Legal & General Group

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Breedon

Collegiate environment and family friendly

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)
Kingswood, South West England, England

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in the Kingswood office and valued the out of London location. Great work/life balance (gym, yoga, running and football on site and flexible hours), happy and clever colleagues, excellent cafeteria and resources. The company was very supportive of study and professional development.

ConsSomewhat sleepy village, no opportunities to network outside the company. Team based culture which I personally liked but it does make it more difficult for individuals to stand out.

Plodding along

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Kingswood, South East England, England

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good pension and benefits, including life assurance, medical cover, sports facilities and restaurant. Good work-life balance. Work was not too demanding and there were plenty of nice people. Pretty much everyone in the company wanted to do the right thing by the customer.

ConsMy whole L&G experience, which lasted four years, was just too slow for me. The company was very unexciting, very risk averse, very process driven and generally quite a lumbering beast. Decision-making was slow and done by endless committees and working groups. Many people there were good at their job, but an equal or greater amount were very, very average and unwilling to step outside a very tight remit or think outside the box. A lot of people at L&G have been at the company a very long time. The person I replaced had never worked anywhere else, which I don't think is healthy.
My mind just had too much spare capacity and in the end I could stand the mediocrity no longer and had to leave before I went stark raving mad. It's probably a good place for many people, to be fair, just not me. If you are a 9 to 5 person with low ambition, then this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSilos - get rid of them. Improve technology so that people can work anywhere. Seek out and reward ambition. Stamp out mediocrity and paper pushing.

Fixed Term Contracts is a one way win.

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly atmosphere with extra curricular activity such as charity work, running and cake baking.

ConsHR advertises the job as perm and then changes it after the interview.

Working hours discriminated against woman with out children. Expecting them to work longer than those with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of expensive grade 7's that don't do much except network well and keep in with their "friends". They look after number one.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Privileged to have been a part of such a great company, highly recommendable.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Hove, England

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLovely colleagues, professional environment and good working hours.

ConsThe work manager tracking system can get a bit tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on individuals as a whole would be beneficial.

Allowed me to build my career and take necessary courses/qualifications to suit business needs

Business Trainer (Former Employee)
Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, development opportunities . Worked as telesales, quality and business trainer. Learnt a lot about regulation in financial services and training. Reasonable working hours.

ConsProgression and wage increases massively reduced dying the downturn in the economy and restricted development opportunities creating repeat work with very little recognition or reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanged since I worked here.

Great experience great people and culture

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Legal & General Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsHuge company, good culture, helpful people

Conscant think of anything now

A great company

Compliance Adviser (Former Employee)
Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Legal & General Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood opportunities within a large firm.

ConsSometimes impersonal due to size of the firm.

Good benefits, but disappointing recognition of development

Birmingham, England

I have been working at Legal & General Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits and opportunities/encouragement to develop/cross-train.

ConsLittle room for progression, particularly within one's own department or team. Similarly, although bonus is related to job performance, base salary doesn't reflect performance, knowledge, skills or development. Once you start on a salary, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you manage to get a promotion and step up a grade.

Run by beancounters

Kingswood, South East England, England

I have been working at Legal & General Group

ProsNot expected to work over your contracted hours
Benefits towards the top end - enhanced maternity pay
Most people get on well with each other
Probably much better in a business unit rather than Group
Swimming Pool

ConsLow salaries - kingswood is not in Central London, but still need London wages to tempt those from London to work there.
High levels of poorly managed out-sourcing
Silo business structure with no joined up thinking
Very antiquated IT systems, some originating from the 1960s!
Not progressive
Parts of HR have been out-sourced
Can only park in the car park 4 out of 5 days per week - need to nominate a no park day
Seen by management to be a 'lifestyle' choice to work there meaning we don't pay you much and don't expect long working hours or any chances of promotion.
PCs with floppy disk drives!! - No real investment in IT infrastructure
Still on MS office 2000 for most staff
Very slow processes. Some processes are just there to justify the hierarchical management structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn paper it may look that out-sourced services to TCS have saved money. However, the reality is that very little has been achieved by them for the money that has been spent. Rather than looking at the overall cost of providing services you really need to look at outcomes as well. TCS may charge 1/2 that of a UK out-sourced provider, but with fixed budgets it means they have delivered 1/2 of what they should have as they take much longer to complete jobs than UK based out-sourced companies.
Take a real look at some of the most innovative companies out there and try to emulate them. Rather than out-sourcing work, create projects to solve specific business problems that will be managed in house. Use more UK workers rather than Indian born ones from TCS.

Too much change in structure

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Legal & General Group

ProsPeople, work ethic, location, training

ConsPay Promotion Politics Old systems Resistance to change

Worked for Legal & General Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Legal & General Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Legal & General Group CEO Tim Breedon. All 19 reviews are posted anonymously by Legal & General Group employees.