Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated 14 September 2014
4.6

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good advancement opportunities but work/life balance is way off

Current Employee - Engineering Analyst
    Current Employee - Engineering Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flat structure and a clear career path to eventual licensure and ownership. Great people left and right, management has their heads in the right place in training/mentorship programs, from top to bottom. Single profit center protects against loss of incentive due to local downturn or regional factors. Strong values and emphasis on training new hires. Always competing for top work and get experience on many different types of projects.

Cons

Work/life balance is a struggle. There's an unhealthy culture where new hires come in and mistakenly believe it is normal and expected to stay late every night, which continues the vicious cycle. The "5:30 walk of shame" is real and leaving on time can be very awkward. Many type-A's thrive in this and literally live for their work, but many, many more have burned out or quit once they had kids.

401k matching and year-end profit sharing, nearly 20% of total compensation, is withheld from new hires until a year of employment. Not to mention, no overtime for full-time employees beyond what is required by law.

Young professionals are required to put in ~10 hours/month on top of everything else to complete training programs that you cannot count towards your goal "utilization" performance metric. Completion of the programs are required for advancement.

Don't be so stingy in rewarding young professionals who take on extra responsibilities. Some type of overtime compensation and 401k matching are pretty standard in the industry, delaying these will continue to drive away the talent you're investing time in to. The Glassdoor PR campaign, it's transparent and misleading, look at "Rating Trends" if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Reaping what you sow

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having worked at a half a dozen companies over the many years, Kimley-Horn is honest about the similar level of effort required elsewhere and rewards you for what you do. From "surprise" gifts to the performance based recognition (financial and other) throughout the year, the overall benefits are definitely better. The ability to take on more responsibilities and promotions for performers are readily available, plus they will provide added training for to help you grow...

Cons

Having the right fit in any organization is important, and Kimley-Horn is not for everyone. For those who work hard and have a passion for what they do, this is the right place....but again, not for everyone.

Kimley-Horn is a great company - fun culture - great perks - awesome bonus program!

Pros

There's something uniquely different about Kimley-Horn in the way you are treated, accepted, and given the opportunity to expand your career in a short amount of time. It's a family atmosphere - everyone looks out for each other and helps to groom your success.

Cons

Not many opportunities for strictly technical engineering professionals. You will be more successful if you enjoy working with clients, interacting with a team, and wanting to win project work over time. If you like to work "in a cave" at a computer all day without interacting with others, this is probably not the right firm for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Limited Growth Potential

Former Employee - Design Analyst  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Design Analyst in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates part-time for more than a year

Pros

I appreciated being able to work on a wide range of projects. There are also several opportunities to get to know senior staff.

Cons

There was limited opportunity for professional growth. The senior staff were protective of their jobs and ideas at the cost of not listening to younger staff. The work environment also felt oppressive to people who valued family. Some employees engaged in taking bets on how long female staff would last after having children. The high minimum expectations for hours in the office left many people burned out or simply absent from home.

I recommend hiring management with a focus on continued learning. There is always the need to adapt to new work and economic challenges. Having managers who are open to their own growth and education will allow them to value the insight of others and ultimately make the company more profitable.

A Fantastic Place to Work!

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

Cons

Expectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

learned a tremendous amount from my colleagues.

Former Employee - Landscape Analyst
    Former Employee - Landscape Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great entry-level experience. My colleagues and managers wanted me to grow and gave me the skills to do so. Great salary, benefits and bonuses.

Cons

work/ life balance was always a struggle. Meeting billable hours when there were not always enough hours to go around, was stressful.

Diversify client types, i.e. more public sector work

The place I want to retire!

Pros

The opportunities for career growth, recognition, rewards, benefits are truly at the top of the industry...the culture of helping others and sharing work contributes to the success of the firm

Cons

This firm is not meant for everyone - to be successful here, you must be committed to extra effort, selfless partnership, and exceeding aggressive goals.

Great environment for success!

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orange, CA (US)

Pros

The best engineering firm to work for. Great people.
    Smart management with practical approach to running the business.
    No bureaucracies. Flat organization focused on roles and responsibilities vs. titles
    Great rewards. Team/family environment.

Cons

None that I can think of. The company emphasizes business fundamentals and exceptional client service which sometimes may appear to conflict with work /life balance.

Fantastic place to work!!

Pros

The people at Kimley-Horn are top notch. In my over 11 year tenure at Kimley-Horn, I haven't met a person I didn't like. If you don't like the people you work with, you'll be miserable and that has not been my experience at all. There are also plenty of perks and benefits that go a long way to making it an even better place to work. They aren't afraid to share the success of the firm with everyone.

Cons

It takes hard work and dedication to be successful serving clients. It can be very demanding and requires a delicate balance of work and life.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun employees to work with while maintaining a professional atmosphere. This includes both work and after work hours. Compensation is fair and competitive. Reward is based on results more than opinion which is great.

Cons

Don't have any cons as the group of employees I work with a great group to work with all the time, even when I don't agree 100% they want to work it out to a professional compromise. Much better than other places where I have worked.

Management is always open to discussion and wanting to keep the environment relaxed and open. I never feel like it is a closed discussion. Their willingness to listen and act in the best interest of the firm is what makes this a great place to work.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!