Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,085 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Well established development centre in a Belfast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salaries and rewards
    Great place for developers
    Good technical training program

Cons

Long term employees taken for granted
    Too much emphasis on politics and not on rewarding on time and on budget delivery
    Management development very limited

Back to basics - focus on rewarding good deliveries and customer satisfaction

OK

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I work in the London branch,great people and very sociable

Cons

Manager's have their favourites and make it very well known
    No recognition

It isn't always about the 'pretty' people

Great Benefits / Some corporate red tape

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Pays decently well given workload.

Cons

Red tape when promoting etc.

Work more on development of employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a good place to learn the business

Current Employee - Personal Lines Agent  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Agent in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide salary and training to get new reps licensed and generating leads. The technology is good. The company is set up to get all the fluff out of the way, so reps can concentrate on sales.

Cons

Small commissions and quotas that get higher along with price. Sudden changes that affect the business seem to come down suddenly from above.

The Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, ok benefits

Cons

As a former field property loss specialist, I found the workload totally unreasonable. It did not lend to a healthy work/life balance. On average, I was putting in about 65 hours per week. This was due in part to their refusal to add staff in the area. They had the audacity to tell me that they only needed two reps in a metropolitan area of 4 million. I left after one year. Prior to my taking the position, two others had my position and also left within a year. I spoke to both and they left for the exact same reason as I did. When I gave my two weeks, I was told I could work the two weeks as I wanted to clean up as many files as possible. Three days later, I am told "today is my last day" and I was then locked out of the system(while I was out inspecting a loss)". While I wasn't disappointed in being locked out if their archaic system, I was disappointed in how it was handled. I was also disappointed in their claims processes, their staffing model, and their company culture as a whole. I'm currently an analyst for a large insurance broker and constantly have to battle them regarding their rates, and processes. They are also running a good company(Safeco) into the ground. If I could give "the bird" for a rating I would

Staff Properly and promote managers who have actual field experience instead of inside adjusters

Really great company, and a great working environment

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative  in  Lake Mary, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Lake Mary, FL (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Steady employment. Decent morale. Management all seem very competent. Its a company of integrity.

Cons

I could nit pick about micro-mgmnt and that sort of thing, but when you run a call center, you DO have to micromanage because even one minute wasted per employee adds up big time over the year with the hundreds of employees. There were some things I, personally, didn't like. But that was just me, and more MY issue than the company's. I ended up quitting b/c some parts were stressful to me, but they weren't stressful to the other employees. Many, many people were very happy there.

My #1 advice is to do everything in your power to keep morale high, among ALL the employees, on every level. Customers can sense when morale is good vs. bad, and it helps them feel better about the company as well.

Peaceful consistency in every office, wonderful opportunity to grow and move.

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant  in  Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is considerably fair, and the opportunities to pursue your interest are plentiful. The benefits are out of this world, with tons of vacation time beginning very quickly after you're hired.

Cons

There is some management bloat, sometimes causing communication problems and making changes difficult to implement and monitor.

Great company, not a lot of direction

Pros

I think its a great company overall but management seems myopic and distracted.

Cons

Senior management seems MIA. No one replies to emails. Workload varies and seems dead end at times.

Pay attention to the front lines people more. They know what's going on.

Great company

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. More and more employees are working from remote offices in lieu of moving to Home Office.

Cons

With any large company, there can be a lack of transparency and communication

Good pay, but they make you really work for it.

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Good pay and benefits
    -One of the best vacation policies available
    -Lots of career opportunities

Cons

-They do make you really work for your money, I get that you have to earn what you make, but they are very demanding.
    -The company is top-heavy with management - lots of people making big decisions who haven't worked in insurance before.
    -Although there are a lot of career opportunities, many good-paying opportunities require a lot of travel - not good when you have a family to take care of.

-Listen more to your employees, they are your lifeline and do want to help the company succeed.
    -Consider more teleconferencing instead of making people travel so much.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!