Lowe's Reviews

4,073 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,535 Ratings

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy (in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve (in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Clam and laid back.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier  in  Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had to take this on as a second job to help pay my bills. Even though Lowe's originally told me open ability is required they have done an outstanding job of working with my scheduling needs. I started out as a seasonal cashier and after a few months was given a permanent part time position. The pay is competitive with the job demands and when comparing to alike companies. Along with your regular pay rate when your store reaches it quarter goals everyone from part-time up receives a decent bonus( $125.00 is an amazing bonus for a part-timer). There are also other bonus given out to all employees part time and up but I am not sure what they are exactly. 10% and a special rate on soda. 401k open to all employee at part-time status or higher and special discount thru the my lowes website for other companys. Also employee receive free flu shots and yearly health check ups.
    Employees can start gaining vacation time once they have been at least part time status for six months. Also part time employees can gain access to basic health insurance. Part-time employees as get paid holiday which you can use as an additional day off or Lowes will cash them out and give to you as a bonus for your last check of the year for lowes (which is oddly the first week of February). Vacation time and holiday benefit hours do not roll over to the next year. Free food at store meetings and for holidays. You will always be off on Christmas and thanksgiving because all stores are closed (but you still get holiday benefit hours) Even though stores do not close for weather related issues (such as snow) the management is understanding to you calling out.. Also full time employees get superior health insurance and sick pay hours (which do role over). Full time hourly employee hour's are locked in at 39 a week (they can not be given less). There are always advancement opportunities for hourly employees. . Also I have never been dressed so comfortably while working. The employee dress code permits jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes to be worn. Which may not be big to some but when your in the middle of a 15 hour work day between your two jobs it is a nice bonus. Job demands are not hard to meet.

Despite the butch image that goes with Lowe's it is very supportive of diversity. Race, gender, religion, sexuality, gender status, age, and disability status are protect by the companies policy. Not only that but it shown by the divers employed work force at Lowe's that diversity is a core value for Lowe's. It is even a core value among employees. My sexuality has never been an issue at Lowe's even though I live in a conservative, red, southern state. Also my pride entire is permit to be worn at work. Employees are laid back and great to work with. Management is almost always understanding and supportive. And lastly this is the one retail job that you are not to stop thefts (just look out for them though and report activity to store management).

Cons

While I love working with Lowe's there are a few draw backs. The customers are very rude even for a customer service job. Customers will try to act like they know more than you even though they have never worked with Lowe's and you are a seasoned employee. They will also expect you to know everything even though you could be a cashier at the garden check out and the question is an advance question that has to do with lumber. Also theft is something you can't stop. Even if you see someone steal you can't take action (just report it). At the customer service desk you must take back almost everything unless it known that the customer stole it ,or if the iteam is well beyond 90 days, or if it is a half used can of something, or ti his a high price item . Everything else it you must return. Some stores don't have full time cashiers. So unless you move to another department or to head cashier post you can not get more then whatever cap the store has set for part-employees (which will chance based on the season). Depending on the store during non-busy seasons the store is minimally staff almost to the point there is hardly an employees in the store. This can lead to employees that work the floor having to cover a few departments alone. This makes it hard for a customer to get help form someone how can actually help them. Advancement past department manager (which is an hourly position) is beyond hard. 10% discount is a little low and hardly takes off anything other than tax.

Increase employee discount rate to at least 25%. Also ensure store staffing levels are to where a customer doesn't have to struggle to find an employee no matter what time of year it is.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH LOWE'S IS ALWAYS CHANGING AND FULL FILLING.

Current Employee - Csa-weekend Sales Floor  in  Concord, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Csa-weekend Sales Floor in Concord, NC (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best things about working for Lowe's is that your always facing new challenges everyday, your co workers are always very helpful, and you also get to learn new skills and helpful tips for life.

Cons

The cons of working for Lowe's to me are dealing with some of the outrages attitudes from the customers and the complete dis reguard you can sometimes get from the upper management and corporate office.

Some advice that I would give to the management teams for Lowe's is that you need to stick behind the employees a little bit more often.

Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

your co-workers and supervisors are friendly and there to help and work with you

Cons

They need more hands-on training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

The job pays the bills. Good people.

Cons

High turnover, and tough work demands.

Review

Current Employee - Credit and Special Order Sales Coordinator  in  Republic, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Credit and Special Order Sales Coordinator in Republic, MO (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

great pay, wide variety of benefits

Cons

There really aren't any I can think of

Keep up the good work.

You get what you put in

I have been working at Lowe's full-time

Pros

Flexible
    Decent Pay
    Good Atmosphere
    Able to take off when needed
    Learn lots about how to fix up house

Cons

No real advancement
    No good benefits for part timers
    No holidays other than Thanksgiving and Christmas
    Favoritism in promotions

Management at all the stores I've worked for seems to be less empathetic and nonobjective in matters and promotions.

Feels like you're in a family...good and bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Vernal, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vernal, UT (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, tons of opportunity to advance, and management has your back.

Cons

Management almost never hires the right person for the job, lots of drama, you'll feel like your back in middle school almost everyday.

Everything is not always as it seems. Always get the whole story.

The absolute BEST part-time job I could have

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Frisco, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Frisco, TX (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers, Hours, Benefits, Location, Work/Life Balance

Cons

Certain Assistant Store Managers do not support employees who work past their scheduled time to get off in order to complete task that need to be done store wide and/or feel voids from call-outs and no-shows.

If someone wants to genuinely work and help their co-workers when the need arises, don't accuse them of wandering around and riding the clock just because someone in the past has done it. We are individuals...Everybody is not the same.

gratifying

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Billings, MT (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Billings, MT (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

willing to work with me

Cons

Relying on the commitment of others

Don't be afraid to follow through with your decisions.

Great!

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Tacoma, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Tacoma, WA (US)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company takes care of their employees, and love the customer service aspect!

Cons

To me there wasn't any cons other then commuting to work

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!