LanguageLine Solutions

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein

Scott W. Klein

Pros:
  • "I learn something new everyday; very rewarding helping others; work from home; little supervision"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Knowledge gained through working with different fields, good pay, flexible hours"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means"
    in 21 reviews
  • "No benefits, no paid vacations, no sick days , no reimbursement exempt"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

In general good company

Vietnamese Interpreter (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible hour working very good if you have kids to take care :)
minimum stress and learn a lot about different fields

Consno promotion, career growth and it is a self-employed if you work at home as an interpreter so no holiday, pension, etc

Reviewers are too critical and unreasonable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsAs my subject title indicates. But training pre-hiring is good.

ConsReviewers are way too difficult. It seems like they had to pick on something or else they are not doing their job.

My experience was good; though, the HR department was unorganized.

Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee)
Monterey, CA (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsVery team-oriented environment. Everyone was nice, for the most part. Extremely lax work environment.

ConsComputer applications were old. Rely to heavily on contract workers. Salaries low.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove HR department.

Very low pay, no flexible scheduling, poor benefits

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsYou get to work from home

ConsVery low pay, no flexible scheduling, poor benefits

no appreciation

Interpreter (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros- Working from home which cuts down commuting time and expense
- Work/Life balance is good since schedule is set
- Little or no supervision
- Reimbursement on phone line

Cons- No vacation, no holidays (preference is submitted and you don't know if you are off on selected holiday until the schedule is issued), no sick days, only unpaid time off
- With the unpaid time off, you can't really get the days you need off because only certain hours can be taken off from interpreters and you don't know if allowed time off hours are included into you shift. If those hours are not in your working shift, you can't use your unpaid time off, which will result you to submit a ticket to get a day off with unexcused absence.
- Temporary schedule change is possible, but it is almost impossible to change it due to "business needs"
- Call after call, after call, after call.
- Insurance benefit is given but very expensive, very limited coverage (useless)
- Low pay, you can't live with the wage they pay. There is no room to increase your wage, no bonus.
- No room to grow your career. HR has mentioned that there are reimbursement for interpretation certifications , but only to find out that such program has discontinued a long time ago
- At your anniversary, you are given a hand signed letter from CEO. (If it was meant to be encouragement, the corporate has it completely wrong. It only made me feel as if the corporate is making fun of me - "OO! we don't even pay you all that much but we will give you a letter that our CEO kindly hand signed!! how exciting!!!")
- No office supply given. Interpreters are required to take notes and write down all the phone calls received. It may not be a big amount, but interpreters are responsible for that cost.
- Limited english speakers not only lack the linguistic ability, also they lack a lot of basic knowledge. Later on, language barrier isn't the only problem, rather the fundamental issue is that limited english speakers don't even understand when you interpret for them.
- Angry limited english speakers will try to tell you (interpreter) about all their problems and try to say bad things about the client (English speaker) as if they want you to be on their side to defend them. At the end of the day, you don't feel like you are an interpreter.
- No human contact. You are alone for the whole time you are working. You don't even know who are your fellow interpreters. A lot of times you need your colleagues to talk it all out and encourage each other, but you don't get a chance to meet or talk to others.
- Lack of consistency in programs - some newsletter was supposedly sent every month, but that disappeared. E-mail accounts are given but is not used all that much. Inefficient training is given here and there.
- Intranet will crash all the time when intranet is pretty much only source of communication with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company would be nothing without interpreters. However, appreciation to interpreters are so little to non-existent. Please look after your interpreters, appreciate them, and at least try to care for their needs so that interpreters can be motivated to work for LanguageLine Solutions. Interpreters are absolutely crucial to this company.

This company provides a necessary service in a very professional manner

Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Prosoffers work from home option

Consvery hard to get a change of schedule

Advice to Senior Managementprovide incentives for long time employees as well as raises

Prompt response time.

Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent training. Good response time.

ConsGetting stuck on calls. Assisting with the community.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with time schedule for part time employees.

Worst Employer I've Had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

ProsPeople will pretend to be nice to get knowledge out of you

ConsThen dispose of you like leftovers
Pay you very little
Only promotes the buddies and brown-nosers
Poor leadership
Poor management
Overpriced service but the people who do the work don't get their share

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it's possible to replace management, then it may get better. Try and care about the people you employ and not just people friendly with you. Not everyone is a talented brown-noser. Judge based on talent and skills and contributions and don't take someone's credit and give it to your own friends and pretend they did the work or came up with the ideas.

Good for interpreters to learn good experience. Professional interpreters should not expect it will be a career.

Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking for Language Line Solutions is a way for professional interpreters to acquire experience.

ConsA professional interpreter will get NO rewards that could be normally expected from such type of job. Namely, no adequate compensation for the time and effort invested, no chance to get a vacation or paid sick day through any kind of normal procedure (the managers just ignore your needs and treat you like you are something insignificant), no career growth, no respect to interpreters' work. Interpreters are used as low-pay labor, even though these people are expected to be highly educated and possess versatile skills and knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise the management to keep away from the interpreter's business altogether. That would be fair because they are discrediting this profession by providing poor quality service, which is the inevitable result of their mistreating the interpreters. They want to get too much giving away so little, yet sooner or later they will pay the price anyway. This management does not seem to understand it.

Breaching Confidentiality law in US by Exposing Interpreters to private Patient's phone numbers. Slave Driving and Cold!

Interpreter (Current Employee)
Monterey Park, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking from home and drive family members crazy with your calls.

ConsThe list is endless. Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to at least pay people a bit more so they do not leave like a revolving door. Care about the living block of your existence meaning the interpreters. Many of us are respectful and highly educated people. The system does not work and find out what is going on?

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LanguageLine Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for LanguageLine Solutions CEO Scott W. Klein. All 87 reviews are posted anonymously by LanguageLine Solutions employees.