Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated 19 August 2014

4.6

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Reaping what you sow

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having worked at a half a dozen companies over the many years, Kimley-Horn is honest about the similar level of effort required elsewhere and rewards you for what you do. From "surprise" gifts to the performance based recognition (financial and other) throughout the year, the overall benefits are definitely better. The ability to take on more responsibilities and promotions for performers are readily available, plus they will provide added training for to help you grow...

Cons

Having the right fit in any organization is important, and Kimley-Horn is not for everyone. For those who work hard and have a passion for what they do, this is the right place....but again, not for everyone.

Limited Growth Potential

Former Employee - Design Analyst  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Design Analyst in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates part-time for more than a year

Pros

I appreciated being able to work on a wide range of projects. There are also several opportunities to get to know senior staff.

Cons

There was limited opportunity for professional growth. The senior staff were protective of their jobs and ideas at the cost of not listening to younger staff. The work environment also felt oppressive to people who valued family. Some employees engaged in taking bets on how long female staff would last after having children. The high minimum expectations for hours in the office left many people burned out or simply absent from home.

I recommend hiring management with a focus on continued learning. There is always the need to adapt to new work and economic challenges. Having managers who are open to their own growth and education will allow them to value the insight of others and ultimately make the company more profitable.

Kimley-Horn is a great company - fun culture - great perks - awesome bonus program!

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's something uniquely different about Kimley-Horn in the way you are treated, accepted, and given the opportunity to expand your career in a short amount of time. It's a family atmosphere - everyone looks out for each other and helps to groom your success.

Cons

Not many opportunities for strictly technical engineering professionals. You will be more successful if you enjoy working with clients, interacting with a team, and wanting to win project work over time. If you like to work "in a cave" at a computer all day without interacting with others, this is probably not the right firm for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Fantastic Place to Work!

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

Cons

Expectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

learned a tremendous amount from my colleagues.

Former Employee - Landscape Analyst
    Former Employee - Landscape Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great entry-level experience. My colleagues and managers wanted me to grow and gave me the skills to do so. Great salary, benefits and bonuses.

Cons

work/ life balance was always a struggle. Meeting billable hours when there were not always enough hours to go around, was stressful.

Diversify client types, i.e. more public sector work

The place I want to retire!

Pros

The opportunities for career growth, recognition, rewards, benefits are truly at the top of the industry...the culture of helping others and sharing work contributes to the success of the firm

Cons

This firm is not meant for everyone - to be successful here, you must be committed to extra effort, selfless partnership, and exceeding aggressive goals.

Great environment for success!

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orange, CA (US)

Pros

The best engineering firm to work for. Great people.
    Smart management with practical approach to running the business.
    No bureaucracies. Flat organization focused on roles and responsibilities vs. titles
    Great rewards. Team/family environment.

Cons

None that I can think of. The company emphasizes business fundamentals and exceptional client service which sometimes may appear to conflict with work /life balance.

Fantastic place to work!!

Pros

The people at Kimley-Horn are top notch. In my over 11 year tenure at Kimley-Horn, I haven't met a person I didn't like. If you don't like the people you work with, you'll be miserable and that has not been my experience at all. There are also plenty of perks and benefits that go a long way to making it an even better place to work. They aren't afraid to share the success of the firm with everyone.

Cons

It takes hard work and dedication to be successful serving clients. It can be very demanding and requires a delicate balance of work and life.

The Perfect Career

Pros

Leadership is promoted through everyone as each individual is building their own client base, promoting the career growth of younger partners, and professionally practicing engineering/planning/landscape architecture/or their respective profession. The firm supports practitioners to build clients/projects while satisfying the core values of the firm.

Cons

The sky's the limit on entrepreneurialism - the fun of the career here can be addicting - you need to keep this in check for balanced personal/work proportioning.

Maintain the model of transition and recognition - it's extremely rewarding, promoting, and secure - all the elements needed for a healthy career.

You will be as successful as you are willing to be.

Pros

The true value of the company is found in all the benefits outside of salary, such as bonuses, insurance, profit sharing, and a sharing office culture. The more you contribute, the more you receive. Most are given the freedom and encouragement to explore new and better ways to further their career and the success and profits of the firm.

Cons

The culture and environment make work-life balance a challenge. The flat organization is not good for someone who places great importance on titles. The consensus building process to make decisions can be slow and frustrating.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!