Los Angeles Reviews

Updated 26 September 2014
4.0

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa
Antonio R. Villaraigosa

Pros
  • Friendly and culturally diverse work environment (in 7 reviews)

• The position is well paying, there are good benefits, and the there is a low work load (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to apply for higher positions if you want to work in a specific one (in 2 reviews)

• Too many lazy employees who would do just the minimum to keep their job (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrific, hands-on experience.

Current Employee - Summer Law Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Summer Law Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Los Angeles as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The supervising attorneys treated me as if I was an attorney myself. High amount of responsibilities given to me from day one.

Cons

Not a lot of feedback. You are expected to work and do the work well.

Provide more feedback.

Broad range of people and skills contribute on a wide variety of Los Angeles' civil services.

Former Employee - ColdFusion Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - ColdFusion Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Los Angeles as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to help beat down the cost of government, there is no more direct way than working for them.

Cons

Technology was not really cutting edge. Purchases of new hardware, and software was a bit of an uphill battle.

Suggest continuing to work on bringing in the right talent to work on consolidation efforts, and implement more technology with both the short and long term outlook. It will also be important to consider upkeep costs of technologies, both for adopting new, and continuing to keep the old technology around past it's expiration date.

It's what you make it...

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, union, variety of assignments, you can make a difference

Cons

If you haven't promoted in ten years, move to another Department. Nepotism, Cliques --try to be cordial to all! A few problem people, but not as much as private sector. Definitely ageism, very very few promotable positions. You really have to be in the "clique" to be deemed promotable. But its good if you have a family to raise or elderly parents to care for. You get to meet good people and people who are doing great things in the community. Managers tend to overburden good employees because they won't get rid of the super lazy. Most people are hard working, smart people but, hard work alone rarely results in a promotion. It's being related to someone powerful, a frat or sorority friend, or other qualifications outside work. I don't know what other people are talking about--but my work load is heavy, and the City is not filling worker bee positions. All in all, I enjoy working hard and problem solving for the City of LA, and am extremely grateful for the medical benefits.

Stop overloading the good employees because you don't want to deal with the super lazy.

Recreation Assistant

Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Van Nuys, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Van Nuys, CA (US)

I have been working at Los Angeles part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your looking for a part time job the pay is decent. The people are generally good - Management is hit and miss...

Cons

This is a part time position that will never lead to more then 1040 hour per year.

Great for student to learn and experience a lot

Current Employee - Student Professional Worker in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Professional Worker in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn a lot, regardless of your major.
    Office culture is good.
    Great experience, if you are willing to learn and work.

Cons

After the busy season, it is a little bit boring.
    I hate some supervisor likes to have his/her small group and has coffee time only with his/her small group...

Well paying position with great benefits and low to medium workload.

Current Employee - Communication Information Representative
    Current Employee - Communication Information Representative

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits, pay and work experience are all pluses to working for the city of L.A. Depending on the department you land in, career advancement can be moderate to difficult but it is possible and it is there. It's just not in abundance the way it was 5 - 10 years ago. If you're pro-union, it's even better. I must admit, even though I'm not for unions, there are some definite "perks" to being a union member. Another great benefit that's offered by the city is tuition reimbursement for attending college. I was able to earn my degree because of it.

Cons

Unfortunately for me, there is little to no room for growth or advancement. I've basically topped out at my position. The actual facility where I work needs dramatic improvement. New carpet or no carpet, new paint, new lighting, a complete redo of the restroom facilities and some serious pest control would most definitely go a long way. Communication between management and employees needs dramatic improvement. Seniority rules throughout the city, which basically means that anyone who's at the bottom of the totem pole is out of luck. You'll be hard pressed to get weekends off or spend quality time with your family.

Communication needs huge improvement and even though people earn their seniority through time served with the city, there has to be a better way to allow others to work more family conducive schedules. The last time I checked, we do live in the United States; a democratic society.

Good

Current Employee - Engineer Associate I in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer Associate I in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Adequate entry-level pay, good work-life balance.

Cons

Not too challenging, there are down times.

I knew the rules and the union would answer question if you had concerns, unless you worked for LAPD

I worked at Los Angeles

Pros

Great benefits, good money, and training!!!!!

Cons

Great company, only cons were working for LAPD-when you had a Sgt or LT that thought they were God.

Listen to your employees

TFLA Intern

I have been working at Los Angeles as an intern

Pros

Work on various large scale projects. Good experience to learn.

Cons

They don't hire international students.

Professional mobility

Former Employee - Planning Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Planning Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Los Angeles as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Planning staff has a wide array of projects, issues and disciplines in which to operate within. High degree of continuing professional education and gainful hands on experience from GIS, economic analysis, housing, transportation, code development, opportunity for professionalism

Cons

Professional testing leading to career advancement is competitive and standard by governmental requirements. However, the selection process with regards to appointment is obfuscated by subjective metrics inherent to an established 'old boy network'.

department should be more reflective of the populace it serves

Los Angeles Photos