Makerbot Reviews

2.5

Bre Pettis

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

An exciting and rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Marketing/Sales  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing/Sales in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

MakerBot is an amazing place to learn, contribute and help define a new industry and technology. I have already learned a ton and this place has helped me to take the next step in my career. It is exciting to be a part of a company that is growing very quickly and expanding internationally.

People are empowered to lead and take ownership, and managers trust their teams to drive the strategy and execute on the plan. The environment is fast paced, which keeps things interesting, and highly collaborative. The culture is very team oriented, which was a pleasant surprise when I got here, and the Marketing team in particular is a cohesive and strategic unit. It's great to be surrounded by smart people.

Having been agency-side for most of my career, the opportunity to now own the strategy and implement our vision has been inspiring and empowering. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

Cons

With extreme growth like MakerBot is currently experiencing, there are growing pains as the company continues to transition from a startup to a mature company. And now that MakerBot is owned by Stratasys, there is incredible pressure to drive revenue and accelerate our growth. It's a good challenge to have and the right way to focus growth, but it sometimes influences decisions too heavily and could have long term challenges in order to produce near term results.

Keep hiring great people and take care of them! There has definitely been an influx of talent that is exciting, and it is making a difference in how we are moving forward.

Amazingly positive experience. Far and away the best job I've had in my 20+ year career.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible professional growth opportunities. Employees are allowed to take on as much responsibility as they can handle and are recognized for their accomplishments. Congenial, collaborative work environment that values diversity. A definite sense of shared purpose.

Cons

Typical growing pains associated with extremely rapid growth: integration of hordes of new hires, development and dissemination of formal processes, maintaining a culture that still has the close-knit feel of a start-up, but has the infrastructure of a more mature firm, etc. etc.

Keep going!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've quit better jobs than this!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Makerbot for more than a year

Pros

We get fresh fruit once a week, I think.

It's like a real life Dilbert cartoon.

Lots of opportunity to learn cost down methods.

Cons

DO NOT EXPECT: training, professional development, enrichment, continuing education, career advancement or promotion. As Makerbot sees it "You are lucky to even work for us!" Consider this the red flag.

Retaliation: any attempt to speak up against your manager is considered an offense. Even simple disagreements on technical matters are considered a strike on your record. Regardless if you are right or wrong, HR will be contacted and you will begin the road to termination. (Let's be serious there is no way any hastily hired manager can be wrong in a cutting edge tech industry in Makerbot's opinion!) It is the key reason our engineering department is a husk of itself. And subsequently, why our new products are garbage, citing the Amazon BUYER reviews to back up this claim.

Makerbot time: The irony of an earlier post is that they forgot to fully define the term "Makerbot time". To quote the Simpsons in a true case of life imitating art, makerbot time is the wrong way just faster. Essentially, doing the work in the quarter of the time. Then because you skipped testing or lack understanding you break the whole system the following week. In turn, spending the following two weeks trying to fix your mistake.

Product team: When product management is no longer proud of their developments; the end is near. As of mid-summer there are more product and project "managers" than engineers, which equates to not enough people creating. The team as a whole, can't not set a deadline and stick with it to save their lives. All of this coupled with weak leadership within the group; they are basically doomed.

Marketing team: Marketing basically is nonexistent, no explanation and I don't understand how it's is possible.

HR: The only skill they have is to fire subordinates who do not follow managers' orders. "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" describes this team perfectly. They may have minored in writing fake Glassdoor reviews; judging by the amount of short 5 start posts that lack to describe the "greatest work environment in my 20+ years."

Politics: an autocracy. This is a requirement to play along if you want to remain employed, which forces everyone to silo up around their VP. Don't expect to be promoted unless you "know" a VP or C level.

Coworkers: mostly fresh out of school. Anyone with >3 years out of school is probably wildly incompetent and/or took the position out of desperation. A lot of the previous reviews mention smart people being here, but that's just not true anymore. The product time lines are too aggressive and too complicated for the workforce.

Pay: Expect 60% of market value. MakerBot takes the view that employees are just inputs and can find someone cheaper elsewhere. Open positions often go to the lowest "bidder" in terms of salary; which generates a lot of dead weight coworkers who you will be expected to carry on projects and incompetent managers who simply frustrate whole groups because they are only concerned about "preserving their great jobs in NYC."

No performance reviews: when you negotiate salary, they say you'll be reviewed for a pay increase after your 90 days (or some other BS like that), and it never happens. Expect to take more responsibility with no pay or title increase because both of those instances would prove that an employee has value or that a manger can't handle their workload. There is almost no upward mobility, which extends to both our blue and white collar workers.

90 day rule: you can be fired randomly in the first 3 months with little to no explanation. Management takes its at-will employment clause very seriously.

Culture: Non-existent culture on good days and toxic on bad days. Constant blame game and finger pointing because it's easier to blame another department than yourself. At times it seems like a demilitarized zone when groups conflict and everyone choses sides. Those who do not speak up or point the blame, take the fall for poor products or features. No work life balance. The work place is volatile day to day, never sure when a colleague will out right quit or be fired with out any notification to the rest of the team/ group.

