MITRE

Updated 2 March 2015
3.5

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great (in 16 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great work

Current Employee - Senior Info Systems Eng in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Info Systems Eng in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy, interesting work, working in the national interest. Working with smart, passionate people. Good work life balance. Within the Centers there is the ability to move around.

Cons

Asked to do cutting edge work for industry standard salary and benefits. Doesn't seem like there's much project growth in Bedford, MA. Emphasis seems to be on DC area.

Get out of your offices more and meet the people who make MITRE the great place that it is.

Professional

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Best company to work for

Cons

good benefits good people with strong background.

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Dix, NJ (US)
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Dix, NJ (US)

I worked at MITRE as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

great experience, fun work at Fort Dix, overtime available, good pay for college internship

Cons

No cons at this time

more overtime availability for willing interns.

I have been a MITRE employee for nearly two years.

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great Work/Life Balance
    -Starting pay is great for new grads
    -I can really feel the impact of my work.

Cons

-Sometimes the work is very tedious
    -Most of the work depends on available projects, sometimes the work i do is not what i ideally want, this can get old very quick.

Since i am a relatively new hire and fresh out of college, this piece of advice does not directly apply to me but I've learned from my older coworkers. If you want to keep employees, please compensate accordingly. I've already seen some of my coworkers do exceptional work and by the end of the year they get nothing to show for it. For me, this is not a problem, yet.

Grasping at Straws

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mandate is good and if you find that work it's fun
    Colleagues are smart and interesting
    Local management is good

Cons

Trying to change culture but since top management doesn't change it won't work
    Senior management just doesn't "get it"
    Move to international arena shows mandate and work being done now is not enough to sustain the company

Stop listening exclusively to surveys and get out to real people to find out what's going on
    Leave lower management alone, they're not the problem (mostly)

Mixed bag...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many smart, well-educated employees with an interest in applying their skills to solve difficult and complex problems. The opportunity to work with them with minimal bureaucracy is often the most satisfying parts of the job. Also, numerous opportunities to build or strengthen skills, technical and business, if this is of interest to employees.

Cons

Salaries, as mentioned in many other reviews, are often times lower than industry. How pay and raises are determined across groups and the wider organization is somewhat unclear, although there are efforts underway to apparently address some of these concerns. Likely some tweaks will be made. Will be interesting to see how effective these changes can be.

More attention on personnel management and developing a culture that fosters true innovation and supports employees who are interested in focusing on their work, first and foremost, would benefit almost everyone. Some projects take an awfully long time to get rolling and this slumbering start should really be unacceptable with bells and whistles going off for upper management, if need be, to intervene and provide the necessary support, resources, directions, leadership, etc. required for success. Lots of resources wasted unnecessarily and morale dampened due to managerial neglect.

Place for Retirees to Bank.

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy work, tons of remote telework, all government contracts so the work isn't hard. Decent infrastructure.

Cons

Average age of company is around 50...and I am not kidding. Unless you are 50+ and have a PhD not many people will listen. Just suck it up, take the good pay and telework a lot. No bonuses, confusing business model. If you don't like a project you simply leave it for another....at any time. Not sure how clients feel about that though.

Great place for government-focused research

I worked at MITRE

Pros

MITRE is a great place to do government-focused research (both military and non-military). There are lots of opportunities for internal R&D funding, and in general, workers have a high degree of autonomy. Work-life balance is great.

Cons

MITRE has 2 main flaws. First, the organization is very top heavy and advancing under age 35 can be challenging. Second, MITRE lacks many modern technical skills (e.g., top tier computer scientists) which can make collaborations or team building a challenge.

I am contractor for MITRE through Provitivi Government Services

Current Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Allow flexible time. Relax, semi casual environment.

Cons

As a contractor, there are not possibilities to grow or receive training within the company. The benefits of contractors within MITRE are incredible limited.