MAT Holdings

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014
1.9

Steve W. Wang

Stay Away!!! Worst Company EVER!!!

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am racking my brains and I cannot think of one. Oh, the property surrounding the building is beautiful.

Cons

I've been here for a couple months and wish I had learned of Glassdoor before taking this job! Whatever you do, if you have a job, DO NOT LEAVE it for a job at this company. Even if you don't have a job, it's not worth it. Keep looking. Pass this company up. I've got my recruiter already looking for me and cannot wait to give my notice to get the heck out of this hell-hole. Everything written here from way back when to recent reviews is pretty spot on. I do not feel I can contribute anything different or new from what others have already said.

Get rid of your executives and Get rid of your HR department. All are USELESS and backstabbers and do not care who they step on to get ahead in their own careers.

Terrible, awful place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There isn't any pros that I can think about when talking about this place.

Cons

There is nothing nice about working here. Upper management is horrible. The offices are run down dirty and antiquated. Technology is non-existent. Training is non-existent. Turn over is off the charts. There is no sense of community, people don't feel comfortable talking with human resources since they have no power to make any change.

Read these reviews.

RUN AWAY!!!

Current Employee - Executive in Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

Salary and some of the people are the only good things about this place.

Cons

Very high turnover, very low employee morale, tremendous lack of communication, no leadership, policies and rules apply based on who likes you, nepotism running rampid - as long as your last name is Wang or you are a friend - no qualifications needed! A lot of yelling and swearing at employees. Management tells you one thing then does the opposite - get everything in writing! Very cheap - be prepared to bring your own office supplies. Be prepared to spend over $700.00 a month for your share of medical/dental benefits! Building is falling apart. Water is yellow/brownish and contains lead (they even have a sign in the kitchen over the sink!).

Sell! You are selling off/closing your other divisions/companies slowly, without telling the effected people, sell this one - maybe someone else will buy it and care about the employees!

Worst place EVER!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A pro is hard to even come up with, the place is rancid.

Cons

Absolutely everything from top management to the disgusting offices with the scum pond in front to the lack of H/R support, procedures, training, you name it. Turnover is incredibly high and most people don't even bother being nice to the new folks since it's pretty reasonable to believe they will leave soon.

They don't care to have any advice, they know exactly what is going on and by whom. They don't care about any if the employees, just about amassing more and more businesses.

A Real Job, if that is what you really want.

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at MAT is the comradeship that results from working with others to get something done that you couldn't possibly do alone. This is actually the key beauty of distribution operations on a whole, but some don't see it that way.

My coworkers, like myself, are faced with objectives, and challenges that stand in the way of those objectives. Accomplishment of our goals requires strength in both body and mind. The only people who don't make any mistakes don't do any work--and, btw, it's not a mistake until it leaves the building. These are the values that I know.

My superiors are open to feedback. Raised voices are less than a rare occurrence. Firings sometimes have taken too long to happen, but by the same token I'm not always right and the decisions have so far always had a positive impact on our operations. It is good that nobody is fired at the drop of a hat.

To my knowledge, the pay at our facility matches the local market rates for each job category. Health insurance is said to be good. I have not been called on to use it.

Vacation and personal time are ample. Many end up with some left over. These are lost, but only by personal choice.

Cons

There are no dancing girls.

Communication is key. Leadership team meetings at the DC level are very important, as are other group level communications with the DC Workforce. Ops managers should be both empowered to fully employ their own budges and to conference on their strategies and decisions with one another, so as to learn or adopt new tactics.

business analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Long Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

stable, good work-life balance, no challenging, flexible schedule

Cons

compensation is lower than average in industry
    not for ambitious young people

The sorriest company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place

Cons

Management wants to run things by people being scared of him. Then when he makes a bad decision it is someone elses fault

The Jackson plant needs change and it needs to start at the director level and work it's way down. The company has no ethics at all.

Senior management has no respect for employees

Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with. Nice location if you like a rural setting.

Cons

Managers take credit for the good ideas that employees have and blame the employee if the manager makes a mistake. Senior management only looks at costs and never the consequences of a decision. Management style is to scream and curse when anything is wrong. The stress level is always very high.

Listen to your staff and don't believe the lies from your managers.

DO NOT work for this company!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL (US)

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice kitchen. Nice co-workers; people just like you that hate their job!

Cons

Everything!! I read reviews on this company before I accepted the job offer. There was only 2 reviews at the time- both bad, but I kept a positive outlook. You're better off staying unemployed than taking a job at this company. Even if you're desperate. I've always had nothing but great performance reviews at every other job I've worked at and they fired me because of my "performance." What a joke. Funny how business gets slow and they start firing people for their "performance"... Now I have this big, embarrassing 7 month job on my resume that I have to explain every time I interview somewhere. Reading other reviews, I see that happened to several other people as well. This company is unlike any other I've ever seen. Its like they're in the twilight zone.

A fast-growing company with expanding business includes Automotive Brake Systems, Outdoor Equipment, Air-compressor,etc

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MAT is expanding fast in mutiple fields, so having lots of room for graduates to grow with.

Cons

The compensation/Benefits just meet the standard level even slightly lower than the industry.