Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros:
  • "The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance"
    in 57 reviews
  • "You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits"
    in 77 reviews
Cons:
  • "The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance"
    in 56 reviews
  • "No work life balance, impossible to meet new goals, getting worse by the day"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent environment, great people and professional growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWell managed, stable company with many opportunities to grow and increase skills. Very competitive salary and compensation package with incentive awards. Many, many great people in all parts of the organization who are willing to collaborate to meet objectives.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement if you are not in the "right" location or unable to relocate, resulting in the loss of loyal employees with strong skills and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to really listen to your employees, especially those with a number of years of service. While the Employee Opinion survey is a good attempt, little of the feedback is really acted upon, long term.

A great place to develop and learn, but be prepared to work very hard

Claims Team Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent compensation and benefits and opportunities to be involved in extra projects if you're interested. Truly uses employee opinions to try to make things better. Offers lots of internship and recent college graduate programs that provides excellent training and experience. Big supporter for community involvement and charity.

ConsHas very high expectations for employees and has constant change. Every year you're expected to continuously get better. If you are not able to relocate or travel, the opportunity to advance is limited, unless you are in Boston or Seattle.

Great company to work for

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Prosunlimited income, base+comm, great benefits

Consprospecting, prospecting, prospecting. Chasing business all the time, very few leads provided for you. Rates are not very competitve

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great fast paced work environment

Subrogation Technician (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement likes to motivate empoloyees

ConsDid not give me time to catch up on my work after they assigned me to another job and my work was 3 months behind.

Great Start to a sales career

Business Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Rye, NY (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExtensive training and manger support

ConsCold calling is hard to get used to but you do and you will generate leads this way.

Sr. Claim Specialist I

Senior Claim Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Salary and Benefits. Coworkers were very nice to work with. Casual days for good performance. Work with you with you have a conflict with your schedule

ConsNo manager consistency. Due to different manager styles, employees have different expectations on overall file presentation. This also results in more leniency depending on your manager.

Good work/life balance but be prepared to really work hard first couple years to build customer base.

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

ProsDepending on your manager, there's minimal micromanagement. Very strong in training and sales process. Sales people have a line of service reps to help free up time to sell.

ConsPay the first year is tough due to lack of customer base. Commission structure could be better defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline payouts so reps can set daily goals to hit instead of just aiming at getting the ideal customer.

Overall, pleasant experience working for the company

Finance Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has a friendly and collaborative work environment. Employees help each other to achieve goals. Good advancement opportunities at lower levels.

ConsLack of diversity at senior management level. Many senior managers have been working at the company for a long time, true leadership skills are at times absent, decision making and change execution are slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn today's global market, it is important to have diversified workforce at all levels. There is a distinct need d to diversify the senior management team at LMI to develop strong leadership talent.

Love the direction in which the company is going!

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe culture has been slowly changing and it is going in the right direction. Lots of growth opportunities, development resources available, and competitive pay.

ConsAlbeit positive from a company health perspective- lots of restructuring but they are making the right decisions to stick around long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to enhance talent management capabilities- we are heading in the right direction. I am disappointed on how slow the diversity and inclusion initiatives are going- we are missing out on a lot of opportunities to create a more inclusive work environment and for employees to do their best work.

Encouraging of internal career growth.

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

ProsEncouraging, motivating, forward thinking, good compensation, good benefits

ConsLimited possibilities depending on where you are located.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 898 reviews are posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.