Kennedy Krieger Institute

Updated 21 January 2015
3.6

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

A great training experience, though the compensation is not so great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

Great training at a world class institution; supervisors are fantastic;

Cons

The pay is not great and I was not a huge fan of living in Baltimore.

Continue the great training, consider bumping-up the pay.

Good place to work, not great pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Good training experience, good work environment, and supervisors are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

The pay is not good and I've heard that the work-life balance is not as good as it once was, but it was reasonable when I was there.

Wonderful Opportunity for Professional Development, Although Not Long-Term

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked on the Neurobehavioral Unit (NBU) for almost two years.

- Wonderful benefits (401k immediately after hire, tuition reimbursement, computer payment plan, health care, and all the bells and whistles).
    - Great opportunity to work in the field of psychology, autism, and applied behavior analysis.
    - Although hard work, seeing the patients from day one to the day of discharge can be very rewarding.
    - They are willing to work with you on your schedule, especially if you're a student (majority of the NBU are undergrad or grad students). You will be working evening shift for a while but, however, you'll be able to get onto day shift in no time, even as a part-timer. Just fill out the paper work and follow up.
    - The Program Specialists were always helpful and very supportive, especially if you've always been honest with them. (i.e., calling out, opportunities for growth, issues such as bereavement).
    - You are guaranteed an hour-long break.
    - Promotions open up often, which provides opportunities for growth for all employees.
    - You can shadow a therapist for a day shift. REALLY great opportunity in getting to know the behavior team and see what they do.

Cons

- KKI's policy on providing references is that it ONLY applies to KKI itself or for a college/university limits professional recommendations to outside companies.
    - Little staff appreciation. CA of the Month award always goes to the same 10 people each month and the fried chicken buffet every August means little.
    - Coworkers hate the job and openly complain about it throughout your shift.
    - Write ups occur often, especially over frivolous things. A rumor can get your fired.
    - Neoptism from management and therapist teams tend to reward underqualified and/or incompetent employees.
    - High intensity environment of the NBU leads to high turn over rates. People have even walked out on the job during shifts.
    - No negotiation for the already low salary. I was offered CA III for $12.85 an hour compared to my new job that pays significantly more and less than 10 minutes away from me.
    - Inflexibility of schedule logisitics. For instance, you're required to sign up for a certain amount of on-calls every six weeks, full-time must work Saturday and Sunday unless promoted, and part-time were required to work at least one weekend shift. Turning down on-calls and mandatory overtime result in automatic write-ups.

- Stop encouraging neoptism by Unit Coordinators, Therapists, and subordinates.
    - Appreciating your employees goes a long way.
    - Compensate your employees more.

Could be worse like being unemployed.

Current Employee - Healthcare Administration Professional in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Healthcare Administration Professional in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to build working relationships. Benefits are okay and tuition reimbursement is great. The company is great with its patients, families and community.

Cons

Sometimes hard work, skills and dedication is not enough because unless you know someone it is very difficult to move around within the company. After years of merit increases it is difficult for a veteran employee to transfer to a different department because the position starting pay is lower than the employees current salary. There is a lot of nepotism,,,that is all I am saying on that.

Allow employment opportunities for current employees to work in the field they have obtained their degree in such as social work, accounting, business management, etc. "can't gain experience without training first"

Clinical Assistant

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers! Day shift during the week is awesome! Team members are very helpful. It is awesome to see a child progress and their behaviors diminish.

Cons

Stressful and tiring. It's takes a special person to work on this unit. You will be wiped out after a few days. Scheduling can be rough as well, especially with on calls!

Great coworkers, management left a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The health insurance and pto was fantastic. Good for the resume.

Cons

Very toxic work environment. Poor management. Very low salaries.

Clinical Assistant

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with special needs children and you gain a lot of experience. The Perks are great.

Cons

Whoever is writing the reviews of 4 and 5 is obviously the recruiter. This job is dangerous. Be prepared to bitten, kicked, slapped, thrown up on and everything else. You are with the children 24/7. Since this is the inpatient unit, be expected to work around the clock! The only reason there is so many college students here is because of the college reimbursement incentive. That's if you make it to 6 months. The supervisors just sit behind a glass window and bark orders all day, while we inside a room being slapped around by children. Also if there is a big patient, they don't care about weight class, they will put a small person in the room to handle them and pray they don't headbutt you to death. Management show favoritism. Whatever horror stories you heard about this job is the TRUTH, don't let the supervisors fool you into thinking it's not! Most ppl leave as soon as they realize what the job entails, that's why they are always hiring Clinical Assistants!

Don't be so quick to fire someone, because they don't understand something. None of the supervisors stepped up to the plate to help me during training, when they knew I was struggling!

Insightful!

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits! The tuition benefit and live near your work program are great incentives!

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth depending on what department you work for but is a great place to gain experience. Needs more training and professional development programs for mid-line managers and lower level employees.

Try to make human capital management more of a priority.

Great people work here!

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kennedy Krieger Institute is a great learning experience. The employees here are caring and intelligent people who you enjoy working with. They put patient's best interest at heart. Health benefits are great, and there is free parking!

Cons

Low compensation. Depending what your job is, there may be a high turn over rate due to the nature of the job (understandably). May have politics within the department you work for, but that may be true in most work places.