Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions President, CEO, and Director Eric M. DeMarco

Eric M. DeMarco

Just another government contracting firm without a soul.

Computer Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNothing good to say about the company.

ConsKratos is a mix of so many companies through acquisition. After a few years under Kratos management, the underlying culture is washed away.

Good place to work

Project Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary
Reasonable hours, flexible scheduling

ConsSome of the office locations very outdated
Senior Management disconnected with other employees
Limited interaction with co-workers

Overall positive learning experience, but unfortunately, things have gotten worse with the economy

San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat professional development experiences. Lots of growth opportunities where I was at. Had good mentors and coaches during the growth years.

ConsLots of layoffs recently. Leadership of business unit has gone downhill because of key leaders no longer with company. Too many acquisitions coupled with the competitive, low-bid wins contract environment, has made company growth stagnant.

Great place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid management, good pay, great mix of people and personalities, expanding company, flexible hours.

ConsHard to move up because of the size of company, not enough Business Development to win new contracts

Bad Times with new Management

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSolid local employees who really do care.

ConsUpper Management has no principle or business ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back where you came from and leave this company alone.

Government subcontracting is a strange world

Web Developer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat pay
Don't care what you're doing as long as you do your job
Grunt-level jobs could be, and in some cases of inventive coworkers, were, done by a thirty-line script

ConsMassively overhired and overpaid people for too little work-- squandered resources led to destruction of entire department a few months later
Advertised as contract-to-hire, no warning when contract ended that this was no longer the case

Toxic environment

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany got me up and running with all the supplies, software, computer and permissions I needed within a week of starting, nice break room, could make your own hours as long as you completed your work & did the minimum 40 hrs per week

ConsVery poor communication, if you weren't in management you knew there were secret meetings going on that you were not invited to, unrealistic deadlines, management turned a blind eye to any process improvements, lots of layoffs and not many potential contracts in the pipeline, good employees left, bad managers stayed on? No training or opportunity to change positions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees, communicate, say No to unrealistic deadlines - giving a crappy product on-schedule means nothing, improve image to win new contracts

Five Years of Opportunity and Exposure to Tier 1 Developers

Data Warehouse Engineer (Former Employee)
Springfield, VA (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOver the five years between 2006 - 2011, as an Engineer, I worked on 3 contracts and gain a lot of experience. My business manager was aggressive, fair and provided opportunity to shine and supported training funds for personal development. While at KRATOS, upper management did a great job with benefits (pay raises were fair in the beginning and then went flat in 2010 & 2011).

ConsKRATOS has gone through many growing pains and depending on your current manager and contract. Like many DOD contractors, you are only viable if you are billable. With all the acquisitions, the company has had a lot of turnover, but that happens in a growing company in DOD.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing, but do not lose sight of the value of your employees on-site with the client.

Never felt like an employee of the company but they did pay well and have nice benefits.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits including health care, dental and even free vision. 401K matching at 4.5% after being full vested was a bonus. Friendly employees and co-workers. Paid well, at least for my job as a government contractor. Free set of four Padres tickets every year for one game for all employees.

ConsLack of communication from the management. Provided no training that would have made me qualified for other positions within the company. No new work for current employees and many lay-offfs. The best employees tended to leave for other companies, leaving new people in positions such as HR and finance. Company stock at a all time low.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more work in San Diego. Expand on current work instead of buying more small companies. Keep your employees more informed about the company. Don't tell employees how well the company is doing when the stock price says otherwise.

Used and dumped

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time

ProsSteady stream of work, company is doing well financially, expanding

ConsTo begin with, the chain of command is very messed up. I had no immediate supervisor to report to, and the person that was listed as my 'boss' knew nothing about my department or line of work and only checked in on me once every couple of weeks. However, I realize that some companies work well with this type of structure. That is not my main complaint.

I was hired on a temporary basis, but about a month into my employment my higher ups started giving me very encouraging words that they had won a contract and were about to bring in a BUNCH of more workers, so I'd be a shoe-in for being brought on permanently. These words of encouragement continued throughout the duration of my employment, and they fully gave the impression that I was pretty much good as permanent.

Three months in we had a massive multi-week effort to move from our crappy warehouse building to a big fancy new custom-built building across town. They sent out a seating chart for the new building and my name was curiously missing. I assumed this was because I was currently a Temp and had them pencil me into an empty cubicle. Like everybody else in the company I did my part to pack up stuff, move stuff, unload stuff at the new building, and hook stuff up. Everybody was very excited and we couldn't wait to start our new life in a fancy new location.

On the first day we were in our new building, after I had unpacked, hooked up all of the equipment in my cubicle and started to settle in, I was informed that I was being laid off immediately.

No words to describe the sense of betrayal.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not tools, they are assets.

Worked for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions CEO Eric M. DeMarco. All 30 reviews are posted anonymously by Kratos Defense & Security Solutions employees.