MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 31 January 2015
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work for

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall great benefits. Work life balance

Cons

The commute for me is too far, approximately 1 hr drive each way.

Great mission, challenging environment to get thongs accomplished

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone knows the mission and is committed to it

Cons

Everyone has there own agenda that may or may not align with yours

More focus on the details is needed everywhere

Rudderless, politically charged executive leadeship

Current Employee - Executive Management in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Management in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you make it to the executive leadership level, there are very few checks and balances. Many opportunities to benefit personally from the institution given siz and lack of transparency.

Cons

Highly political. Loyalty rewarded rather than ability. Ethics are a punchline rather than a quality for executives.

Don't let anyone from UT System or the Board of Regents investigate. What appears in the Cancer Letter or the Houston Chronicle is only the tip of the iceberg at MD Anderson.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people really working towards a main goal of curing cancer. Many benefits for employees. Great working environment, campus and facilities.

Cons

Very challenging to get promoted within my department. Lateral promotions and transfers are easier to obtain. Parking in the TMC is expensive. HR and IT need restructuring.

Retaining talent is key to improve growth of any company.

Its all who you KNOW that makes you a success here, not how much you know.

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

working for the state I guess.

Cons

Its ALL who you know. If your connected to the right higher ups, then your sure to get great pay, pay raises and slack. You can also get a great deal after you retire. For example, before you retire, set up a scam for a part time job that pays pretty close to what your currently being paid. Knock it down a little. For example lets say you make approximately $120,000 / yr. Knock you part time pay to around $83,000 - $99,000 with your connected higher ups. After you retire, wait 6 months and your previously discussed part time position will magically appear and be posted for you to slip your new application in. Why does everyone in the scam wait until six months past? Well its because they will not pay out medical insurance on a part time employee. But why would a retired person not want medical insurance? If you retire from MD Anderson, you get paid medical insurance after retirement. So, you wouldn't need it. This crap is very very common. Maybe not all of MD Anderson, but maybe a place off on its own little island.

Be fair. Work. Stop sitting around and collecting government benefits and high, ridiculous, undeserved pay that the working class is paying for and institutions like NIH is funding millions to.

Ok,lots of opportunities when "red tape" is avoided.

Current Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Services Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Services Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, great group of people, ok benefits

Cons

Lots of politics,lots of deductions from check, pay for own parking

Neutral

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

The benefits are outstanding, the employees are nice, the environment is relaxed.

Cons

Managers in some departments are aware of policies and procedures. It's extremely difficult to move up within MD Anderson unless you know someone or highly qualified.

Bad management

Former Employee - Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great colleagues

Cons

Management was not cognoscente of the needs of the employees.

Good experience low pay.

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The experienced and knowledge that you acquire are top notch. Insurance is very good.

Cons

Very low pay. Management makes you jump through hoops to give you pennies. They feel that you being employed by MD is good enough. In order to make more money you would have to leave then come back, which is ridiculous. The only reason most people stay is because they are up in age and are in their comfort zone and have been there over 15 yrs. Diagnostic Imaging has a huge turnover. The technologist are getting tired of all the BS.

The prestige of working at MD is not the only thing people need in life, they need good salaries.

The Pro's and Con's of Being Big

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

As each of us in one way or another who know or has known someone with cancer, we as employees are here because we do believe in our mission - to eliminate cancer. For non-patient care staff, the work / life balance provides a variety of options. Due to the size of MD Anderson, one can transfer into a different field without leaving the hospital.

Cons

On the reverse side of the 'size' coin, MD Anderson's growth has buildings and staff away from the patient care areas. Working in or near patient care areas, you are reminded as to the reason you work at MD Anderson.

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos