Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan

Charles McMillan

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance and family-friendly"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good pay and job security and good if you are a scientist"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Located in a small town, not much to do around here off the clock"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The amount of red tape is incredible"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very good place to work

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

ProsMany positions have good job security

ConsLots of rules and regulations to follow

Love/Hate

Research Technologist I (Former Employee)

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic location for outdoorsy people, high paying, great benefits, good work-life balance, relatively high potential for career growth depending on which group you work for

ConsBureaucracy, dealing with people who have no incentive to work hard (and therefore do not work hard), scientifically isolated depending on which group you work for, easy to become complacent and waste important years in career.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many problems to even begin...

Cutting edge science and technology

Program Management (Current Employee)
Los Alamos, NM (US)

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAmazing research, innovation, and collaboration on the science side of the house. Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas. The pension plan was a great pro, but it is now a closed plan.

ConsResistance to change, political based decisions, heavy oversight, attempts to govern by consensus, self-inflicted red tape and externally imposed bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not succumb to just maintaining the status quo.

Many years, many places in the Lab

Technical Staff Member (TSM) (Current Employee)
Los Alamos, NM (US)

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat if you like rural and want to be an important part of a very important mission.

ConsRed Tape. Procurement is a 12 week ordeal. Engineering processes do not have to be so rigorous in non nuclear facilities, it just increases cost with no benefit. You just have to realize this going in to the workplace. Make sure the spouse likes Los Alamos before you move. Go to realtor.com before you move.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to pre-2006 management practices if this place is to survive.

Great place to learn from intelligent mentors; however things take too long to get done.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Los Alamos, NM (US)

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs a young scientist, it's a great community to learn from. There is a considerable amount of job security--even as an intern. And, you can take every other Friday off!

ConsThe structure of the lab makes it difficult to get tasks completed in a timely manner. Living in the city of Los Alamos is extremely dull.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the scientists focus on the science.

I enjoyed my time at LANL as a student intern and I learned a lot of useful skills.

Mechanical Technician Student Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern for more than 5 years

ProsMy mentor was very hands on and he taught me a lot over the course of my time at LANL.

ConsThe work I did had very little to do with the degree I was seeking, but the skills I learned are still very useful.

A so-so place to work

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

ProsTime and life balance is great.

ConsSoft money is going away - makes it hard to recommend LANL as a place to work. Can be tough to remain at the top of your profession, there is not a lot of support for professional development.

Once a paragon of scientific endeavors, now just a jobs program

Middle Management (Current Employee)
Los Alamos, NM (US)

ProsThis laboratory was once a beacon of strong scientific work. Many scientists of repute wanted to work at the laboratory.

Living in Northern New Mexico is a truly great experience. And the Dept. of Energy still assists in keeping the local schools competitive with the best nationally.

ConsThe laboratory is raping the scientific programs to maintain its position as a jobs program for Northern New Mexico. Bloated management and even more bloated support structure that is immune to budget issues. Those are borne by the scientific staff.

Bechtel has turned the place into a site for rotations of their management members. They come for a few years, refuse to live in Los Alamos and after reeking havoc for a couple of years, return to the mother ship.

The schools are falling apart to maintain salaries that are among the highest in the state.

This organization cannot propose a major activity and complete it within schedule and budget. And this mindset has permeated the entire laboratory.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop ripping off your employees for the benefit of the lab contractors. The saddest day in this lab's history was when management decided to become a for-profit organization. Now it is all about the fee and profit, not the excellence of the work being done.

Lifetime employee

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsHigh caliber peer group. Nice environment.

ConsLow caliber management. Incredible bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory

ProsTalented/smart colleagues. Lots of opportunities to learn. People work hard and play hard.

ConsIf you have a family, it might be hard for your spouse to find a job there unless he/she has right skills for the lab.

Worked for Los Alamos National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Alamos National Laboratory reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Los Alamos National Laboratory CEO Charles McMillan. All 80 reviews are posted anonymously by Los Alamos National Laboratory employees.