Legal & General Group

www.legalandgeneralgroup.com

Legal & General Group Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Tim Breedon

Enjoyable experience, company cares about its employees.

Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) Hove, England

ProsGood culture. They have good opportunities within the company to move internally.
    They provide lots of benefits and programs and workshops to help employees.

ConsIn the hove office they use a work tracking system which is a good way to assess performance for repetitive boring work. But for work where you actually use thinking skills learned at university it is awful. So do not work in customer service function here you will spend long periods not thinking. Also incompetent people are employed for contracting and good employees aren't sufficiently rewarded. Some line managers set strict time limits for tasks where you aren't given time to check your work. So you are like a hamster in a wheel and get marked down if you check work. So you get marked down for human error. Also you have to stay quiet and not confront poor practices due to risk of line manager not liking you and firing you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive responsibility to competent people. Assess appropriateness of workloads.

Good company to work for

Team Manager (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent package, Very good pension scheme, Very good career opportunities

ConsSenior management out of touch of the real processing times and the work loads

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with their staff

It's a place you and go work if you are ready to retire.

Financial Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat work life balance, generally friendly people in the company, receive performance shares when the company does well, great london location.

ConsLow wages, limited career progression, favourites are promoted, too many people in the company and everyone does their little bit of the process so it becomes boring very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is never any budget for training, those who are considered the favourites in the team are promoted which demotivates people to do well. It's considered a place where you go once you have given-up on your ambitions and want to relax and not work so hard.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Funds Manager

Fund Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCompetitive compensation; good benefits including share ownership scheme, annual bonus and employee discounts, excellent training that allows to progress in your understanding of the job and develop hard and soft skills to enhance your career. Excellent team culture!

ConsThe salary growth is pretty slow as you progress from the bottom ranks. The opportunities to network and meet people from the industry are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the vision and the direction of the company in a much more effective way.

Great company to work for, they are so diverse and very supportive

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Hove, England

ProsThey are good employers, very diverse and have very good flexible working conditions

ConsThe systems are dated, which need to be updated also it would be good to have one system across all departments.

Decent work place overall

Finance Analyst (Current Employee) Hove, England

ProsVery flexible, great work life balance. Nice bunch of people. Good office location. Decent compensations & benefits especially pension and free shares. Most senior managers are nice and resonable, and trying to do their best. Very suppotive in terms of study and career progress. Look after staff quite well.

ConsYou have to be really stand out in order to get recognised. Hard working people don't get recognised well enough. Some senior manager can be over the top with level of details and want everything to be exactly how they wanted things done!

No progression and a rapidly hostile working environment with a feeling of no appreciation of staff

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Hove, England

ProsI worked in the Hove office and in my opinion if you were to start as a new starter now I really can't think of any. I started 3 1/2 years ago and, although there were massive gaps in the introduction to the company, I enjoyed my time there to begin with and my peers were welcoming and helpful.
    For those who wish to there is the opportunity to take courses to progress your career whether that be outside L&G or not.

ConsThere is very little chance to progress.
    Training lasted a long time but I still felt unprepared when joining the floor and it turned out that there were massive gaps.
    Challenging processes is a very hard and feels like a losing battle from the start.
    For the last year or so there has been a real atmosphere of having to fight for recognition and even for your job. So many people started to be put on different performance reviews and perfomance measures which didn't allow for people getting used to the changes in role, department, management, sampling and staff levels. This lead to people becoming over protective of their own job and real culture of backstabbing and blame.
    Recognition felt more of a guesture and was inconsistent.
    I don't say this as a rant or even from just personal experience but really as something useful to those I'm leaving behind as I know this is a shared feeling with many others on the floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff and when looking at the results of an engagement survey don't assume there are uncontrolable measures behind low scores. Ask people why and how to change it then take notice.

Put staff happiness at least somewhere towards the top of the list of priorities as it really didn't feel like it was.

Challenging - both positively and negatively

Team Manager (Current Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England

ProsFlexibility, benefits to employees, opportunity for development, opportunity to change roles within the group, companies social responsibilities, comfortable office environment and canteen facilities

ConsWell known lack of investment in IT equipment, systems and IT support, general lack of commercial nationwide advertising, business strategy direction, launch of new products without administrative procedures and team in place, lack of adequate resource in key areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff, acknowledge staff know the difference between management sincerity and management lip service

Going downhill rapidly

Manager (Former Employee) Hove, England

ProsNice open plan offices. Good location with some on site parking. Average salary for new starters compared to similar local companies.

ConsPoor leadership, constant change, continuous redundancies over last 5 years. No internal progression. No training for management. Poor rates of bonus / pay rise verse success of company. Unclear expectations of staff. New staff being recruited but lack of honesty about job role means unhappy recruits, who are receiving below standard training for such a big, well known company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are loosing staff and have a severe lack of morale at your Hove offices caused by unclear, unfriendly management. A real shame and a total change over the last 4 years and something that is being ignored. It might be worth coming down for yourselves and asking the staff on the floor what it's really like to work there.

Plodding along

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kingswood, South East England, England

ProsVery good pension and benefits, including life assurance, medical cover, sports facilities and restaurant. Good work-life balance. Work was not too demanding and there were plenty of nice people. Pretty much everyone in the company wanted to do the right thing by the customer.

ConsMy whole L&G experience, which lasted four years, was just too slow for me. The company was very unexciting, very risk averse, very process driven and generally quite a lumbering beast. Decision-making was slow and done by endless committees and working groups. Many people there were good at their job, but an equal or greater amount were very, very average and unwilling to step outside a very tight remit or think outside the box. A lot of people at L&G have been at the company a very long time. The person I replaced had never worked anywhere else, which I don't think is healthy.
    My mind just had too much spare capacity and in the end I could stand the mediocrity no longer and had to leave before I went stark raving mad. It's probably a good place for many people, to be fair, just not me. If you are a 9 to 5 person with low ambition, then this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSilos - get rid of them. Improve technology so that people can work anywhere. Seek out and reward ambition. Stamp out mediocrity and paper pushing.

Worked for Legal & General Group? Contribute to the Community!