MSC Industrial Direct
www.MSCdirect.com Melville, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014
MSC Industrial Direct – Maumee – “Branch/Call Center”

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind

Erik Gershwind

Pros:
  • "Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management does not fail to give themselves annual raises"
    in 5 reviews
  • "I'm in Sales Management and have worked quite a bit with our HR people"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company - needs to update technology

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany great people work here and training is excellent. I've worked here for nearly 10 years and have never been micromanaged. MSC does a lot of good things in the communities it's in, especially in the two headquarters locations. A lot of change is happening now, which can be uncomfortable, but in a big-picture view, the changes being made are needed for the future. We can't grow the way we want to without making changes to our infrastructure.

ConsTechnology is not cutting edge, or even close. Technology that we have, we don't use to its full potential. Hopefully this will change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive with compensation - not just when hiring, but when promoting and retaining. We are losing people after a long stretch of low merit budgets.

Very good company to work for.

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

ProsCulture is very good. Free coffee and tea.

ConsWork can be hard. Very demanding.

Stalemate

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

ProsConsistent hours, benefits, great co-workers

ConsBase pay, commission structure, vending support, advancement opportunities non-existent unless willing to relocate

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter support for company initiatives, listen to the feet on the street!

Why do we keep leaders that are failures?

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI've been working in the Sales organization at MSC for years. I'm happy. I understand the frustrations, but it is part of a career in sales. Despite some of the commission struggles I've always been able to grow financially and in my career at MSC. It is not easy.

ConsI have no issue with most of the company. Recent purging in HR was well overdue, but is a good sign.
I work closely with IT and recently had lunch with a person I work on projects with in IT. That person is always positive and optimistic, but when I asked him how things were he said miserable. Apparently he feels the need to say nothing but positive things because the CIO is on a witch hunt to find anyone who speaks out against him and he makes their lives miserable. As I've seen in other postings, the CIO surrounds himself with Arrow people and "yes" people.
While there are some good people in IT, doing good things, the CIO has a string of failures since he started with the company and seems to be rewarded for them.
With an executive crushing an important department in the company, I'm very concerned. Morale in IT apparently is horrible and there is fear and people being abused. I know the head of the Infrastructure for years and he little more than a bully to his team and suck up to executives.
With leadership like this in IT, we'll continue to over spend and under deliver. I guess the CEO is happy with that sort of performance and building that kind of sweatshop reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover isn't a bad thing. I would bring in some new blood with proven experience in IT. We're not catching up to the competition.

Good stepping stone but no career advancement here

IT Operations (Current Employee)
Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood starting salary, good people, very easy work, free coffee, regular hours
Good company for "starting experience" in whatever field your job is in

Cons- Work is too easy and simple due to red tape and policies - boring work
- Jobs are compartmentalized and you will only learn the materials you directly work with - no chance of expanding knowledge
- 1-2% yearly promotion cap has lead to long time associates doing bare minimum and slacking off since there is no upward mobility to work toward
- Highly segregated feel toward upper management
- HR is feared and open door policy typically gets the complainer fired (unless said complainer is in HR)
- ZERO room for advancement as all new jobs opportunities are filled by consultants - including job backfilling
- Shady policies - many positions are not shared with internal associates and secretly posted on job sites only
- Direct manager determines your company advancement - if they do not actively help you advance you will not
- Very low amount of internal promotions except at manager and above levels - senior management mostly hired externally from other failing companies (Arrow, Computer Associates)
- Projects stall and take much longer than they should - mostly driven by senior management probably busy counting stacks of money

Advice to Senior ManagementCame into the company with tales of grandeur and stories that "working hard will get you seen by management and good people will promoted" - have seen zero of it. The conspiracy theories of people in management hiring friends from old companies are very true.

Excellent

Sales Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPromote from within, open door policy, sales tools abound, ect.

ConsIncremental numbers some years are hard to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorrect the problem.

"A great company that has taken the wrong turn"

Sales (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has strong focus on the "Boss" our customer.

ConsLimited opportunity, many lost national accounts which penalizes the account executives. Becoming perscriptive in management style, and taking away from time in the field to sell.

Proceed at your own risk......

Account Representative (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible schedule
No micromanaging
Work from home

ConsPoor compensation and commission
Zero chance of any advancement
Poor vacation/sick day policy
No communication between management, VP's, corporate, HR, customer service
Zero accountability at every management level

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at the company and employees with rose filled glasses. Can't ship products to the customer in a timely fashion. Customers are fleeing to competitors at a high rate due to poor fill rates and bad customer service. Zero help for the boots in the field. Zero support for outside sales. Get out in the field and LISTEN to the customer.

Has been a good company to work for.

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost associates are friendly and a pleasure to work with.

ConsCareer opportunities and promotions are limited to specific departments.

Lackluster growth opportunity

Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement at the branch level tends to be non micromanaging which is nice. They will work with you as you need flexibility in your schedule if you have family needs. Job training is decent, but very scripted. Wish I could give more pro's, but really can't come up with more.

ConsGrowth opportunities within the company is abysmal at best. They will continually change up job descriptions in order to prevent people from changing job positions within the company. They have recently made changes that are going to end up hurting their customer relationships and how the customer depends on them to help them with their business. Customers will now be going to their competition (Grainger, Fastenal, etc. ) who will provide the services that MSC once did. If you try to look for growth opportunity within the company but it's not available, they tell you that you can become different levels or grades of the job description that you are now, but fail to ever tell you how to become that. They are way too heavy on the outside sales area and need to get back to the fundamentals of listening to the inside sales staff who are the ones who constantly speak with their customer. Worse part of this company is that I have never in all my years been associated with a company that encourages "tattling" on one another. This company needs to start listening to their "workers in the field" rather than the bean counters and lawyers who make up the rules. Management is always talking about the culture of the company and how we should be obeying it, but will turn around and do exactly what they just told you not to do. Pay at the company is okay, but far below what the hard workers should be paid. This is why the people who will work hard will leave the company and they will be stuck with the ones who find the job to be comfortable and be able to get by.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the "peons" in the company. Believe it or not, they are telling you the truth and only really want the best for the company. I worked there for 2 years and during that time watched it slowly deteriorate from a helpful to the customer company to a we just need to save money and work for the shareholders company.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSC Industrial Direct reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind. All 72 reviews are posted anonymously by MSC Industrial Direct employees.