Lowe's

Lowe's Reviews in Los Angeles, CA US

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy(in 228 reviews)

• Good opportunity for advancement if you are truly hungry to have a career(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience, this has been made up for with the work life balance(in 69 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee(in 150 reviews)

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As corporate as you can get

Cashier/Cart Fetcher (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsYou Learn how corps work, good retail and customer service experience. Good first job.

ConsCan't really grow in the company, don't train very well on the knowledge of the products, and gets boring real quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive incentives for work performed, like training in something, or ways of growing and moving forward.

A Complete Waste of Time!

Sales Specialist Plumbing (Former Employee) Rancho Santa Margarita, CA (US)

Pros"Any Port In A Storm"
    was some sort of income to survive... the great recession...

Great for meeting new people (customers) and learning to read people: body language, buyer vs. time waster, etc...

Consa) Store Management has no plans, strategy, marketing programs, or problem solving capability. Worst of all they don't even know they need this!

b) Store Management seeks to cut employee hours, pay and have you work under duress of being fired (and replaced by a part time worker at less than half your pay and no benefits). Lowes and all Retailers just want to have a minimal staff to deter shoplifting and keep the store open. Nobody cares if you have any skills or are capable of doing anything at all; just that they can always get someone CHEAPER than you in this economy...

c) Corporate Software Applications are obsolete "1970's" and not integrated with each other; Corporate has no desire, budget or plan to fix any problems. iPhones in store are constantly broken and too slow due to lack of network bandwidth and obsolete slow corporate applications!

d) Corporate has No real vision to compete in eCommerce with Amazon, Wayfair and others -- just an ineffective slogan "Lowes of the future"

e) on balance -a brilliant credit card strategy: give on to everyone (with highest interest rate) and make money on the interest.

Advice to Senior Management1) Fire yourselves and give your pay as a bonus to the hard working employees below you; Give Bobby Niblok or current CEO an Award for going along with it!

2) Too much useless management is the problem! Store Manangers: you just "brown nose" up and don't fix problems or create new business or generate new revenue opportunities.

3) Management does not teach how to sell cause they themselves don't know how; it is all left to local supply and demand...

4) Lowes will soon go the way of Sears -- which was once the #1 Retailer... (Short this stock or buy the PUT Options long term)

Great company. If you want to move up in this company, they provide the tools.

Appliance Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat company to work for with great benefits.

ConsThe schedule is not that great, but it's expected in retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should bring back department bonus program. It's unfair to have a department making all the numbers and working hard and never getting a bonus, due to other departments not doing their part.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Complex

Installed Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThe pay is good and there are a lot of different positions available. Just like all companies every store is going to give you a different experience.

ConsIt's hard to get promoted past a department manager. There is a lot of disconnect between the associates and upper management. The customers that shop at Lowe's can be out of control sometimes and managers will allow them to treat you poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to roll out programs that are not well thought out or are too complicated, stores will not follow them and they will be dropped in a few months. Don't change policies because you have an angry customer because then all customers know you are just a bunch of push overs that will give them a free kitchen if they yell loud enough. Give lower level associates a chance to show their skills because most of them could do a better job than the ASMs who got promoted when it was a lot easier to get promoted in the company, those ASMs are usually lazy and don't care about furthering their education for the company.

hard manual labor

Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clarita, CA (US)

Prosok benefits which will kick in after couple months of working there. if you are a manager there, your responsibilities are relatively lighter compared to other cooperate stores, and pay + benefits are great. they are pretty flexible when it comes to working hours.

Consdifficult to move up, unless a manager quits/retires/ or is fired. which doesn't happen often. working as a starting employee is difficult, as expected, but still harder than other cooperate stores. especially as a guy, all the heavy lifting are on the new guy's shoulder vs. females who usually are put on lighter work locations in the store. benefits are miserable or none at all as a starting employee and the pay is minimum wage.

Advice to Senior Managementonce you are manager, you can stay as long as you want, unless you mess up. so don't mess up!

Easy Going Job, Bad Management

Customer Service Associate II (Current Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsStarting pay higher than most. The job itself is not bad. You are free to take breaks and lunches at your convenience. Technology improvements are making work experience easier. Customers are usually very kind and easy to get along with.

ConsManagement. Most managers lack a college degree and use their inflated egos to manage. For every good manager there seems to be 3 bad ones. Don't expect Lowes to work much with your schedule. If they do, they make it known it's a major inconvenience to them. Lack of trust between management and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to realize there is a work-life balance and needs to treat employees a little less condescending. Stop acting like minor problems are the end of the world.

CSA

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay
    Helpful human resources.
    Weekends off.
    Bonuses.
    Company parties

Cons-Little hours.

-The women employees get hit on

-Politics within employees. Catty cashiers.

-Not enough training. (They show you videos on safety and you're supposed to keep up with training everyday but somehow you're not allowed to complete; there's always a reason you can't take the courses)

-You don't get any benefits unless your full time. It's hard to become full time.

-Forms of sexism within departments: Certain managers kept putting me at windows and decor when I was better in the paint, plumbing or electrical department. Not even the manager of that department wanted to be there so i was always there substitute whenever anyone didn't show up.

-Make sure you like what you do or else it can get boring very quickly

This is a retail job

Department Manager (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA (US)

ProsThe benefits are the best thing the company has to offer. The company is also stable and you will probably never get a lay off notice.

ConsYou may not get the chance to move up. You probably won't have a very good mentor. The managers are not trained and developed before hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain and develop your people.

Great entry level job, above minimum wage pay

Cashier - Front End (Current Employee) San Dimas, CA (US)

ProsWorks well with schedule if part-timeemployee.
    Benefits offered to part-time in addition to full time. (medical,dental,vision)
    Room to move up within company if one so chooses.

ConsLeadership can be lacking at times
    Long time employees can bring negative attitudes to work
    Technology is far behind other places of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek out leaders with leadership skills and good work ethic to place in management positions.
    Low-Level managers should model what they expect out of those they lead.

The atmosphere and morale of the store heavily relies on management

Cashier - Front End (Current Employee) West Hills, CA (US)

ProsPay is above minimum..$4 for myself. We bonus from time to time. I have received a bones three or four times since I have been there my four years..last time I got $150. This depends if we do well on our secret sop and customer satisfaction surveys. We also have at least two safety barbecues a year. Which means we all get free lunch.

ConsYou work with many personalities as with any job and also have to deal with the many moods of the customers. You are expected to go above and beyond no matter what. Even if you are berated and insulted you must not crack your facade or you will be reprimanded.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe decisions you make in hiring are sometimes questionable and can break the morale of the current team.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!