Los Angeles USD

Updated 15 August 2014

3.3

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy
John Deasy

Pros
  • Great benefits and work / life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Not working for a corporation, doing a social good, some union protection against overly abusive supervisors, good work/life balance and benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts and beauracracy is difficult to deal with (in 7 reviews)

• beaurocracy, micro manager, no room to go up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

There are many intelligent people working there, even if it does not seems that way at first

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

For administrators, benefits are generous, salary is competitive.

Cons

As with many other government agencies, as you go up the ladder, it because alot of political then private sectors. Moving around jobs and departments is very difficult with the rigid HR system.

Get rid of the last in first out tenure (which unfortunately inherited with teachers' union) type system, and reward the competent employee fairly.

The Los Angeles Unified School District is a great place to work, there is never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

One of the best reason for working at this company are the children. They are energetic, resilient and most important, they do not take anything personally. They recover quickly and are always have a positive out look on life.

Cons

The challenge of working for the district is that there is always a child I would like to take home and care for. For example: If a child is not well cared for, or he or she is struggling with a problem that can be solved with a little extra care, I'd wish I can take the child home and care for the child, but I can't; I have to leave the child behind and head home.

The only advice I can think of is one I am sure Upper Management is already aware of. Every person is important and deserves a chance to be treated fairly. When you decide to treat a person as a human being, you and that person both win because you can learn from each other and help one another.

BEST JOB EVER!!!

Former Employee - Library Aide  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Library Aide in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

GREAT Pay!!
    Great Staff
    Learn Library science
    Entertain children
    Most of the time you are just working with the senior librarian(low stress)

Cons

Only a part time job
    Mid day hours
    You kind of wing it(not much instruction on what you should be doing when there are no kids)
    No way to move up unless you want to get a degree in Library sciences

Add more hours
    More resources
    Give some of these school libraries a much needed makeover(get rid of old outdated books, some new paint, new chairs, etc)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great starting job.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

The pay was O.K. The teachers were nice and pleasant. The office clerks were helpful

Cons

Work was a little demanding. You don't get any benefit packages as part-time. Many students are disrespectful.

Doesn't care about children or teachers, good benefits and working hours

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Full benefits, good working hours

Cons

Cut tons of services for children and slashed many jobs without opening up their budget. No raises for over 7 years along with cutting pay. Full of bureaucracy and very unstable. Would not recommend anyone who wants to be a teacher to come into the district for the way it is now.

Give your employees the raise they deserve, they have taken pay cuts and are already way underpaid for the liability and workloads they do.

Change my life for better and worse

Former Employee - High School Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Working with students who want to learn is amazing and working with those who don't is terrible . The main pro is being able to work with amazing people in a very difficult situation. If you want to find out what you are made of try being a teacher in an urban skill you will learn how to communicate, work with divergent population, and time management,

Cons

Unless you want to be an administrator you will slowly have your life sucked away. You will be given more work and more work until it just becomes too much. The work itself is doable, but they continue to give you more students until it becomes difficult to manage the work life balance.

The whole system needs a major overall. From top to bottom. Teachers should not have to teach 180 students a day.

Teacher Assistant

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

I like working with LAUSD because it give you the chance for promotions. You don't have to stay with the position you start with, and the different locations.

Cons

Well, working with different locations, that mean different personalities. Some time you work with people that don't have the same principle that hard work is intrinsically virtuous or worthy of reward. However, working with this company there are people who work with children that don't need to be working with them.

When having people working for your company, you need to know your employers.

Its been amazing experience to work with children and academics as they are the future of America.

Current Employee - Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid  in  Playa del Rey, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid in Playa del Rey, CA (US)

Pros

The positive atmosphere of an ever growing mind and supporting the children and teachers and parents of the community we live in. Knowing that what I do can effect the future,by sending positive messages and administrative professional support, I have learned to succeed in a multi-cultural and always changing enviorment. My heart and soul went into my work and I am ever grateful for the oppertunity.

Cons

The only cons I can speak of are,nine weeks off in summer.Lack of income and hard to find temp jobs.Also, of course,children come and go and its emotional,but a part of the school stays with each one and that is very nice.

Take time to breathe.Over worked and overwhelmed is not good for any one.

A great experience being that this was my first jog. I grew as an individual and made great relationships along the way.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  South Gate, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in South Gate, CA (US)

Pros

Very friendly and comfortable environment.

Cons

No paid holidays or vacation

You are alone (unsupported) in a sea of bureaucracy.

Pros

You can really develop as a Teacher within this district, and almost every Teacher I've met is honest, hard-working, and devoted to their classrooms as anyone could be. Since you know you're on your own, you learn how to make things happen without any support from District management. Your colleagues often become your best friends. Of course, the kids are wonderful, and worth all the struggle and effort. I'm not telling you anything new here when I say that Teachers have the hardest job in the world!

Cons

Being the 2nd largest district in the country has its challenges. Yes, the economy plunged, and so did this district. Laying off Teachers year after year is bad enough, but getting rid of school Nurses, Librarians, Custodial staff, Cafeteria staff, etc., meant that everyone suffered. I don't have to tell you that Teachers wear many hats, but serving breakfast in the classroom during instructional time stunned us all. Most of the decisions handed down from the district are meant to save money, sure. But finding ways to make money by implementing programs like "Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) is plain scary. There is no regard to how Teachers vote. The district will do what it wants.

If you're really in the business of educating our communities' children, then you MUST honor the hard-working professionals who live, eat, and breathe teaching. When you demonstrate over and over that you could care less about Teachers, you demonstrate you're not really in the business of providing the best possible chance these kids have at getting a high-quality education. Please don't destroy our Unions. Who else will protect us?

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!