KidsPeace Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
45 reviews filtered by

Great Co-Workers

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers were an amazing team. I thoroughly enjoyed working with them every day. It's hard to find an organization where you enjoy what you do and also the people you work with. It felt like we were all working towards one common goal

Cons

As with any non-profit, money is tight and it's hard not to get increases year after year and stay motivated to stay.

Advice to Management

Make yourselves more available to your staff and share as much as you can. Communication is key to happy employees!

Good Experience in the Mental Health Field.

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady scheduling, 1st or 2nd with tons of opportunity for overtime in the busy months. Rewarding at times.

Cons

Not enough staff on units with large groups of kids, which leaves possibility for crisis situations. Poor management. Not all staff on the same page with kid's needs. Staff left alone with dangerous kids, leading to assaults.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your staff.

Terrible Job, Long Hours, Very Little Sleep, Low Pay, Mandatory Weekends

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Orefield, PA (US)

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is always available when you want it, health benefits are decent, the campus scenery (forest) is great, great opportunity to find the things you hate about a job

Cons

Low pay, long hours, you have to work the WHOLE weekend, on weekends it is common to work late at night and then have to come in next morning, very little room for advancement, clients are either ghetto innercity kids or completely psychotic, not enough staff which can lead to dangerous situations, management never listens to the complaints of the techs....WORST 8 months of my life!!!

Advice to Management

STOP taking all of the money for yourselves! Kidspeace has a decent chunk of money coming in but most of the money goes to the TOP executives, not the lower level workers. Each client pays 700-800/day to be there. Increase the pay for lower level workers so that there are enough people who want to be mental health techs. You people in upper level management making fortunes should cut your pay. Some of the houses on campus are downright dangerous because the kids have severe issues and the place is understaffed.

5. I love the job, hate the company

Current Employee - Senior Mental Health Technician in Schnecksville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mental Health Technician in Schnecksville, PA (US)

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love helping the kids in need and the job is very rewarding. It feels great to know that I may make a huge impact on these kids lives.

Cons

compensation, dangerously understaffed, stressful environment, house managers suck

6. Good company, sometimes!

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Bethlehem, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Bethlehem, PA (US)

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Low pay for entree level positions

Advice to Management

Raise the entry level job salaries

7. The administration made the job impossible.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellsworth, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellsworth, ME (US)

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with kids who really need guidance and compassion is extremely rewarding.

Cons

Compensation was terrible and there were no COL increases. Administration would schedule numerous, inconvenient and last minute meetings asking us how they could improve but would outright refuse to take any of the suggestions we gave or consider our needs seriously.

Advice to Management

A lot of your workers really care about the families they are trying to help. Listen to the employees on the floor and in the classrooms, they know better than someone hundreds of miles away in a board room.

8. Underpaid & Overworked

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

Management was completely out of touch with what was going on in the programs. Boss broke rules constantly and it was a completely CYA environment.

9. Caring staff

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Caring staff , therapeutic environment

Cons

Low pay , no advancement a need for ongoing trainings

cut out the politics

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, although those have been cut a bit. helping kids

Cons

management coming down with "fixes" for problems they don't take the time to understand

Advice to Management

work in each position to really understand your employees before asking for more paperwork to "fix the issue"

disappointed!!!!!

Former Employee - Mental Health Tech II in Orefield, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Mental Health Tech II in Orefield, PA (US)

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the staff I worked with were friendly and helpful for the most part.the job has the potential to rewarding.

Cons

poor pay,job benefits were not as advertised,there is no retirement,401k,no guaranteed raises.the staff were well meaning but very inexperienced in working with these type of clients.The physical environment was very poor,many areas need repairs.The area I was assigned do really did very little in the way of counseling or programmatic activities.we were basically care takers(and not high priced ones)our schedule was pretty much letting the youth watch tv,movies(some very inappropriate)) and playing video games.i was taken aback when I discovered that there was no policy for searching visitors,I witnessed family and other visitors bringing in knives,lighters...et al.terrible policy,or should I say lack there of.no structure or consistency in programs and activities.

Advice to Management

First ,pay your line staff better,offer better benefits,,,attract experienced staff.become more therapeutic and consistent in treatment approach.emphasize a more secure and safe environment for residents and staff.Stop "warehousing" residents for the sole purpose of reaping more revenue.I.mprove the physical appearance of the facilities by making necessary repairs