MAT Holdings Reviews

Updated 24 March 2014
Updated 24 March 2014

2.3

Steve W. Wang

A Real Job, if that is what you really want.

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working at MAT is the comradeship that results from working with others to get something done that you couldn't possibly do alone. This is actually the key beauty of distribution operations on a whole, but some don't see it that way.

My coworkers, like myself, are faced with objectives, and challenges that stand in the way of those objectives. Accomplishment of our goals requires strength in both body and mind. The only people who don't make any mistakes don't do any work--and, btw, it's not a mistake until it leaves the building. These are the values that I know.

My superiors are open to feedback. Raised voices are less than a rare occurrence. Firings sometimes have taken too long to happen, but by the same token I'm not always right and the decisions have so far always had a positive impact on our operations. It is good that nobody is fired at the drop of a hat.

To my knowledge, the pay at our facility matches the local market rates for each job category. Health insurance is said to be good. I have not been called on to use it.

Vacation and personal time are ample. Many end up with some left over. These are lost, but only by personal choice.

Cons

There are no dancing girls.

Communication is key. Leadership team meetings at the DC level are very important, as are other group level communications with the DC Workforce. Ops managers should be both empowered to fully employ their own budges and to conference on their strategies and decisions with one another, so as to learn or adopt new tactics.

business analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

stable, good work-life balance, no challenging, flexible schedule

Cons

compensation is lower than average in industry
    not for ambitious young people

The sorriest company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jackson, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place

Cons

Management wants to run things by people being scared of him. Then when he makes a bad decision it is someone elses fault

The Jackson plant needs change and it needs to start at the director level and work it's way down. The company has no ethics at all.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior management has no respect for employees

Current Employee - Manager  in  Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some nice people to work with. Nice location if you like a rural setting.

Cons

Managers take credit for the good ideas that employees have and blame the employee if the manager makes a mistake. Senior management only looks at costs and never the consequences of a decision. Management style is to scream and curse when anything is wrong. The stress level is always very high.

Listen to your staff and don't believe the lies from your managers.

DO NOT work for this company!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Long Grove, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL (US)

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice kitchen. Nice co-workers; people just like you that hate their job!

Cons

Everything!! I read reviews on this company before I accepted the job offer. There was only 2 reviews at the time- both bad, but I kept a positive outlook. You're better off staying unemployed than taking a job at this company. Even if you're desperate. I've always had nothing but great performance reviews at every other job I've worked at and they fired me because of my "performance." What a joke. Funny how business gets slow and they start firing people for their "performance"... Now I have this big, embarrassing 7 month job on my resume that I have to explain every time I interview somewhere. Reading other reviews, I see that happened to several other people as well. This company is unlike any other I've ever seen. Its like they're in the twilight zone.

HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE place to work!!!

Current Employee - Will Notdisclose  in  Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Will Notdisclose in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

The only pro that I can list is that I received a paycheck, albeit small. The office is located on a horse farm so if you like horses, you can look at them. Nice bathroom and a large lunchroom to eat your made at home. Free coffee.

Cons

The cons of working at this place are numerous. Upper management are a bunch of illogical hot heads with hot tempers with no sense of how a company should be properly run. They care more about making the President rich and I am sure themselves rich than the people doing real work. The infrastructure is a joke, the distribution centers are dirty and run down, the offices are like taking a step back to the 1970's!

Unless they start to genuinely care about people and learn how to properly operate an organization, it will continue to be the pit of a place to work.

A fast-growing company with expanding business includes Automotive Brake Systems, Outdoor Equipment, Air-compressor,etc

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MAT is expanding fast in mutiple fields, so having lots of room for graduates to grow with.

Cons

The compensation/Benefits just meet the standard level even slightly lower than the industry.

If employed stay away!

I have been working at MAT Holdings

Pros

Company offers a good insurance and 401K package. Depending on the department you work for, you can gain some meaningful experience.

Cons

A lot of negative talk about the company which causes morale to be low. Extremely frugal in the way they operate and treat employees. The communication between departments is non-existent. The company is ran through one individual who makes all the decisions, which causes a ton of issues.

Until that "one individual" leaves, no advice will help management.

Beyond Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Grove, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL (US)

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing that came out of this job is that it made me appreciate my previous jobs and the amazing people that I have had the chance to work with.

Cons

I had a bad feeling going into this job, but for some reason I still went for it. Huge mistake. Believe me when I say, PLEASE listen to the reviews posted here. I truly wish that I had listened instead of thinking it was just one disgruntled employee that decided to write a review. This was the worst job I have ever had. I think about the scenarios that occurred throughout a regular day and I cannot even believe that I actually worked in this environment. It was extremely degrading, depressing, and overall terrible. Not only did they not care at all about any type of life you thought you had outside of this place, but they were extremely unprofessional. People would unnecessarily yell at each other throughout the day...every day. Being treated with respect should not be an option in a workplace. Everything was unorganized - there was rarely a process for anything and you could not expect any kind of training. Additionally, there was a huge turnover rate and there were so many new people it was rare to find someone who actually knew what they were doing. They started to hire the cheapest people possible and would settle for below average talent. The company didn’t strive for greatness because it would have hindered their profitability. While there, I did not know a single person who wasn’t actively looking for a different job.

Please stay away.

Room for Growth

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

The company is rapidly growing so there is a lot of room to advance.

Cons

Since the company is rapidly growing it can be slightly chaotic.

Worked for MAT Holdings? Contribute to the Community!