MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

In pt pharmacy

Pharmacy Tech Inpatient (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPto, ot, whatever shift depends on how strict they are. Get in good with charges

ConsSome don't like to do their jobs

Great place to learn from the best in the industry

Laboratory (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsWork-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds.

ConsManagement but only in certain departments

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the management I worked under, listen to your employees and be involved in their workflow to see what they do.

Great place to work and learn the stuff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers to work with them were very nice

Consthe salary was a little bit below the average market.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overall good

Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosnice working environment, great work life balance

Consbeuraucracy, takes forever to get something easy done

Advice to Senior Managementshould provide free parking to your employee...

High School Senior Intern

High School Intern (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosit suckedddddddd
    the administrators treat you like you're a kid

Conseverything it was just terrible

Relaxed environment, but poor communication.

Web Development Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsRelaxed environment, great coworkers, and a general movement toward updated technologies. Great benefits for full-time employees. Job security. My manager is awesome, very understanding and accommodating of a good work/life balance.

ConsStill very outdated in many areas, poor opportunities for full-time employment or advancement, low salary range for full-time employees. Poor communication between departments and managers, very bureaucratic inner workings. Difficult change management system.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould improve communication standards across departments and between managers.

A place ideal for those who are interested in academic career

Postdoctoral (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsHere you can work with smart researchers/scholars/clinicians, who may come from different countries and devote their lives in cancer-related researches. Meetings/symposium are held quite often, revealing new treatments/discovery. Academic atmosphere is very strong.

ConsSalary is limited by funding and mostly lower than expected. Also you can not stay in this position too long because it has a limit of years. Long work hours may be required, but it also depends on labs.

Excellent mission; challenging workload

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEvery day a person who works at MD Anderson Cancer Center wakes up knowing they are going to work for a mission that matters. It is not about profit. It is all about curing cancer. Working in IT, I am not involved in direct patient care yet the leaders are careful to be sure we all have line of sight on how we contribute to the mission.

ConsThe last two years have been a challenge with all the leadership changes and lack of staffing. Many of us are doing two and three jobs. The stress level is high and uncertainty is making it worse. We hear that this is the "new normal" but we cannot keep up the pace. Many are getting sick and quitting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously back-fill the positions. IT and other organizations are exhausted. Either trim down the projects or staff the ones being funded properly. We are staff for normal operations, not huge projects too.

M.D. Anderson offers many benefits.

Senior Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey have a great mentoring program, lots of opportunities for developing leadership skills, and the benefits are very good for an educational/non-profit organization.

ConsThere is a lot of red-tape in getting things done partially because there are extra rules as part of state government/University of Texas, vertical career moves can be difficult unless you are willing to apply to positions in other departments (straight promotions are rare)

ok

Research Data Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsVery strong culture and mission. Staff are motivated and involved in their work

ConsSome micromanaging and the quality of mangers varies by department

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!