You should only want to work here if:
    1 - You are fresh out of school.
    2 - Your parents work here and hired you.
    3 - You have a sugar daddy/mamma and want to hang out with engineers.
    4 - You are homeless and need place to be during the day.
    5 - You owe people money; a lot of money.

You can't manage what you don't know! Just one engineer in the C-suite, which shows in the problems of our new products (well documented in our product reviews on Amazon and Makerbot operators - Google group). Too many misaligned goals from the buyout. And too much time daydreaming while watching the Steve Jobs movie instead of providing vision and building culture.

Innovative 3D printing company.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, executives are very approachable, and the company fosters new ideas.

Cons

Still going through some growing pains.

Wonderful people, terrible senior management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the most amazing people you will ever work with. I was constantly astounded by the company's ability to find the smartest, most creative and awe-inspiring individuals to work for them. Used to be a great place to work a few years ago, but no longer resembles the promising company it once was.

Cons

Soul-sucking work, terrible senior management who are pushing the company into ruin. CEO acts like a literal child. Company won't hire enough people for the amount of work that they themselves created by release a sub-par product, and as a result. Terribly unorganized. Employees are extremely underpaid, overworked and undervalued. Management seems to think a "rewards" program will bandage it's inability to pay people a liveable wage. Plastic stars don't pay rent.

Senior management- Take your money and LEAVE - you are destroying the company

great up and coming company

I worked at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

While working for Makerbot there was a lot of changes occurring as the company was in the middle of expansion. Through out the whole experience management try their best to keep it's employees happy and communicating the changes as they happen

Cons

Due to it being a relatively new company, it has it's growing pains. Things like change quickly, but it's to be expected.

Too much, too quick

I have been working at Makerbot

Pros

- 3D printing is great to have on the resume.
    - For the most part, enthusiastic and intelligent coworkers.
    - Tons of Replicators to print with.

Cons

I joined MakerBot for the same reasons I'm sure most people started there, to be part of an innovative company on the verge of bringing 3D printing to the masses. It's cool technology and they're not incorrect in saying that it will change the world, but not yet and probably not through us.

In a nutshell, MakerBot lacks the ability to create products that deliver on the expectations they're setting. That's not to say they don't have some talented R&D/engineering folks but the technology as a whole hasn't justified the "MakerBot in every home" agenda that is constantly being pushed. Unfortunately MakerBot has become a revenue-centric company, focused more on selling a buzz word than understanding the end user. The result has been products rushed to the market and, ultimately, a lot of disappointed customers.

This strategy has left a lot of (underpaid) employees run ragged, forced to deliver on unrealistic targets set by leadership. It's a sad state of affairs. If you're joining MakerBot, get your experience and go.

Ask yourself, what problems are our products (currently) solving? Understand how and why are our customers 3D printing and develop a strategy to empower those users. Focus on what 3D printing does today and don't sell based on the technology's potential. Selling to your base may not be as sexy as a "MakerBot in every home" but it will allow the company to focus on products that empower those users and in the end push 3D printing forward.

Underpaid and overworked. Focused on sales and marketing for a product that barely works.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Access to 3D printers.
    Some extremely talented people, but overall, even they are few and far between.
    Some 'clout' for working in high-tech.

Cons

Since MakerBot was acquired by Stratasys in 2013 the company has solely been focused on meeting sales goals. The 'earnout' is all about the people at the top trying to make as much money as possible before Stratasys takes over. They will do anything to sell more sub-par, borderline broken products, just to make more money before they lose control over the company.

The company has seen tremendous growth in the last few years growing to almost 600. But most of those hires are very young, inexperienced, and underpaid. Instead of growing the sales and marketing teams, they should have hired better engineers. The 5th Generation printers barely work....just read the customer reviews on Amazon. Everyone who works at MakerBot knows this. The customer support team is drowning in customer complaints and leadership's response is to make contacting MakerBot and returning printers as difficult as possible.

The company prides itself on being cheap. They expanded offices to an extremely desolate, inconvenient section of Sunset Park. "Building One" is situated between the BQE, Costco, and a street where truckers pickup prostitutes. They moved all of the developers, engineers, and product people to this location, while sales, marketing, business, and leadership stayed in the nice offices in Downtown Brooklyn. The few "leadership" roles who have offices at Building 1 only spend a few days at most down in the new offices.

Most people at MakerBot are extremely unhappy. The reviews here are spot on. The few positive reviews are clearly written by "leadership" and HR. Most people are either looking for work or are hanging on because they are passionate about 3D printing. But even the passionate ones are vocally unhappy.

Consider yourself warned.

Empower your teams to meet mutual goals. Pay people what they deserve. Ask your teams for their input. Don't just bark ridiculous deadlines and accept a mediocre product.

Clueless management and depressed employees

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are great

Cons

I don't know where to start. This company could care less about it's employees or it's customers. Leadership is doing their best to sell products that are not ready for production so that they can get that big check from Stratsys in December. Congratulations, the numbers are great! You only alienated your entire staff and customer base.

Meanwhile, employee salaries are almost criminally low. If they could find a way to lower our salaries, they would do it in a heart beat. They have no interest in long term employment.

None. You've done great for yourselves. Congrats!

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!