MAT Holdings

Updated 28 January 2015
2.4

Steve W. Wang

THOUGHTS FROM A LONG TERM AND FUTURE EMPLOYEE

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Was reviewing some job postings here on glass door and couldnt help but read the comments for and against MAT.

I usually don't write reviews but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I love working here at MAT, imagine working at an office that is surrounded by beautiful ponds, farms, horses and ducks. Yep thats were I work, except for the parking lot view(unavoidable lol) every window you look out of hints at no sign of a typical industrial park. We are located in beautiful long grove, hidden amongst the many farms and subdivisions that occupy this lovely area. Although I'd love to have an outer office with a great window view, its nice to be able to enjoy the walks around the building in the summer with horses so close you can reach out and pet them anytime.

Well enough of the view, the office itself as some posted may be an older building, it was originally a ducks unlimited headquarters but its solid and has lots of character, to date I've seen no spiders but it wouldnt surprise me if there are a few lurking around in the basement lol. The office was freshly renovated about 6 years ago and not much has changed, of course not a lot can change when its mostly cubicles, I mean what do people expect the taj mahal? Its a place to work not to get a massage and a steak, although that would be nice too!

I think MAT gets a bad rap sometimes because of turn over, well typically the reason most people leave is because they have learned quite a bit at MAT and are ready to move on to bigger and better things. I dont think that its because of managment or the building or the water, its just that for many people its a jumping off point for the rest of their careers.

Many of the current and past employees have had their kids come in to work to intern during the summer months, what a great opportunity for those young ones and a great way to build your job history as a high school or college student.

Benefits are great, yes I wish they didnt cost and arm and a leg, but.....you can always get insurance elsewhere.....obamacare anyone?

401K is awesome, the company contributes a large amount towards your contribuition.

HR is great, very helpful and is growing with the company, they have been implementing new systems as the Company grows in order to make things easier for everyone.

Ahh so much more to write but my fingers are getting tired, I guess that means not to many cons to write.....

Cons

Ok I must admit the water might not be perfectly clear and its more on what we would call the hard side, but like most of the homes and business in Long Grove we have well water, its typical of the area, and although I've used the water for soup and coffee, I usually bring a bottle of water with me cause I'm spoiled. I dont think the water should be a reason to not want to work here lol.

Everyone says salary is low, well I'm just happy to have a job, I've worked my way up at MAT and I feel the salary level is fair, of course we'd all like to make more money. I say if you didnt like the salary they offered then why did you accept the job?

Yes we do close locations(very very rare) but it happens with lots of companies sometimes you have to consolidate and reorganize, you really cant blame them for that. I've been layed off and let go before its just part of life, you suck it up and move on, the company is in business to make a profit sometimes hard decisions have to be made, its life.

Keep up the hard work, keep investing in your company and your employees they are the heart and soul.

Steve Wang is a visionary and to follow him is to boldly go where few have dared to follow.

We are not quite Google or Apple yet but they better watch out!

Congrats MAT on 30 years of business!

Don't believe everything you read, make your own assumptions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent office. Growing business that you can advance in. Great employees. Multi-cultural atmosphere. Vacation time is great for salaried employees. Finally establishing an HR Department that brought in new system that you can see your benefits and everything on-line at any time.

Cons

Salary is at low end of average salary range. Company growing and may need to consider relocating to bigger facility.

Relook at your salary ranges and get away from the bottom of the range and closer to middle - top of the ranges.

Family owned company providing room for professional growth.

Current Employee - Corporate Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is the greatest asset MAT Holdings has to offer. The owner/CEO is very driven to grow his business, and I know this from working with him directly. The president and the CEO value hard work and expect a good work ethic from employees. My worklife balance is great, and a significant improvement from my last job. The president cares about all aspects of the company, and has made improvements in all areas since I started working here.

Cons

My salary is just slightly below average for my position in the Chicagoland area. However, there is an annual bonus program that the president uses to reward those that have the work ethic that he is seeking. The facility is not contemporary, and we are going to outgrow it soon. Benefits offered are not the most competitive, but they are trying to make improvements in this area.

