Lowe's

3.3 3,772 reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

(1,411 ratings)

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy (in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve (in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights
3,772 Employee Reviews

Working at Lowe's

Various (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA (US)

ProsLowe's is a stable retail company to work for. They offer promotional opportunities for sales oriented, hard working associates that can work in a team environment, display good customer service stills and good time and attentance. They have good benefits for part time and full time associates.

ConsAs with most retail establishments you are ususally required to work various shifts which make it hard on your family time. Although they do offer benefits for associates they are not as good as could be. Insurance for part time associates is hardly working taking and the insurance for full time associates is getting worse each year. Their mentoring and training programs for internal associates really need to be given more attention. This would improve the quality of staff by making them ready for the next step in their career with Lowe's thus improving moral - which in turn promotes better customer service and thus helping ensure a solid bottom line for the company! The pay rate needs a little attention and this would improve tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have visited your corporate facilities and if you trimmed some of the fat there and utilized those funds at the store level your bottom line would increase drastically. The pay for store associates should not have such a low cap on it. You are seriouly hurting those associates with longevitiy some people make great cashiers, or hourly associates and that is what they will be good at their entire life. You will save on the bottom line by not having to rehire and retain so often. (Look at the Costco some of their cashiers make more than $20/hr). The stores need to be updated in many regards. The stores don't even have updated computers, training facilities or lunch rooms. REALLY, the associates have to sit on broken chairs to work, train and eat! Where as the corporate office is over done with such! Has anyone from corporate looked at the speciality sales desks or chairs recently... Improve the image at the store level for ALL ! Customers should never be expected to sit in such old chairs, at old desks and talked into spending thousands of dollars - this should be your next big drive and I really believe your pockets would be fuller! OH YES and most important, TRAIN AND PROMOTE FROM WITHIN... if you can't find someone trainable and promable from within, your management team is not doing their job! Not everyone is promotable, but once again look at Costco, not Home Depot! As you know this would improve employee moral, thus providing better customer service and increasing the bottom line... SOUND FAMILIAR!

I have worked for two years in Landscape, building maintenanceL, deck and gardening design.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mount Airy, NC (US)

ProsLowes has it all! You do not need to go looking around, here and there, come in to our store often we have what you need for your fix it job. Stop here! We will become your personal building and repair convenient store. If man build it, the supplies and parts you need to accommodate your needs, skills and talents Lowes building center has it all!

ConsBeing a leader in their field Lowes policies to update all its new employees with the new and recent technologies will enable them to locate the item you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp customers load and unload heavy merchandise being purchased or returned.

a decent place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seaford, DE (US)

Pros1) Very flexible with schedule. let me take a 2 month personal leave and work around school
    2) Helpful coworkers and friendly management (for the most part)
    3) Ability to advance fairly easily
    4) Forces you to learn lots of useful things about plants, building materials, etc

Overall good. Just not the job for me.

Cons1) Many people were being paid MUCH less than me despite their product knowledge and relevant experience. It seems that having a bachelors degree gives you a few extra bucks. I admitted to no product knowledge and no retail experience during the interview.
    2) Policies often change and no one is notified. I've had department managers yell at me for something that I am allowed to do. I have to get management or installed sales to correct them.
    3) ASMs KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE COMPUTERS. As a part time employee, I have showed them how to do an installed sale (they tried to do it through genesis), order products, price audit, etc.
    4) No training.
    5) Harassment from racist and misogynistic customers more than any other job I've had
    6) High turnover rate for ASMs and GMs but not so much for regular employees
    7) Randomly cuts hours or lays seasonal and part time people off because they can't make payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn how to do simple things like work the cash if you want me to respect you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

Commercial Sales Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosgood management excellent pay

Consno cons in pro services

Advice to Senior Managementhave a department manager in pro

Customer service

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Carrollwood, FL (US)

ProsVery professional company. Organized and team focused

ConsGoing to have to work weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Doing a great job

Dedicated

ProsVacation, holiday and sick pay. a known corporate rotation. Potential to move up in the company with a lot of hard work.

ConsNeed to know someone and be a favorite to move up in the company

Advice to Senior Managementremember you once held the lower positions too

Experience of a lifetime

ASM (Current Employee) Sanford, NC (US)

ProsWork with amazing people, great customer interactions..

ConsManagers are salary and work Minimum of 50 hours per week, But typically its more between 60-70, with no comp time..Closing shift goes in at 12pm and sometimes stays until 3-4 am during spring.
    District Manager shows up every couple of months(he only has 11 stores, Not sure what he does with rest of time), but when he does will walk and blow up over the smallest issue. EX:someone forgot to put broom back in closet after sweeping their area, which equals they are not doing anything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back in touch with your employees. Having a phone interview once a tear is very inpersonal and everyone doesn't do it anyway..The CEO has lost touch with the running of the stores.

It's Okay---

Cashier (Current Employee) Arden, NC (US)

ProsGood pay. Schedules are on a better rotation. People whine about it, but it is better than it was 5 years ago. Good benefits.

ConsHR practices are PC but may prevent them from hiring the best person for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack your employees up. Abusive customers exist. Enabling them helps no one and causes the corporation to lose money.

Above average chaos @ Lowe's

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Thibodaux, LA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, above average pay.

ConsToo many chiefs - not enought employees per shift most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLittle coordinated efforts of communication between upper management, so they are contradictory.

I Had A Very Good Experience At Lowe's With No Complaints.

Customer Service Associate II (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsThe management at my store treated me with a lot of respect. I really tried to prove myself to them from the beginning, and once they saw that I did everything that was asked of me, without a problem, they really sat back and let me do my job. Lowe's was my first job, and I was hired at $10.56 to start, which I felt was pretty darn good at the age of eighteen. Also, there is a lot of room for growth within the company.

ConsIt is retail, so you will run into the occasional customer that is a moron, and will treat you like crap, but once you learn how to handle those type of people, the job isn't too bad at all. The only other negative would be having to work the early shift from 5:30 AM to 2:30 PM or working the closing shift until 12:00 AM or later. It can take away a lot of time from family.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more employee benefits at Lowe's. Other than health, dental, vision insurance, paid vacation and 401K, the only employee perk they really have is a 10% discount off of all employee purchases. At least a 20% discount would be nice. 10% is just about enough to cover sales tax.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!