Kroger

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.0 1,390 reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers(in 65 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week(in 42 reviews)

• Barely hire any full time employees and use part timers as much as possible(in 73 reviews)

1,390 Employee Reviews

Kroger is a great place to work!

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers and the employees are very nice, and the supervisors help with schedule flexibility and promotional opportunities. Managers are also very supportive and caring while also modeling professionalism. They care about work life balance and training ops. This is such a great help, and they offer great pay for this field and benefits. Hopefully they will keep the union as it seems to help ensure that the employees have fair treatment. Over all, this is just a great place! They also have great marketing ideas at the corporate level and offer customers special custom coupons thru the mail! They are trustworthy and established with their approach to training and customer service.

ConsSome of the challenges of working here are that some customers are in a big hurry and act demanding , but they are usually very nice. Sometimes there can be a lot of drama when the line slows down because the employees need more to work on. Usually this does not happen because it stays busy and is fast paced, which is quite fun when you feel that you are helping people out on holidays, etc. The biggest and maybe only disadvantage of Kroger is that you have to work so often on Sundays and holidays that it seems to be difficult to maintain work life balance at times. Managers try to be understanding with request offs . Managers are very supportive in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do such an outstanding job! Consider selling more affordable organic and antibiotic and growth hormone free products, but this is advice to marketing dept. Consider why Kroger opened on Sundays in the first place despite union protests so long ago not to. Consider closing on Easter , 4th of July, and Thanksgiving like some other retailers so that you can compete with smaller grocers in scheduling and work life balance. Do this for an experimental year, and see if you really want to go back to the old way of working every Sunday and holiday. Yes we have made progress in that people want to buy groceries on Sundays and holidays, but it is sometimes at the expense of our employees' work life balance. Some of us are married and plan to stay that way while living in a nation whose divorce rate (along with other developed nations) is one of the highest in the world at 50 %. Kroger, please put families first and allow your employees off on Sundays if they are Christians. They allow this in the U.K. and have laws to uphold it, and rightfully so. There are no laws in the U.S. to support us as Christians for Sundays off. Why are we as a nation just at times falling for everything and why can we not stand up for something important like family first. This may be old fashioned, but one has to wonder how we got into this kind of shape as a nation of too much work on Sundays. At the very least, try to ensure to employees that they can rotate Sundays off between employees. Otherwise , keep up the great work!

Kroger is a decent place to work

Floor Supervisor & Customer Service (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, good corporate structure, and great management

ConsPay, advancement, and certain policies

You get out, what you put in.

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsKroger is a great place, yes, it has it's problems just like every other company. If you're 15 and over, looking for a first job, Kroger is the way to go. You get paid every week, in fact every Thursday. You'll get along with your coworkers for sure, Department Heads are just as friendly, comanagers are 8/10 nice, and understanding. Hours, and shifts can be adjusted to your availability.

ConsOne thing no one likes is the pay rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay not apply to everyone, but sometimes, the younger, the better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work

Fuel Clerk (Current Employee) Richmond, IN (US)

ProsCompetitive wages, opportunities for advancement, friendly and upbeat work environment, flexibility in work hours, good health care available, good sense of job security

ConsKroger is a rumor mill, due to being unionized people get away with a lot that they shouldn't, at my store management definitely plays favorities

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill better training, don't play favorites among employees to reduce divisiveness through the store

Good place to start your career, if you start in high school

Floral (Current Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

Pros-appears to care about their employees. Event passes for free, Fair, Zoo, discount tickets, etc.
    -works around school, and other jobs.
    -Easy to grow within company
    -OPAG week, a week where they feed you and treat you awesome.
    -Union( if you are into that)
    -Good people and management
    -benefits are good, paid vacays, for part timers.

Cons-Very low pay scale, small raises (however they do occur when they are supposed to)
    -near impossible to obtain full time status.
    -Very high expectations for the amount paid.
    -Often out of reach goals, bestowed by coordinators and district managers, and above.
    -if part time, inconsistency in hours on occasion.
    -I can't stress enough how under payed employees are, and how over worked Co managers are.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to continue to grow as a company and push friendly service and create happy customers. Happy employees is a great place to start, You can not expect people who are payed minimum wage to enjoy their job enough to greet every customer and go above and beyond for each customer when they are so under payed. You pay for quality. That's why you guys spend large amounts on Ties, Suits, Jeans, etc... If it's quality and you want it to last, you need to spend more on it. Same goes for your people.

Overall good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe manager was very fair.

ConsDistrict management was not very helpful.

Good place to work, not viable for long term

Floor Supervisor & Customer Service (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsWeekly pay, friendly coworkers and most often management, flexible schedules.

ConsManagers at my store seemed to go through a revolving door, after a few months a new manager would come in and the former would be transferred to another store, this happened various times. Standing for long periods of time and having to deal with usual customer complaints.

not that bad

ProsThe benefits are good if you stay long term. They are willing to work around things you have to do. You meet nice people.

ConsThey don't pay well. If you are looking for a full time job then Kroger is not the place for you.

Growing Business; Low Wages

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsRegular employees such as cashiers receive medical benefits.
     The company has multiple locations and affiliates around the country.
    The company hires and promotes from within, however difficult to go from store to corporate headquarters.

ConsDifficult to go from store to corporate headquarters: no true advancement.

Low manager salaries.

Non progressive -some positions should be able to work from home rather than distant headquarters outside Houston area.

Advice to Senior ManagementManager salaries should increase; hours should definitely decrease.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Decent job if you the mangers like you

ProsCoworkers are generally friendly, and you are usually able to get the time off you requested. Kroger has a good benefit package, and being part of the union is a plus.

ConsIts hard to grow within the company

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!