Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.2 1,030 reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights
1,030 Employee Reviews

OK

ProsI work in the London branch,great people and very sociable

ConsManager's have their favourites and make it very well known
    No recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementIt isn't always about the 'pretty' people

Well established development centre in a Belfast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

ProsGood salaries and rewards
    Great place for developers
    Good technical training program

ConsLong term employees taken for granted
    Too much emphasis on politics and not on rewarding on time and on budget delivery
    Management development very limited

Advice to Senior ManagementBack to basics - focus on rewarding good deliveries and customer satisfaction

Great place to work, very corporate environment

Finance Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsLiberty is a great place to work. The facilities are awesome (especially the new cafe in the new building). People are generally friendly, and the company is large so you can make friends easily. They give a lot of training opportunities and are supportive of employees going to grad school part time or taking certification tests. Not to mention the hours are great (9-5 almost no exceptions).

ConsThe environment is very conservative and corporate. Suits everyday ( even in the summer), conversation often consists of the weather, opportunity for growth (but not necessarily at the fastest pace)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the better big companies in Boston

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsI like that people know what they're doing. Very little people without skill or knowledge. There is a lot of focus and people get things done. Very little politics in my group.

ConsSome people are rude and think they know it all, comes off as condescending. I wish people were a little more friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and speak plainly.

Field Investigator

Senior Field Investigator (Former Employee) Pitts, PA (US)

ProsWork load was manageable and was given freedom to work independently. Benefits and time off policies were good. Poor communications between upper management and field workers.

ConsVery poor communication between management and field workers. All departments were not on the same page and not sharing the common goal. Departments were not run efficiently.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication.

Excellent company with some large, old company quirks

Product Management (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsChallenging work, mostly friendly people, definitely not full of Type-A step over your dead carcass type. Lots of different disciplines and business units to choose from. Benefits are pretty standard but the pension and generous FTO are great!

ConsCompany is slow to remove poor performers and that creates burden on others.

Mitigation Specialist

Mitigation Specialist (Former Employee) Lake Mary, FL (US)

ProsGreat training, good benefits, great people to work with

ConsHigh claim load, long hours

Professional and responsible, like meeting a CPA on a blind date

Insurance Assistant (Current Employee) Dover, NH (US)

ProsGood benefits, pension (rare these days), and employee recognition system. Management level and above have flexibility to work from home.

ConsSome internal politics, primarily a cubicle environment, company is (understandably) risk-averse to the point where things like an on-site workout facility is thought to be too risky.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has recently changed, and some of the things I liked about the company are also changing. I would advise not to change for the sake of change. Even the most cost-effective decision can have unintended negative consequences.

Very stable and reliable company with plenty of opportunities to learn new roles.

Claims Technician (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsVarious alternative work schedules with your choice of core hours to work or compressed work weeks which allow one day off every other week. Generous flexible time off that is easy to request. New internal positions that are constantly advertised to employees first, before the public. Required dress code is trending towards casual. Process change is implemented quickly upon employee recommendation. Annual employee opinion surveys and focus groups.

ConsNo way to hold upper management accountable for bad decisions or broken promises other than an annual opinion survey. Hit or miss IT assistance when encountering technical issues. Constant change to Liberty's Intranet site make it cumbersome to navigate. Not enough options given to ergonomically customize your workspace (I was not able to obtain a stand-up desk without medical justification).

Great place to build a career and develop professional long-term relationships.

Campus Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsGreat place to build a career and develop professional long-term relationships. Managers show geniune interest in your development and career goals.

ConsCannot think of any cons.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!