MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • They also don't really value a work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them(in 14 reviews)

Tech

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLarge team of support and MTV as a place to work is absolutely relaxed environment, even though it's such a busy place.

Conshmm...not much. Busy with quite a few difficult people but that's to be expected.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing. It works.

MTV

ProsWell established company.
    Kudos of brand

Consslow to react to changes in the market

Advice to Senior Managementshow more ambition and foreasight

Friendly group of people in a high intensity environment

Freelancer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCreative input is encouraged and accepted. Great people to work with and know. Once you're in there are opportunities to continue freelance work. Opportunities to work with high-profile talent. Everyone works hard but can also take a joke.

ConsMost work is freelance without benefits. Some decisions feel inefficient but are held up in the sake of the company's tradition.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the people and very easy going environment.

ProsFriendly people, good work environment, work-life balance.

ConsVery corporate, department for everything, at times there is no training or guidelines for a project/task.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent you have within the company - people will surprise you if you invest in them.

Fun and creative enviornment

Production Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosgreat place to intern
    great cafeteria food
    fun events for interns
    interns are treated as employees. you learn a lot.

Conshardly any job opportunities here

Smart, creative and innovative culture

Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAmazing company culture with smart game changers. A place for people who love pop culture and think outside of the box. The company truly has a great work life balance.

ConsThe company is notorious for underpaying the employees but it provides a lifestyle and the employees are treated great.

A great learning experience!

Design Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWas given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects

ConsSome days I had nothing to do / was forgotten about

Best employment experience

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe people here are awesome and make the work experience enjoyable. Upper management is very supportive in helping you grow and develop in the field. The culture here is also what you would expect of MTV--very chill and friendly.

ConsCompensation could be better.

Very poor representation of women and minorities in leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsVery very creative environment, very friendly, supportive staff.

ConsCurrently very very male-dominated and -oriented senior leadership team. Almost no women in power whatsoever -- very depressing. Too much overpaid senior management (far too many lame ducks abusing spending accounts while more junior staff can hard get an extra $50), WAY too much middle management/ VP bloat, too much emphasis on the buzzwords and Techcrunch outlook of the day and not a longterm strategy. Too many kids in roles they're way too junior for. Endless red tape. Very little overall focus. Goals and priorities aren't articulated, half the time you don't even know which team you're officially working on. (Not kidding). Successes of teams and wholes aren't celebrated -- only the same few individuals are celebrated.

Intern slave labor

Digital Research Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCool company vision, central location in NYC, varied creative departments and channels within network, occasional celebrity sightings in office

ConsUnpaid internship, unstructured intern training/events, too many students to accommodate for (500 interns/semester), lack of day to day work, difficult to get full time hire after internship

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to mentor interns rather than just give them leftover managerial work to do

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!