Kelly have are it's people. The support people are willing to give no matter how busy they are is amazing. Sadly, I was TUPE'd from Kelly in 2009 but when I was presented with an opportunity to come back I jumped at the chance.

Cons

Though it is a global company we are quite a small unit in the UK in comparison which has limited the speed in which others can be promoted within. It does also mean that you have to wear lots of different hats to get the job done. Good experience gained as a result though.

Due to low headcount resource many individuals are working long hours to get the job done which makes the company less desirable to stay with.

Kelly has come a long way, we're different now, we're strong, we're not afraid to listen and to change.

Current Employee - Management in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Management in Manchester, England

I have been working at Kelly Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Kelly is passionate about delivering excellence and everyone who works for the organisation is clear on this mission. Leadership at Kelly is transparent, accessible, open and encouraging. Talent and contribution is appropriately recognized and individual development taken seriously. A warm and honest employer, working for Kelly is recommended to anyone who wants to learn from the best, work with the best, and be their best.

Cons

Every business needs improvements but I firmly endorse that Kelly is an organisation that listens - to its employees, its clients and the market, in order to change and grow in the right way. Everyone at Kelly can own this continual improvement, it's what makes us different.

Monitoring of same/similar positions within the industry is key to ensuring the best possible talent is attracted and maintained. Compensation and Benefits should be reviewed regularly to achieve competitive advantage for all employees.

fabulous grounding

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Kelly Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

really good team that I worked with, taught a structured apprach to recruitment

Cons

can be a bit clicky in the senior management team

"One of the best staffing and reliable agencies"

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Kelly Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for growth, many opportunities to discover where you want to work at and where you would like to go as well. You are exposed to all different fields from healthcare, insurance, the financial department and more. You get exposed to different people and you can really find out what assignment or job just may be best for you in the long run.

Cons

Training, can be overwhelming especially going from one assignment to another assignment. You need to develop quick skills to adapt fast for another job.

Advice to management just being more detailed with directions, more specific with all of the details for the job, being more professional, and taking the jobs more seriously.

They are an agency that actually cares and offers employees a fair wage.

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Kelly Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very kind people. They don't gouge your paycheck with their "finders fee" The recruters are good at briefing you about what to expect with the companies that they recruit from.

Cons

It can be hard to get ahold of someone in the office. I don't think there is enough staff in the office to handle the amount of employees they put to work. (They do try to maintain it though). There isn't a lot of work avaliable in their database, so if your assignment is up, you prob won't hear from them for a few months.

Hire more people to help with the employee issues.

Enjoyable, but not the industry for me.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Kelly Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The community was good, I worked in the office and enjoyed my boss and the recruiters. Gave me opportunities to work on different projects throughout my time there.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth in the recruiter position it seemed like (I was not a recruiter). The recruiting manager was extremely experienced in recruiting and knew what he was doing, but was jaded and negative most of the time, which brought others down.

Management could definitely spend more time showing care to the employees and investing in their lives to make them feel more valuable. Too much importance was put on numbers, and not enough on people (especially for a staffing agency).