Kennedy Krieger Institute

Add Photos

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein

Gary W. Goldstein

Insightful!

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsGreat benefits! The tuition benefit and live near your work program are great incentives!

ConsNot a lot of room for growth depending on what department you work for but is a great place to gain experience. Needs more training and professional development programs for mid-line managers and lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make human capital management more of a priority.

Great people work here!

Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsKennedy Krieger Institute is a great learning experience. The employees here are caring and intelligent people who you enjoy working with. They put patient's best interest at heart. Health benefits are great, and there is free parking!

ConsLow compensation. Depending what your job is, there may be a high turn over rate due to the nature of the job (understandably). May have politics within the department you work for, but that may be true in most work places.

Since I have a Psych degree the one-to-one care, and treatments I learned were worth it. I worked there for 3yrs.

Clinical Assistant I (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros-You meet great people that will most likely become life-long friends.
    -If your into human behavior this is definitely a perfect place to gain experience with harder disorders.
    -A great place to move up in your career. (The overall hospital not the Neurobehavioral Unit).
    -Tuition reimbursement after 6 months.

Cons-Time off is difficult depending on staffing.
    - FT you have to work all weekends. PT you have to work 1 weekend day most likely an eve shift.
    -No union due to the hospital being Non-profit, meaning your job is not secure and a rumor may get your fired so be careful.
    -Expect to be injured, and they will not compensate you until your 4th day out of work.
    -Turn over rate is high due to injury, and severity of how dangerous the job can be.
    -The recruiter looks for former graduates and college students because school is reimbursed, however you may not receive this reimbursement until after 6 months and during the interview you are told that you probably wont make it to six months because the turn-over rate is so high.
    -Employee appreciation rarely exists, so expect long hours, mandatory overtime, lots of on-calls, no weekends off, no holidays off, sometimes you will not have a break, and write-ups are very common.
    -Supervisors can be unreliable, childish, and treat employees as if they are children despite the knowledge or work ethic.
    -While training on the unit current employees are told to hide the truth behind the job as a means to not scare prospective employees off.
    -Almost every employee hates the job and expresses it while working.
    -For the amount of work and hours, the pay is just a touch over minimum wage. (And this includes the raises that were given in 2014)
    -When asking a supervisor a question expect to be redirected multiple times because no one ever knows the solution.

Advice to Senior Management-Increase pay
    -Appreciate employees.
    -improve working conditions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clinical Assistant I

Clinical Assistant I (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsVery hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

ConsHard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

Mostly happy.

Developmental Pediatrician (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsGreat people. Positive work environment. It's all about helping children with disabilities and disorders of brain and spinal cord.

ConsLarge organization. Relatively low salaries.

Providing cutting edge education and research for children with special needs.

Special Education (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsGood environment, talented coworkers, great benefits

ConsLow salary range and poor parking availability

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about telecommuting when possible

It is a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the industry.

Faculty (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsWorking on cutting edge research with industry leaders and world recognized personnel. It provides a diverse and challenging workload that can be very rewarding.

ConsLow salary and very demanding work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that tolerating poor performers is frustrating and demotivating to the top performers.

Hire people for their skills and not because they have family there

CNA (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsGreat Doctors and caring Physician Asst

Consno more family working in the same job area

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better training in dealing with truthful people not untruthful ones respect everyone no matter what title people LIE!!!!!!!

Overall Experience Horrible

Clinical Assistant I (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros1.Experience is good for resume.
    2.Builds skills for hardworking and multitasking capabilities.

Cons1. Upper Management has a lot of attitude for no reason, specially the scheduling lady; shows you a rude attitude for no reason.
    2. Unfair system, don't care about anything except there company
    3. Schedule flexibility is horrible
    4. Not understanding, write you up for dumb stuff; like being sick even with a doctors note
    5. Very very very unreasonable at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to favoriting, just because someone had been there a year versus 7 months doesn't mean automatically you should be nice to the person who was there longer yet a terrible employee versus the 7 month employee. Learn to be understanding, and actually think your employees are humans. Were not trash for you to use and throw away whenever you want. All the employees work really hard in the NBU. We work harder then you supervisors who sit there in the room the whole time. Also learn to assign patients to the proper size CA's. It is the dumbest thing to assign the biggest patient to a small person who will head butt them a kill them at the spot. You guys have no common sense; and sometimes knowing you have your favorite employees and give them the patients they want. JUst out of favoritism but then the ones who are not your favorite are stuck with the ridiculous huge patients.

Great overall company to be apart of

ProsVery lenient with PTO
    Not very many people you won't get along with
    A lot of locations so depending on where you're at is where you'll most likely be

ConsCertain jobs don't have very much room to move up, more lateral moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf theres not much room to move up then allow for better increases. This can be hard though until the economy improves.

Worked for Kennedy Krieger Institute? Contribute to the Community!