MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them(in 14 reviews)

Tech

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLarge team of support and MTV as a place to work is absolutely relaxed environment, even though it's such a busy place.

Conshmm...not much. Busy with quite a few difficult people but that's to be expected.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing. It works.

MTV

ProsWell established company.
    Kudos of brand

Consslow to react to changes in the market

Advice to Senior Managementshow more ambition and foreasight

A great place to get a great start in the entertainment business.

Social Media Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAlmost everyone I've met in the business since leaving MTV Networks, is also a Viacom alum. It's always been such a fun and easy talking point at networking events and in interviews as I've moved along to other networks.

ConsWork-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young. If you're 25 and new to New York, it's great. After that shine starts to wear off you might start to wonder, "Why am I working nights and weekends so often? Are there other things I'd rather be doing?" And when that happens, it's time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to help younger employees avoid burn out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly group of people in a high intensity environment

Freelancer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCreative input is encouraged and accepted. Great people to work with and know. Once you're in there are opportunities to continue freelance work. Opportunities to work with high-profile talent. Everyone works hard but can also take a joke.

ConsMost work is freelance without benefits. Some decisions feel inefficient but are held up in the sake of the company's tradition.

It was fun until the financial crisis hit and downsizing started.

Media Archives (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI worked with very nice people, excellent benefits, plenty of activities, work in up to date stations and buildings

Consworked at a lower level job so it became expendable, hard to move up within the company unless you were related to someone.

Love the people and very easy going environment.

ProsFriendly people, good work environment, work-life balance.

ConsVery corporate, department for everything, at times there is no training or guidelines for a project/task.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent you have within the company - people will surprise you if you invest in them.

Fun and creative enviornment

Production Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosgreat place to intern
    great cafeteria food
    fun events for interns
    interns are treated as employees. you learn a lot.

Conshardly any job opportunities here

Smart, creative and innovative culture

Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAmazing company culture with smart game changers. A place for people who love pop culture and think outside of the box. The company truly has a great work life balance.

ConsThe company is notorious for underpaying the employees but it provides a lifestyle and the employees are treated great.

A great learning experience!

Design Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWas given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects

ConsSome days I had nothing to do / was forgotten about

Very poor representation of women and minorities in leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsVery very creative environment, very friendly, supportive staff.

ConsCurrently very very male-dominated and -oriented senior leadership team. Almost no women in power whatsoever -- very depressing. Too much overpaid senior management (far too many lame ducks abusing spending accounts while more junior staff can hard get an extra $50), WAY too much middle management/ VP bloat, too much emphasis on the buzzwords and Techcrunch outlook of the day and not a longterm strategy. Too many kids in roles they're way too junior for. Endless red tape. Very little overall focus. Goals and priorities aren't articulated, half the time you don't even know which team you're officially working on. (Not kidding). Successes of teams and wholes aren't celebrated -- only the same few individuals are celebrated.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!