MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfying

M D (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCompetitive field,good working environment,satisfying medical team,good collaboration

ConsNot well paid,too many hours

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management of the working plan and the working schedule.Better organised,less working hours,more quality work without exhausting time schedules

Love it, but looking to leave...

Department Administrator (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsMDA has excellent salary and benefits; I do believe there is opportunity to grow and it's so large that you can move to different a different department and have a whole new job and experience. People are great, patient care is beyond reproach.

ConsALOT of red tape, ALOT of policies and procedures that totally frustrate the faculty and make the job of dept. manager very difficult. New president and EVP-PIC spend more time on developing "moon shots" and "strategic planning" than actually getting to know the areas and figuring out the real problems. Morale is low and I would jump ship in a second if given the opportunity. Many world-class faculty have left and many top executives. Makes me fearful for what's coming up.

Excellent place to work

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsExcellent critical mass, friendly environment, best benefits

ConsCan't think of one bad thing to say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive experience. I actually enjoy coming to work for the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, good pay,

Consbonuses are based on entire departments, parking is expensive

Histology Career

Clinical Histology Technician (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsAwesome experien, I love to work here because we are kind of like behind the scene people to help the Doctors diagnose the patient conditions or save life. The insurance is so so but the retirement benefit is great.

ConsIt is a lot of work, but I love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understanding toward your employees

Organization

ProsThis company provides great benefits.

ConsThe training is very unorganized. In the research department (Leukemia) people are unwelcoming and unfriendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your orientation and staff.

Excellent Organization

Instructor (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat Management Structure, training and professional development

ConsExcellent company, no problems

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

great for those looking to progress in there career

Staff RN (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosthey will pay for training

Consa lot of there work is still done on paper

Advice to Senior Managementpush the higher ups to update thing like the kronos clock and paper charting

MD Anderson has a friendly environment full of leaders that support their employees 100%

ProsBenefits: Pension, great retirement plans, free medical insurance, school reimbursement, and a set amount of money to use in order to join organizations or go to conferences

Conspatient population can be tolling

It has been a learning experience.

Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsYou get to help people through the some of the hardest times in their life and that is a great feeling. You are exposed to some of the greatest minds in medicine and research. If you pay attention, you can learn a lot about the medical field and how it all works and is run. You are also exposed to different cultures through the people that you work with and the patients that you meet.

ConsThe politics are horrible and there is a strong hesitancy towards change. There are standards rules and regulations but everything is subject to managements discretion in the end. Sometimes that can help but for the most part, I've seen several people treated unfairly because of it. HR is not very helpful. Unless you are in a position that is on the medical side (nurse, mid-level provider, doctor etc.) there really isn't room for growth. Promotion/growth is not based on what qualifications you have but who you really know that gets you places. Salaries aren't that great either. Most people are under paid for the work that they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the work our employees do. Try to implement incentive programs and actively promote your stronger employees. This will not motivate others do work harder and better, but it will improve the over all quality of the departments and hospital as a whole.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!