MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

Great benefits, always busy

ProsLot of opportunities to get better

ConsBusy day, maybe little pressure

Advice to Senior Management1 more week vacation

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A great place to work

Physician (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPeople stay here forever. It's a happy hospital. You work with people who are the top in their field almost all the time.

ConsIt is concerned with maintaining it's position as #1 cancer center in America. There is some beaurocracy with that. Health insurance policy is only ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn extra week of vacation, please!

Overall great employees to work with, great benefits

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsWork with some great and diverse people, the new facilities are nice, commitment to those wanting to further their education

Consfood quality depends on where you are on campus, it's a crap shoot in terms of management within the various departments. Some are great some suck.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analyst

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCompany provide the career opportunity for us.
    Good retirement benefits.

ConsMany departments have their small IT team.

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 4 years

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsAs a research appointment, there is a strong motivation being housed in the hospital with exposure to patients and their families. The core facilities (sequencing, histology, vet med) are all top notch. The compliance and grant offices are responsive to questions and willing to help.

ConsDepartmental support is variable. Adequate external funding is a must for continued work. Neither of these are isolated to MDACC, but both do occur here.

Dynamic, fast-paced environment that places its top priority on patient care and patient services.

Research Assistant II (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits are probably the best in the Texas Medical Center, and the hours are usually properly structured and managed.

ConsThe opportunities for raises and/or advancement are very strictly structured and follow very specific guidelines, so while it's not impossible to move up and/or branch out, it takes a very long time.

It is very difficult to branch out into/learn about any area which does not EXACTLY match your specific job's description.

Overall a great experience.

ProsI've gained a tremendous amount of experience and met some great people. The core values and the attitude of most of the employees is a huge plus. The flex schedules are also helpful. Great benefits.

ConsThe politics and resistance to change are ridiculous. The HR department is also not very effective. A lot of ineffective people have been brought in for jobs while qualified people have been turned down on minor technicalities. Also, they do not deal with "problem children" very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding bad behavior and poor performance. Give management more control over who they hire rather than relying on ineffective computer-based "assessments".

Implosion

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsDecent benefits, however they are easily replicated elsewhere.
    Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance

ConsPolitics and image trumps skill and work ethic.
    IT leadership lacks necessary IT skills.
    Vendors do most of the work and mostly they lack the necessary IT skills.
    Raises are below current national levels.
    Significant brain drain.
    Oppressive, indifferent, erratic management style.
    No vision.
    Poor communication.
    The employee is always to blame.
    No technical career path.
    Embarrassingly low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on providing what is necessary now, not what might be the next big thing in 10 years. Treat people with respect. Provide incentive for people to perform. Provide challenging goals and corresponding work efforts. Stop micromanaging. Stop gathering metrics you cannot objectively interpret.

Nice place to work

Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood pay, Great benefits, Great retirement!

ConsCompany has a lot of organization politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management should care more about the everyday workers.

Great place to work

Medical Imaging Tech (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosinnovative environment, very good compensation, benefits, and work-life balance.

ConsToo much politics and bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the bureaucracy, too much red tape. Moral has declined significantly since change in leadership.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!