Lockton Companies

Updated 4 March 2015
3.8

Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau
John L. Lumelleau

Pros
  • Good hours, people, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Lockton is a fun, fast paced work environment that allows you to set your own career path and goals (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent for employees in a supporting/shared services role (in 14 reviews)

• No opportunity to work from home or remotely, even just occasionally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Be prepared to work VERY hard!

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company, that genuinely cares about customer and client service. They are happy to sponsor CII and other training, and have remained successful despite the recession. Work is fast paced, but interesting and varied for the most part.

Staff (in my division anyway) are given good opportunities from the start for meeting underwriters, clients and other organisations. The company often holds internal seminars that are genuinely helpful in many cases.

If you want to get involved in new business, special projects etc, generally you can, and management support the staff in learning about other areas outside your own division.

The social life is excellent if you like that sort of thing.

Many of the people employed at Lockton are very knowledgeable and passionate about what they do, which creates a good atmosphere, and almost everyone is very approachable.

Cons

People are often too scared to admit mistakes, given the 100% accuracy at all times the management expect. This leads to a lot of finger pointing and an 'it was his/her fault, not mine' culture which creates a negative office environment where everyone just covers their back and doesn't look out for their colleagues.

IT (the actual PC's), and associated systems are horribly outdated and slow, which affects your day to day work, every day. It makes no sense that the company pays for enormous swanky new offices then fills them with equipment that in many cases is pushing 10 years old.

New starter training is just non existent and new staff are only brought it when the existing staff are at breaking point in terms of work loads, which then means they then have no time to train the new person. This all creates a poor work / life balance and anything from a 40-45 hour week sometimes even more is the norm for many.

There is an 'all business is good business' attitude which is wrong. The business will keep hold of clients that cost more to service than they provide in income. Whilst a high client retention rate is great, it shouldn't be at the expense of the company profits!

Lockton provide a great client service, so don't sell the company short by keeping hold of clients that cost more to service than they make in brokerage income for the business. Resign from unprofitable accounts.

Make some investment in IT infrastructure.

Don't demand 100% accuracy when staff are at breaking point. Employ extra staff in advance of picking up new business and improve the training for new starters.

Good for the most part, but watch out for nasty office politics

Former Employee - Account Handler in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Handler in London, England

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the client facing associates work very very hard to deliver a consistently high quality service to clients. It’s for the most part a highly professional environment and business is placed in the right way (i.e. there are no dubious incentives to move business to one particular market etc).

There are many good internal resources and talented people in other teams, but each department is so cut off from each other that it can take time to identify that, but when you do find them it's great.

It’s a good place to be if you have the skills and knowledge to jump straight into the busy work environment, and promotion prospects are good. Some of the management are very talented, dedicated people.

Very good with charity and wider community support if that's your thing and the training opportunities (well organised centrally by HR) are fantastic.

Great social scene, and many opportunities to get out and about with clients, underwriters etc, regardless of your level of experience.

Cons

Way too much micro management, more trust of the (for the most part) very talented associates is needed. Some nasty office politics from some (but not all) management. Working my notice was not a pleasurable experience.

A lot of 'deadwood' in senior management, who are paid a fortune for doing not very much, but the talented middle management don't dare make a noise for fear of hurting their own promotion chances.

It is expected of you to work long hours or take work home to get everything done, and this is seen as the norm and perfectly acceptable on a daily basis. Work / Life balance is poor and new staff are only brought in when existing teams are at absolute breaking point.

Insane bureaucracy that's incredibly outdated. MRC slips and cover notes for policies that are a couple of hundred quid is just bonkers and wastes so much time.

Some (but not all) of the systems are very outdated, and it has woefully poor IT generally for such a large company.

Training is poor for new starters because no one has the time to do it. It's not a good place to start an insurance or broking career.

You're won't be employed if you're a married woman at or near child bearing age. How this happens in 2014 I have no idea. More diversity is definitely needed.

Get rid of the deadwood clinging on at the top and distribute their money lower down the organisation.

Reduce the bureaucracy and double keying of everything and trust your associates more / give them breathing space to do their jobs (and hire new staff before work is at breaking point).

If you expect all associates to put in the extra hours, you need to make sure you're paying them for it (compensation is not the best).

I have had an amazing work experience since starting in August. Best place to start a career.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies

Pros

The people are amazing. The training is fantastic. The atmosphere around the office is what makes this job great

Cons

Work can be redundant at times

Keep doing what you are doing.

Excellent company, loved working for them.

I worked at Lockton Companies

Pros

Great people, nice office, and awesome experience.

Cons

No cons to list for me, personally.

I do not have any advice to management.

Very good company to work for

I have been working at Lockton Companies

Pros

Great benefits and culture with community involvement

Cons

No challenges in my department

If service is your #1 priority, the rewards are great

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time

Pros

Great resources, education and support. Whatever you need to serve the client, they will find a way to provide

Cons

Rigorous demands on time, requires absolute commitment ahead of all else

Great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Social Friday. A lot of social activities and a young workforce. A lot of smart people that have a ton of experience in the industry.

Cons

Difficult to get a promotion.

Promote more often

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Involvement in the community
    - Great national resources, while maintaining a local atmosphere
    - Great training programs

Cons

- Work life balance during 4th quarter, but that is to be expected with employee benefits
    - Not a lot of upward mobility

Best years of my life.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to work under the CEO and a few founding partners. The culture was fun and caring. I believe these were the best years of my life and sometimes I regret leaving but after almost 10 years it was time to take on some more challenges. This company isn't perfect for everyone but if you are a self starter and willing to show your drive, they support you 100%. If you are loyal, they are loyal.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to get promoted here. You really have toot your own horn a lot and to many of the up and coming powers to get noticed but I believe that is because everyone is staying so busy. They hire at a decent salary but the raises and bonus program needs some attention. I left for financial reasons. The only other downfall might be their medical benefits because they are linked up with other offices that have high risk employees under their policy. When I was single I think I paid almost $350 month for health insurance and the deductible was $2,500 and then when I had a child it was almost $500 a month with a 5K deductible. That is hard for those who aren't going to pay 5K in health costs. My child and I never reached that and paying full price for doctor visits, lab work, etc. hurt my wallet sometimes.

For the new management coming into power once the old guys retire....keep it fun and show you care. TFK made sure the culture there was fun and he showed he cared about the employees. He treated everyone like family. The raises aren't too great and the bonus program can use some work but sometimes I felt like the work/life balance made up for that. I felt appreciated there and that alone made me want to come into work and bust my tail for all of you guys. I felt like I left family behind when I resigned.

Worked at Lockton as a commercial insurance summer associate

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies

Pros

Compensation, Organized out of office functions

Cons

Culture, Hierarchical Structure leads some feeling subordinated as paper pushers

Work to achieve a flatter job structure

Lockton Companies Photos