Lodgian

3.4

Lodgian CEO and President Dana M. Ciraldo
Dana M. Ciraldo

It was what it was.

Former Employee - Evening Auditor  in  Middletown, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Evening Auditor in Middletown, NY (US)

Pros

Job not particularly complex. Good if you like interacting with and servicing guests. Working night shifts can be very quiet at times (a plus if you like that).

Cons

Dealing with people up all night "wilding" and disturbing other guests (if you were expecting quietness on the evening shift). Low pay of course.

I think some of the guest management issues have been worked out for the better. The place I worked had an antiquated tracking and management system.

A fine enough job for what it is.

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  Gainesville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Gainesville, FL (US)

Pros

It is a fairly easy job and is only sometimes stressful. The hours weren't entirely flexible, but concessions were made when they needed to be. My coworkers were also nice.

Cons

The job was sometimes boring and I didn't see much room for advancement. Also, I felt disconnected from a lot of the other departments as we didn't interact all that often. There was no importance placed on getting to know anyone other than those you worked directly with.

Make sure that people who are in every position feel appreciated and valued. Also, make sure that the work place feels open and that different employees can communicate with each other.

Great college job

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent  in  Lawrence, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Lawrence, KS (US)

Pros

I work part-time at the front desk of a Holiday inn, while attending college. Overall, the atmosphere is great - everyone, from the bottom to the top, is very team oriented.

There are definitely busy times and slow times, though. Weekends from around March through November are usually crazy - lots of weddings and business conferences in our convention center. But even during peak times, the weekdays and weeknights are still pretty low-key. That's awesome for a college student like myself. I finished a lot of homework on the clock! I know that sounds bad, but hey, someone has to man the front desk, even when the hotel is completely dead.

Cons

We are independently owned and you can definitely tell by how skimpy the housekeepers are paid, how chintzy the benefits are for full-timers, etc. Also, management has changed so many times around here it's ridiculous. I think we've finally got some good people in place though.

Take better care of your employees and they will likely return the favor and stick around for awhile.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Own Your Own Business

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  Hillside, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Hillside, IL (US)

Pros

There are good people and great discounts Worldwide.

Cons

The company is not as progressive as they claim to be....the benefits are ok but in this day in age they only offer domestic partner benefits for same sex couples...Alot of companies out there already offer opposite sex benefits..2 weeks vacation considering the amount of work you do throughout the year is not enough....Lots of micro managing and a lot of thesenior management doesn't know how to speak to the sales associates and can be very condescending...not a respectful environment at times.

RESPECT...lead by example and be consistent and fair to everyone...do more team building activities in the stores and help the employees grow..There are many people that have so much potential and feel stagnant cause senior management holds them back and don't help them develop...
    RESPECT again !!! there is a lack of in a big way, it fosters low morale and harbors a lot of ill feelings in the store environment...more communication between management and sales associates.

Pretty good place to work!

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Portland, OR (US)

Pros

Cheap hotel stays around the world! Excellent people to work with, I loved my boss! She was awesome! Meet lots of different and interesting people! Ability to eat anything in the breakfast bar! :P

Cons

Not so nice pay, could use benefits for all employees. Sometimes/a lot of the times guest expect more than we have ever given them. Some expected free room upgrades when they were staying for 2 weeks! And they pretty much demanded it! Unfortunately due to weak management who gave in all the time, guests figured out they could walk all over us and say, "well you did it last time!"

Compensate the employees better!

Low pay, no training, but hey, it's a paycheck.

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  Traverse City, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Traverse City, MI (US)

Pros

You get a paycheck, a small, small, paycheck. There is little to no training, the manager takes training tests for you and lets you know that you got a 100 percent on the computer training. They ask if you want a tour of the hotel so you can explain the rooms and lay out to guests, but then refuse to show you. There is a lot of back stabbing and gossip allowed to go on between assosiates and managers. Overall, a very immature, weakly, run hotel which shows a lot of complacency. They are riding on the Holiday Inn Brand.

Cons

As with many other entry level positions, a lot of work for a little pay. Very multitasking intensive, combined with kissing up to rude patrons. Little to no training.

Train your people.

Worked for Lodgian? Contribute to the Community!