Lockheed Martin

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.4 2,221 reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance(in 199 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer(in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management(in 68 reviews)

2,221 Employee Reviews

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly co-workers, interesting field of development work

ConsLots of training and clearance required before you can become involved with work.

Good Company - Poor Management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work, opportunities for advancement especially if you work at the mothership factory.

ConsManagement is very poor. People are not generally promoted based on ability but rather by who they are good friends with. Job reqs are unfair, position descriptions are developed for an individual so they they will be the one best qualified for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove leadership at remote facilities.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Ampthill, England

ProsWork can be quite interesting, good to get a few things on your CV but generally unbearable.

ConsBlame culture, company does not value employees not prepared to give employees what they need to do their job, leaders are complete time wasters, high staff turnover (more than any company i've ever heard of), hypocrital leadership team, no organisation, no prospects, no ethics, poor health and safety and no one seems to do the job they thought they would be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and dont tell people they're wrong about their own opinions. Give people feedback, encourage continuous improvement. Value employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

30 Year Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had a variety of jobs and opportunities around the world.

ConsI think that I probably averaged 60 - 70 hours per week for my entire career.

Glad I don't have to go back there .

Computer Engineer (Former Employee) Ampthill, England

ProsOff Friday and early finish on the on Fridays other than that that's it .

ConsToo many to mention attrition will always rise at ampthill and people will continue to leave . Bad management no chance of promotions or pay rise HR are just as bad face doesn't fit you don't stand a chance . Site is losing money projects are in a mess IT is a joke as I worked in the IT department even a manager said I was doing the right thing in leaving so many unhappy people there who are all looking for new jobs . Can't see the place being there in the next couple of years will get bought out again the American way does not work in the UK .

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your problems you all talk a good game but nothing is seen in the actions . Everybody has a negative view of the managers anyway but as long as they are being paid there fat cat paychecks they don't a sh*t my advice don't set foot in the place you can get better elsewhere .

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Meh

ProsSome opportunity to work on cool stuff. Some good people.

ConsBenefits of all sorts have been slowly stripped away since the day I walked in the door. Processes of any sort are onerous. Little opportunity for capable achievers to actually move ahead any faster than anyone else.

positive technology company but with all the usual north american corporate baggage

Business Development (Current Employee) Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

Prosstrong defence market share with positive sales outlook

Consstruggling to create cost efficient solutions

Advice to Senior Managementgrow internationally and trust in your international staff

Nothing special

Programmer Manager (Current Employee) Havant, England

ProsChallenging work - opportunities to work with different areas within the business
    Some great people
    Internal job vacancies easy to view for potential roles

ConsHighly political managers with "favourites" - if your face does not fit it , you wont do well
    Forget any kind of work-life balance if you want to get on

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with employees and listen to their views

Can't wait to leave stagnant place to work to much politics never work for the Americans again .

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ampthill, England

ProsThe off Friday some people are nice to you being allowed to have broken laptops that are end of life not many pros bang about ethics but never seen them in practice .

ConsGet experience not a career left to rot bad managers who have favourites march u down to hr when you ain't dancing to their tune poor pay pay rises well don't expect to be on mega money very political like yes men and kiss arses my face doesn't fit so I'm ignored new job lined up for new year I'm outta there can't wait to leave that place behind me just hanging on until my new job comes through my advice avoid this place sky high attrition rates some new starters leave before they have started that's how bad it is . Old school managers including mine need a gentle push into retirement and need a new young fresh approach place lives in a time warp old fashioned and doesn't like to be challenged. Bad ethics bad company to be stuck at I would walk out tomorrow if it was possible .

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes big changes needed start paying the money instead of paying heavily for contractors, some managers need a gentle push and start bringing Lockheed into the 21st century my uk site I work at is dull and very low morale and HR is a f ing joke awful I'm gonna stick two fingers up as I leave on my final day driving away I wouldn't recommend anyone doing time in place a colleague of mine has described it as doing time to get what he needs and then he can be released from prison. Pretty company on the outside inside is ugly .

A great place to start a career or refine a specialism, but not the place to build a diverse portfolio of experience....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great organisation to work for, with a depth of capability like no other. Strong ethics and values that manifest themselves in the way the company chooses to operate.

Cons'Time-served' career progression - a little stale in the 21st century and not reflective of the aspirations of its most talented employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old.... In with the new.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!