King Soopers

Be The First To
Add Photos

King Soopers President Russ Dispense

Russ Dispense

Pros:
  • "good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union"
    in 8 reviews
  • "You can work part time and don't really have to think at work"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working"
    in 6 reviews
  • "raises based on hours worked not job performance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

King Soopers Deli Management Position

Deli Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is expanding in the market creating excellent job security. Union benefits are extraordinarily good. 401k available. Excellent plan for future deli growth of sales.

ConsTurnover of crew is higher then I expected. Not directly involved in hiring process. Union system precludes normal rewards for employees- better schedules and raises etc... Union scheduling combined with company needs and programs precludes flexible schedules for clerks. Hard (impossible with low seniority) to schedule around school or second jobs. Hasn't been an increase to base clerk hiring wage since March 2005. This has caused a slow deterioration in the quality of new clerks. No budgeted training hours forces new hires into trial by fire situation. All of this puts an additional strain on the management team.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Patience is a virtue, full-time not so easy at the store level.

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

ProsStore manager and department managers are good people and want good people.

ConsStart pay low and full time hours are very difficult to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is average or less although there is a lot of Computer based training (CBT). One session of CBT does not help when your on the grocery floor with a customer in front of you.
Computer based scheduling makes a department managers job very difficult when they are trying to do what's best for both the department and the crew.

King's is your typical corporate business...profits on the shoulders of the employees.

Bakery Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsMost of the employees are good people trying to do the best they can.

ConsUnrealistic expectations for minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick one focus and stick to it. Trying to be all things to all people typically results in poor customer service.

Don't expect to be a valued priority to the company unless you are on the salary payroll.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRoom to grow at store level with various departments.

ConsStarting pay is horrible for all positions,
Courtesy Clerks are not eligible for and do not receive health benefits PERIOD
All other positions do get benefits AFTER 1 year of employment
Christmas and Thanksgiving are ONLY holidays you get holiday pay, everyone else on old contracts get holiday pay for EVERY SINGLE holiday.
No bonuses, No holiday bonus or incentives except a $1 store manager coupon if you're lucky
No time off requests unless you're in high school, otherwise you're expected to be on call at all times (not literally but they expect you to committ all your available time to bending over backwards for them)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not treat anyone with respect unless you happen to be one of their favorite's. The company as a whole does not value it's associates with respect or dignity. Associates are not a priority of the company and the company did a great job proving it when holiday incentives were taken away from hourly employees just so store management and corporate could keep their twice a year bonuses.

Used to be a great company

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros10% discount on private selection/corporate brands.

Conshave worked for the company 25 years. They have no loyalty to long term employees. In fact, I believe that they will find ways to get rid of long term employees to make way for "newer" "fresher" people.

Cashier - Great company, nice stores, customers suck, be wary of unions

Cashier (Former Employee)
Evergreen, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

ProsWilling to schedule around school, decent pay, easy to change depts. and/or advance, solid company structure, competent management, great training, nice environment

ConsHigh turnover, not much or too much culture, ometimes corporate policy can be annoying, some depts. are union, which may be a pro for some. And you can't blame the company, but they do attract some snobby customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransferring employees to different stores when they advance to management is not always the best solution.

solid time

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

Prosoffice culture was on point, people were nice and friendly and i was able to learn a lot in the short time i was there

Consthe hours are tough, after a while it gets very boring and you feel like you do the same thing everyday

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great place to work

Service Desk Clerk (Former Employee)
Fort Collins, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, work environment and growth opportunities. Scheduling manager was very accommodating with class schedules.

ConsYou might have to start at the bottom end of positions and scheduling if you do not have experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Good place to start. Bad place to stay. Clerk to cake decorater

Cake Decorator (Current Employee)
Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Decent health Insurance
-Weekly pay check
- Always looking for people

Cons-Terrible management
-Over-worked, under paid
-lazy secretaries

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees equal happy customers. When one of them comes to you for a problem or needs help, listen to them. Don't lie and abuse them. The management is lazy, and constantly lies tot he employees. If something goes wrong due to their lack of communication, it's the employees fault, never theirs. If the employee is overwhelmed, they don't care.

Just from my own experience, they won't train but continuously say they will. They will under pay you but still expect you to run a department alone.

This company is just terrible, but if you really need a job. They always hire.

A job yes. A way of life no.

Bakery Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsI work with some interesting and often fun people. Getting to be on first name basis with the customers is cool and I find them to be uplifting at times.

ConsSchedules for newbie part timers are very, well, unpredictable. Finding out on a Friday your schedule for the following week is a bit trying. Pay is low but insurance and 401K are available. The Muzak gets to me at night when things get quiet.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe published vision of the company seems appealing but you need to stick to it and stop with the favorites and treat the ones you lead with the same dignity and urgency that you demand on a whim.

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at King Soopers reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for King Soopers CEO Russ Dispense. All 96 reviews are posted anonymously by King Soopers employees.