Kirkwood Community College

Kirkwood Community College Reviews

Updated Feb 04, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kirkwood Community College offers opportunities for employees to soar to success!

Department Assistant (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKirkwood will pay for 6 credits of schooling per semester if taking courses here! If taking courses at Mt. Mercy University...50% tuition is paid by my employer!!

ConsSince I have been at Kirkwood, I have not found one con to speak of!!

Neutral feelings

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College part-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiverse customers, got to learn about other aspects of the college,
fairly laid back, nice co-workers. First 2 years of employment I enjoyed and looked forward to working each day. Then many changes occurred and my trust and loyalty toward management diminished.

ConsPay, benefits, absolutely no communication within the department, part time employees are not treated at as part of 'the team'. Feel uninformed about new developments. Never know when supervisor will be at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that part time employees are the cornerstone of the institution. And reward them better, with pay, bonuses or benefits. This college does not like to hire within the organization and does show favoritism towards the younger work group.

Terminated with NO cause!!!

Record Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Kirkwood Community College full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPride in mission and students.

ConsPay is very low for support staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is very obvious that admin looks out for admin. They all stick together, so there is no upper management to go to if there is problems with a current supervisor.

The first few years were good, then the polotics really started to take hold.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kirkwood Community College full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou do good for people who need a boost in life

ConsHierarchy often gets in the way of people doing what's right. Too many politics to play between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what made it such a great place to work for

adjuncts do most of the work and get little compensation, no benefits.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College as a contractor for more than a year

Prosinteresting students; outreach to more remote/rural communities is commendable

Consadjunct faculty do most of the teaching work and yet get none of the security or benefits. kirkwood places a cap on the number of sections an adjunct can teach in a schoolyear, which most likely means you'll need a second job to earn a decent living.

great overall place to work

Banquet Supervisor (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work, good people

Conslong hours/weekends no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to listen to there employees for advice instead of just assuming they know whats going on.

I obtained both professional and personal skills that benefit me in the real-world.

News Editor and Writer (Former Employee)

I worked at Kirkwood Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsAs a student working on campus, it was very convenient for me. The senior employees understood the busy lives of students and were flexible with schedules. The working atmosphere was always comfortable and encouraging.

ConsGiven the majority of employees were students, not all of them took their job as seriously as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic goals for individual employees. Maintain constant communication. Continuously provide feedback. Ensure that necessary training is provided.

Not bad, typical adjunct

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsAutonomy, ability to develop own course

ConsIt can be easy to feel disconnected

Great School, great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kirkwood Community College

ProsKirkwood provides an opportunity to work with all different types of people and in a variety of different fields. Whether it be as an instructor or in administration, there is something for everyone.

ConsThere are times when you don't get feedback and you don't know how you are doing. Also, depending on what you are doing, pay can be great, or it may not be.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more feedback to employees. It would also be nice to be made more aware of positions that open up that you may be qualified for that provide you with a career advancement opportunity.

Worked for Kirkwood Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kirkwood Community College reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Kirkwood Community College employees.