Lennox

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lennox CEO and Director Todd M. Bluedorn

Todd M. Bluedorn

Pros:
  • "Very competitive salaries and usually there are opportunities to grow"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good hours, good product, good inventory, good benefits, and good pay"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard push for new business and middle management not able to motivate sales team appropriately"
    in 4 reviews
  • "an employee might hit a glass ceiling where they can't seem to move up any further"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sugar coated hell

I worked at Lennox as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsLennox is a multibillion dollar company that does business around the world. No matter where you are in the world someone will need the product that Lennox produces; and, Lennox has a stranglehold on the market. The company has a good, all be it shaky foundation that spans over 100 years.

ConsThe only way to get ahead in this business is honestly who you know. Your merit in the company is based on the level of brown nosing you are willing to do. There is virtually no inside growth; meaning, if you start in the mail room, you will end in the mail room. The only people who promote are not the people who deserve it based on performance, but the people that earn it by kissing the butt of their boss. Glass ceiling would be a gross understatement. If you enjoy working off the clock for long hours with no time for your family and/or friends this is the place for you. For this company the dollar is the bottom line, and the employee is expendable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with a bit of dignity and respect. Stop lying to the customer and only catering to the big business you get. You will bend over backwards for the Orangutang's and Parker and Sons' but will not lift a finger to help the Green Air solution's and people like that. Level the playing field a bit and don't charge $1,000 plus for a compress that you can buy down the street for $500-600. Get someone into a position who has worked in the wearhouse and still remembers what it is like to deal with the customer in a setting other than $10 beers and $100 steak dinners on the companies dime.

extremely satisfying

Head-Human Resources (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Lennox

ProsVery good culture, which permits me to manage my personal and professional lives better

Consgrowth in India,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing else, I can think of

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great Company for talented engineers and minorities

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at Lennox

Pros1.Very lean organization! Waste of monetary asset not tolerated. Several key initiatives in play to ensure continued profittable in the face of continued margin squeeze.
2. Product quality and reliability a key focus.
3. Leadership in the PDR group is both strong mangerially and technically ( which is pleasantly refreshing).
4. Best company in the HVAC market space to work for!

Cons1. Too heavy a focus on creating premimum product in a commoditized market, need to have a better product mix to respond to market demand.
2. Lots of high quality talent being underutilized.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more agile

Fantastic team of people

I have been working at Lennox

ProsPretty conservative which means not easily affected by market fluctuations. They don't hire and fire admin staff just due to seasonal demand or lack thereof.

ConsNot too many growth opportunities in terms of title/level. But then they also do not blindly create positions just to satisfy the whims of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job. Your positive attitude and keeping reasonable expectations, even in hyper market growth phases has kept this company a tight ship.

Good place to work. Management are typically quality people with good integrity.

I have been working at Lennox

ProsLennox is very open to employees moving around to different departments after a minimum time in each position and moving up when possible.

ConsDepending on your background, education, etc., an employee might hit a glass ceiling where they can't seem to move up any further. This is probably true of most corporate environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your policy of openness and transparency. Continue with strong R&D.

Non-event

I worked at Lennox

ProsThe salary and benefits are fairly good. The company loves innovation so you will get to see the company producing new and better products all the time. There is a lot of feedback/collaboration between departments, this helps makes work easier and quicker.

ConsUnless you have a military background, your future is fairly limited. A fair portion of Senior Management has a military background (Westpoint, Annapolis etc) and executive promotions and hires reflect this bias.
Lennox tends to "overhire" for positions resulting in qualified and able folks working junior roles. This drives frustration and angst in theranks. The idea is to bring in promotable people, but due to the paucity of senior positions and the decline in the HVAC market over the last several years, there is litttle to look forward to in the company.

Has gone downhill over the years

I worked at Lennox

ProsGood pay and benefits, good location, nice office buildings, some good people, nice property with fountains and lake, on-site fitness center.

ConsExecutive leadership is too short term focused and not strategic enough. There are too many execs with military backgrounds that do not take input and instead have a "do it my way" approach. The company's culture has suffered as a result. In my view, this company has "jumped the shark" so to speak (its best days are probably behind them).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in your company that are trying to do the right thing. Truly appreciate your employees. Think long-term. Use data to drive decisions, instead of emotion and rank.

Great Pay, but you sell your soul

Sourcing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lennox

ProsGreat Benefits, Amazing Bonus plan, use of the corporate jet was nice. Had flexibility in work location, but sometimes that was a bad thing.

ConsManagement was horrible. This is a good old boys club, and it is run like a traditional American company from the 80s. Gifts and trips are considered OK, Dinners and Drinks with suppliers are expected. Don't challenge or question anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery talented people, but since the product line is old and stodgy, there is no reason for the company to be run like the same way.

good training bad pay

HVAC Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lennox

Prosbenefits are and training are very good .pay and raises are not there. they tell us to sell more products to improve our pay.but we are not salesmen and many customers are gettin tired of the high pressure sales.

Consmany customers want to have a mom and pop feel from their hvac contractor. the customers are getting fed up talking to a call center in another state. i have seen a 70% turnover in the past year alone and customers notice.

Lennox

COMMERCIAL SALES ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lennox

ProsGreat industry to work in.

ConsThe economy has really hurt us so the company had to enforce some cut backs last year. Unfortunately those of us left have been treated like "be glad you have a job". Not seeing a lot of support from our corporate office in the last year. Crossing our fingers it will get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees as if you could not run the company without them. We all contribute and work very hard to keep customer satisfaction and sales up.

Worked for Lennox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lennox reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Lennox CEO Todd M. Bluedorn. All 54 reviews are posted anonymously by Lennox employees.