Keep working to modernize the company and improve the benefits offered to attract top talent. I believe the negative reviews are from those that aren't top talent, and we tend to attract these individuals because the majority of the top talent in the Chicagoland area are located in the city or are seeking the more competitive benefits packages offered by other large companies. Sometimes I feel we are burdened by still operating as the small company we started out as not that long ago. We need to catch up with the rapid growth our business has had which has landed us in a new class of companies to compete with for talented employees.

A learning experience

I have been working at MAT Holdings

Pros

Freedom to act and funding to invest.

Cons

Company culture of distrust and micro-managing

Value those that do the real work.

Job Seeker Beware - MAT is an underhanded, poorly led company from the top down.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Glenwillow, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Glenwillow, OH (US)

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even for those starting as temps, there is room for growth given above average aptitude. After starting as a temp, I was quickly hired in and promoted from order puller to flat bed loader. From there I was promoted to assistant supervisor, and then to 2nd shift supervisor. This was all in the space of 2 years. That is the only pro I can describe.

Cons

Corporate leadership is abysmal to say the least. From the top down, there is zero appreciation for work ethic or performance. After taking our warehouse in Glenwillow, OH from bottom of the pack to the number one warehouse in the company for all of 2014, they closed our doors two days before Thanksgiving. We were given approximately six weeks of notice, despite corporate having known of the plans to close for close to a year. Our options at that time were to either accept a pittance in severance right before the holidays, or we could apply to another distribution center within the company. However, there was no guarantee of a job elsewhere, and if you were hired, you had to foot the bill for relocation with no help from the company. As a supervisor, I was making roughly $14,000 less than the median wage for a comparable position within North East Ohio. On November 24, 2014 we locked the doors for the last time, 2 days before Thanksgiving. Without so much as a thank you for our efforts in making Glenwillow the number one warehouse, the few of us left were left with an alkaline taste in our mouth. Corporate truly treated us as garbage.

Learn how to deal with people.
    Realize that the little people who you employ make your bloated salaries for you.
    Have some compassion and understanding.
    Come down from your ivory towers and be grateful for those you rely on to pad your wallets.
    Pay people what they're worth.
    Learn to communicate, and listen to what those in the trenches advise, since those at the top have no clue how a warehouse operates.

A toturous place to wirk

Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I see is that the economy is picking up and I can start looking to get out.

Cons

The environment is the most depressing, mismanaged place you can imagine. Believe all of the negative reviews, they are completely accurate. The place is a revolving door of people, several people have left within days of starting. The offices are old and dirty. Upper management are clones of each other, all nasty mean, disrespectful, rude human beings. The sales people are bumbling dopes and HR department is a joke.

Not worth my time to comment in this section.

Titanic

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot truly find any pros to working at this company.

Cons

Terrible Culture and Senior Management does not tell truth to employees, each other and customers.

Be Honest

Its a place

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only thing is that you gain some experience.
    Company is growing
    Lots of Chinese people

Cons

0 work life balance
    if you are coming from a big company- dont even consider it
    no perks
    old dirty office with spiders
    people are here until 11 pm at night working
    some managers makes you come in on Saturdays
    There is no snow day- You will get written up if you dont show up because of a snow day even when there is a driving ban.

Stop being so greedy and do something good for employees
    offer summer hours, and option to work from home
    Treat employees as humans not as animals

Stay Away!!! Worst Company EVER!!!

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am racking my brains and I cannot think of one. Oh, the property surrounding the building is beautiful.

Cons

I've been here for a couple months and wish I had learned of Glassdoor before taking this job! Whatever you do, if you have a job, DO NOT LEAVE it for a job at this company. Even if you don't have a job, it's not worth it. Keep looking. Pass this company up. I've got my recruiter already looking for me and cannot wait to give my notice to get the heck out of this hell-hole. Everything written here from way back when to recent reviews is pretty spot on. I do not feel I can contribute anything different or new from what others have already said.

Get rid of your executives and Get rid of your HR department. All are USELESS and backstabbers and do not care who they step on to get ahead in their own careers.

MAT Holdings Photos

View looking out from the front entrance
Managers Office (they are usually shared)

+ Add Photo