Lockheed Martin

3.4 2,012 reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

2,012 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance"
    in 167 reviews
  • "with a 9/80 work schedule we are off every other Friday"
    in 74 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also, it's a crapshoot when it comes to the "work/life balance" they advertise"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Large company in a contacting field makes it difficult to feel part of the company"
    in 63 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

positive technology company but with all the usual north american corporate baggage

Business Development (Current Employee)
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

Prosstrong defence market share with positive sales outlook

Consstruggling to create cost efficient solutions

Advice to Senior Managementgrow internationally and trust in your international staff

Meh

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome opportunity to work on cool stuff. Some good people.

ConsBenefits of all sorts have been slowly stripped away since the day I walked in the door. Processes of any sort are onerous. Little opportunity for capable achievers to actually move ahead any faster than anyone else.

Glad I don't have to go back there .

Computer Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

ProsOff Friday and early finish on the on Fridays other than that that's it .

ConsToo many to mention attrition will always rise at ampthill and people will continue to leave . Bad management no chance of promotions or pay rise HR are just as bad face doesn't fit you don't stand a chance . Site is losing money projects are in a mess IT is a joke as I worked in the IT department even a manager said I was doing the right thing in leaving so many unhappy people there who are all looking for new jobs . Can't see the place being there in the next couple of years will get bought out again the American way does not work in the UK .

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your problems you all talk a good game but nothing is seen in the actions . Everybody has a negative view of the managers anyway but as long as they are being paid there fat cat paychecks they don't a sh*t my advice don't set foot in the place you can get better elsewhere .

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nothing special

Programmer Manager (Current Employee)
Havant, England

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

ProsChallenging work - opportunities to work with different areas within the business
Some great people
Internal job vacancies easy to view for potential roles

ConsHighly political managers with "favourites" - if your face does not fit it , you wont do well
Forget any kind of work-life balance if you want to get on

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with employees and listen to their views

Can't wait to leave stagnant place to work to much politics never work for the Americans again .

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

ProsThe off Friday some people are nice to you being allowed to have broken laptops that are end of life not many pros bang about ethics but never seen them in practice .

ConsGet experience not a career left to rot bad managers who have favourites march u down to hr when you ain't dancing to their tune poor pay pay rises well don't expect to be on mega money very political like yes men and kiss arses my face doesn't fit so I'm ignored new job lined up for new year I'm outta there can't wait to leave that place behind me just hanging on until my new job comes through my advice avoid this place sky high attrition rates some new starters leave before they have started that's how bad it is . Old school managers including mine need a gentle push into retirement and need a new young fresh approach place lives in a time warp old fashioned and doesn't like to be challenged. Bad ethics bad company to be stuck at I would walk out tomorrow if it was possible .

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes big changes needed start paying the money instead of paying heavily for contractors, some managers need a gentle push and start bringing Lockheed into the 21st century my uk site I work at is dull and very low morale and HR is a f ing joke awful I'm gonna stick two fingers up as I leave on my final day driving away I wouldn't recommend anyone doing time in place a colleague of mine has described it as doing time to get what he needs and then he can be released from prison. Pretty company on the outside inside is ugly .

A great place to start a career or refine a specialism, but not the place to build a diverse portfolio of experience....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin

ProsA great organisation to work for, with a depth of capability like no other. Strong ethics and values that manifest themselves in the way the company chooses to operate.

Cons'Time-served' career progression - a little stale in the 21st century and not reflective of the aspirations of its most talented employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old.... In with the new.

Poor UK performance of a well respected US giant.

Electronic Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

ProsHigher than average salaries, strong US parent performance, worked with a few exceptional engineers, pleasant facilities.

ConsPoor recruitment process - operate a bums on seat policy to demonstrate resourcing up of the projects to customers, regardless of whether that function is required at that time. Leads to long stints in the wrong post, as evidenced by the low staff moral and significantly higher than the UK average turnover for the business as a whole.

The electronics function was the poor relation, under respected and not empowered. There was a strong preference by senior management to subcontract even the simplest electronic design activities to its own competitors while the internal electronics design function scratched sound for titbits. The was an exceptionally high turnover of staff from the electronics function in the three months either side of my departure with 5 perms leaving from a core team of 10.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe value of any company is not its past glories, it's intellectually property - it's the staff. If the UK division took a long hard look at itself, particularly recruitment and retention, it could become the jewel in its US parents crown. You certainly have the skilled engineers, empower them, let them do their job and don't let them all walk out of the door before you realise their true value!

Disgusting

Electronics Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

ProsQuite good wages and friday off every other week

ConsTerrible disaster of a company, which Lockheed took over, big mistake for them, should have left it for dead. Still its not too late and probably will drop them like a stone when they fail big style on the contracts.
       The only people that are happy working there must be on pills, so i wouldnt listen to them! Most appalling place i ever worked in, dreadful politics, useless staff and megalomaniac management. Rampent culture of framing employees for senior staff failures by forcing them to write documents with content that would incriminate themselves in the event of failure. These failures would most certainly occur which is why the senior staff dont want their name on the documents.Those that spot this and refuse to play along are then bullied by management till they quit. Relevant HR arent based on site and do absolutely nothing if you complain.
      Almost 50% turnover of staff in just one year, sadly they will land in another company that is most likey the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementCant think of anything to put here that wouldnt result in my comment being removed from this site!

Overall a strong company to work for

Systems Engineer Senior (Current Employee)
Havant, England

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

ProsVery ethical, diverse company. Lots of depth in some areas (i.e. key programmes / products). Well understood structure, plenty of room for movement.

ConsVery deep hierarchy, can be at risk of being pigeon-holed and therefore remove ability to move between roles. Very process heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, understand some subtle feedback and know when to accept advice from those who are your junior. Encourage alternative ways of doing things rather than 'it's this way or the highway'.

Mechanical Designer

Mechanical Designer (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have been working in Lockheed Martin for 6 years. I love to work with this company because I love military.

ConsI like to design in mechanical equipments and everyone in the same department.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is good guy and helped employees with fair.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Lockheed Martin Videos

Lockheed Martin – Why Work for Us?

From our history to our international footprint, there are certain things you want to know about us as it pertains to your career. Many CAREER AREAS To Choose From Discover where your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All 2,012 reviews are posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.