Magellan Health Reviews

Updated 20 August 2014
Updated 20 August 2014

3.5

Barry Smith

Pros
  • Work from home opportunties are good (in 15 reviews)

• They encourage work-life balance, caring for each other, and delivering great customer service (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments (in 5 reviews)

• Call center environment, still better then most (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A long time employee who would recommend working at Magellan Health to friends and family.

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have found that Magellan really treats 'work/life' balance with the highest priority. It is an open culture with emphasis on continued learning with ample opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The company has offices all over the country with a large 'work-at-home' population. For some, the lack of face-to-face interaction can be a challenge.

Continue to keep an open information environment so all employees feel a part of Magellan success.

Program Integrity / Special Investigations

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with talented people who know the business.

Cons

Poor morale and getting worse.

Employment Review

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Parsippany, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atmosphere is one of peer sharing.

Cons

Frequent management changes and work reassignments.

Need for career development and provision of challenges to long term employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I Love It!

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate I  in  Maryland Heights, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate I in Maryland Heights, MO (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Been there over 3 months now and I absolutely love it and I'm so thankful to work in such a professional environment.

For the most part 99.999% of the people are pleasant, inviting and friendly and will help you as much as they can.

The benefits are excellent and so many days off with paid holidays and even a few floating holidays for good measure - lol. Other benefits include dental, vision, health and life insurance.

I finally don't have to work nights, weekends nor holidays and next year I will be working at home, keeping all my benefits.

There is a fabulous cafeteria that's sort of like at a major hospital. There is a wonderful staff who helps keep the place clean, that's important to me.

Everything I was told is true. I worked for a few companies where I thought I was earning vacation time or getting a certain salary, only to learn, I was lied to. I have also been in places where it's not too clean or too loud in the work atmosphere, you won't normally find that here.

As a Coordinator we also will get quarterly bonuses.

Last, the company is growing and if you are serious about a career with a job you can retire with, come on board but do your part. If you are a lazy worker, you won't be retained. If you don't like to come to work and like missing a lot of days, you won't make it.

Cons

I honestly haven't had any challenges. I only challenge myself to be as productive because this is an excellent employer who rewards for a job well done.

If you can be diligent in your 90 day probationary period, come to work and pay close attention to your work, you can make it here and have a good career.

Let's keep growing the company because we all benefit and keep finding people who want to help people and prosper professionally.

National Vice President

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great leadership, appreciative and respectful organization

Cons

I can't add anything here.

Great

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Great Managers to work for

Cons

very strict at times depending on your boss

Customer Care Associate

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Job is not difficult, can utilize good benefits, time off is pretty off with paid holidays

Cons

The pay is not attractive at all I started with a temp and when hired permed no bump in pay they stated that "this is what every one starts at temp and direct hires", difficulty getting help for new situations no hands on and one on one training.

OK Place to work depending upon what department, your supervisor or who you know.

Former Employee - N/A  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - N/A in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and PTO. Rene Lerer and now Barry Smith are strong leaders. They encourage work-life balance, caring for each other, and delivering great customer service. Rene started a help plan funded by the employees to help other employees through life's difficulties.

Cons

Poor middle to high management, (Mgr., Director, Sr Director, etc). Most of the management don't know how to supervise people. Weekly meetings aren't held, constructive criticism not given, if you are part of the "favored few" then you are out in the cold. I have seen some management pit their staff against one another, causing conflict and hard feelings. The HR department needs real help. There have been so many turnovers that the employees don't know who anyone is. The staff I've dealt with did nothing to help and I discovered weren't following protocol. They took the managers side no matter what. Not a good thing.

Mid to upper management should have leadership training. Don't encourage your staff to back bite with their peers. A team should be a team.......if something isn't right then the Manager should address it. Don't let it sit a fester until review time or until a time that can cause harm to someone. Staff should never hear a management person say that they will get someone fired. It is demoralizing and unprofessional.

Poor Management - Different Now?

I worked at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. Leadership acts like they care about employee survey results, but nothing changes.

Cons

People are strangely unfriendly. They'll avert their eyes walking down the hallway to avoid saying hello. In 2011-2012, marketing leaders were poor. Maybe it's improved since then. Several of the worst offenders got pushed out.

I hope the new management is an improvement over the past leadership.

A great place to work especially on the wide array of project management changes that can be done.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance. Extra hours tend to be during major project deliverable s. Salary is at par with industry standards

Cons

Sometimes the convenient way becomes the main mantra in meeting project deliverable s. Training in the technology segment would be great. Reliance on contractors to complete project cuts of FTE's from the major deliverable s.

There need to be more advancement for leadership opportunities. Expansion into other health care segments should be inclusive of FTE's who are also Subject Matter Experts on the systems in place.

Worked for Magellan Health? Contribute to the Community!