La Madeleine Reviews

41 reviews filtered by
2.0
Jean-Roch Vachon

1. A place to work for alot of tough labor

Former Employee - LIne in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - LIne in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few coworkers were nice, get to see new people, making salads, 50% on the food (if you don't mind the pounds it'll add)

Cons

Managers were sarcastic when it came to you asking for help, demanding tasks with little time to do them, no breaks or time to eat (you have to beg to get one and get yelled at because your annoying) and irresponsible planning all together.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable to new employee's; it's never ok to be rude. Also if you have equipment that breaks, fix it to prevent accidents and injuries

2. Fun place to work, with lots to learn!

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount on meals, end of night shifts managers would allow you to take home the pastry and bakery products, free sodas while you work, room to grow, and different places to work in the company.

Cons

Very slow after New Years, they drop your hours without any notice, they let you go home early after 30min to 1 hour later.

Advice to Management

Keep open communication, don't hide from the employees, find ways to help increase productivity, and don't lie to the hard workers and don't be racist towards the non-Hispanic community.

3. worst job ever.

Former Employee - Line Associate
    Former Employee - Line Associate

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros

making salads, serving customers, and serving the pastries

Cons

everything else, especially closing, what a nightmare!

Advice to Management

give employees a chance to learn and gain skills, and not just fire them. but in fact its a good thing that they fired me because i was probably going to quit anyways.

5. I can't believe I took this as my first job.

Former Employee - Associate in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% off discount, one of the managers was alright, I suppose.

Cons

Sporadic working hours & horrible conditions. Late nights and low pay.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees with respect and especially if they are college students.

6. Experience was meh.

Former Employee - Busser/Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Busser/Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Most of the people I worked with were nice
    -It closed early at night
    -i'm not seeing a lot of pros, uh-oh

Cons

-I was hired to be a 'busser'. Turns out I was really a glorified janitor.
    -If you finished your tasks early, they found more mundane/useless tasks rather than letting you go home. There was no incentive to work fast.
    -The managers were very bad at making decisions. Just about any decent college student could and would have done better than these imbeciles. They seem to hire/promote to managers based on time working at the restaurant rather than based on the actual fit for the position. I and legitimately half the normal people working there could have done better. Much better.

Advice to Management

Heads up to upper management, the store managers totally stole a lot of food.

Do not enjoy working or serving here.

Current Employee - Cashier in Pearland, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pearland, TX (US)

I have been working at La Madeleine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my co workers very much a very nice and chill group. Some people are more dependable to help you while working and some will trail off to leave you to do everything. I also enjoy the 50% discount for the food because that is the price i would rate the food.

Cons

The new set up is not really working well for the customers. I work in Pearland and everyone complains to me about how they do not like the new set up. when they order it takes while for their food to come out not because we are working slow but because we do not have enough staff in the kitchen. also when people oder a long order there waiting time is way longer because we do not bring the food out when it is ready but when ALL the food is ready to be sent out which can result to food being cold. (p.s. we do not have heating lamps idk why). The new system also is a cafe style where the customers get their own drinks, and utensils. I am a cashier but i do other jobs in the restaurant as well. Many times when i drop off peoples food they did not get their silverware and ask me where is the silverware. i tell them nicely that it is over there but i tell them i will get it for them so i am not rude and just make them get it but i do not enjoy being expected to get something that i am not entitled to get. Now the food is majority of the time fresh because we sell the food quickly. we do run out of food quite often which frustrates customers and that is managements fault for not having ingredients at a popular restaurant. The food in my opinion is not amazing and thats just because of the people who made the menu. I also think the food is overpriced for its taste that is why i enjoy paying half price for it. Overall I do not like working here because I work my butt off to give great customer service because that is how i am but our restaurant in pearland has been constantly getting bad reviews and i think it is management and the system in general. I also work very hard in my job and actually mastered other jobs to keep the restaurant running smoothly like, togo, expo, cashier, and runner. As a cashier in this restaurant you are basically expected to know how to do all of the jobs but you get the same pay. I personally think i put up with to much from the managers and customers even though i know i am doing my job and putting all my effort as well. I will not enjoy working here because i can not brag about the restaurant in general to the customers, poor food, over priced, and bad system set up. if you can not brag about the restaurant you work at then you will get bad reviews which employees do not want at all because they get punished for it. I would love to work at a olive garden or fancy restaurant because i actually enjoy the food and customer service. so in reality if i worked there i would be more motivated into working harder to uphold the expectation i would expect and give it to my customers.

Advice to Management

I would say really investigate employees before you hire because there are some employees that should not be working there they only drag down the other employees and the restaurant. order food and supplies ahead of time, all the time !!!!!! running out of food and supplies is an easy fix but a huge inconvenience to the customers. Correct behavior of employees who really need to be corrected not the whole staff because we are not children and that method does not fix anything only hinders the whole staff. Have employee meetings and talk about what we need to work on specifically as a group and listen to requests and advice from staff as well. post paper signs about what needs to be fixed is not efficient.

8. It's not a bad place for young people.

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discount on meals
    Depending on your coworkers and managers it can be fun.
    Lots of different areas you can work in.
    Can work up to becoming a store manager.

Cons

Can be really boring during slow hours.
    Customers can be frustrating as with any food place
    Corportate and store managers will require certain monotonous tasks every night for closing.

9. Working for this company was just about the worst experience of my entire life.

Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros

There was no pros to me.

Cons

It's was physically impossible to do tasks correctly in the amount of time given and you were threatened to be fired for being to slow doing them correctly.

Advice to Management

There needs to be at least three pastry chefs working at once to get the job done in the amount of time given correctly.

10. Great brand

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and team environment

Cons

Top down communication not always strong

11. Don't do it

Former Employee - Buss Boy in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Buss Boy in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

No breaks
    Managers yell and cuss at you if you mess up.
    Late nights everyday
    Asked to work part time they gave a 45hr work week.
    Customers were super annoying to be around

Advice to Management

Give you employees breaks and stop yelling and cussing.