Makerbot Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
61 reviews filtered by
2.4
Bre Pettis

Pros
  • 3D printing is an important technology and you get to be part of it all (in 11 reviews)

• 3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to it being a relatively new company, it has it's growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management (in 6 reviews)

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

Advice to Management

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

2. Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to gain experience and develop your skills. Fun to work around 3D printers. You are encouraged to try things and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

The decision making skills of management are questionable. The company is spread out and it is hard to feel like a team at times.

Advice to Management

Centralize the company more instead of having it spread out over several locations. Put your focus on making quality products rather than rushing stuff out the door. Marketing is great, but word spreads fast about a mediocre product these days. Developing a truly good product will essentially market itself. Consumers have never been better informed.

3. Started from the bottom...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I started it was an amazing place to be..As it grew we all saw the direction it was going..ca.2011....it went corporate, some got paid. And we rode it out as far as we could...all hail tech!!!?

Cons

Its not what you know..it's who you know...:(

Advice to Management

It's too late

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Advice to Management

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

Passionate employees, underpaid

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Engineers are passionate about 3D printing and creating a great product
    -Fun work environment (lots of young people)
    -Smartest people I've ever worked with
    -Good work life balance

Cons

-Pay is a joke (especially for engineers, it's far under the national average)
    -Employees keep leaving for better paying jobs
    --ad communication between departments

Advice to Management

Justifying your low wages based on being a startup and having a "cool" culture is not a sustainable practice. The Makerbot name attracts good engineers, and then they leave for better paying jobs. Pay your employees what they deserve so they stay around for more than a year.

One of my favorite places to work.

Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with really great people, which is difficult to find. Coworkers are open and collaborative. Projects vary and are engaging. 3D printing is a pretty cool industry.

Cons

The office location is inconvenient. The facilities could also be nicer – it seems they do the minimum amount necessary to make sure the office is a comfortable environment.

Advice to Management

Invest more into facilities.

Worst place to work for.

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

25 cent machines was cool.

Cons

Everything sucked. Some people were cool. But Upper Management sucked.

Overall a great experience working with talented and dedicated employees

Former Intern - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1) "Never a dull moment" - always exciting to hear about new collaborations

2) "Magic of 3D printing" - working for the leader that's setting the standard in an up-and-coming industry

3) "Valuable work to be done" - under my direct managers I had excellent guidance yet enough freedom to be my own marketer and was always encouraged to formulate new ideas and processes

4) "Talent and dedication is abundant" - being surrounded by co-workers who work tirelessly to find ways to continue improving products and processes

5) "Great experience" - I can walk away saying that I've learned a lot in such a short period of time

6) If I was asked to come back and join the MakerBot team, I would definitely consider it and recommend the company to others.

Cons

No complaints. Understand that 3D printing is still in its infancy and MakerBot is constantly improving their products and processes to be better and more consumer friendly.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to see my internship transfer into a full-time position.

Immature, Disorganized, Lacks Focus

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

During my tenure, there were many great co-workers on the Director and Manager level.

Cons

Does not have the proper infrastructure, tools, and leadership to support a 500+ person company across multiple locations. Communication suffers and accomplishing any project that isn't siloed to one department is a major challenge.

Business decisions are capricious and driven by perverse incentives --- not building great products or setting forth long term business goals and product roadmaps.

Poor development process. Honestly, the most immature development process I've ever encountered at my 10+ years of experience working in NYC tech (from early stage startups to 1000+ employees). There is constant scrambling on every project.

Turnover in departments is staggering. Morale is suffering as a result.

Nepotism is rampant. Leadership needs to stop hiring and promoting friends and family, and make smarter hiring decisions and trusting smart people, not driving them away.

Advice to Management

Admit your limitations. Hire smart and open your wallets to get higher quality candidates in the door. Stop promoting friends and family.

Commit to building and delivering quality products for your customers. Do this and it will be easier to make employees feel proud to work there -- this will inherently fix a lot of the culture and turnover issues. Avoid the "Bread and Circuses" at all cost (Free fruit and star awards) it's embarrassing, shows immaturity and lack of experience for working for or building a great company.

HR should be helpful and beneficial to employees not intimidating/fear mongering. Also, HR needs to be more professional overall, especially when dealing with sensitive and confidential employee information.

Great coworkers in a disorganized environment

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing and the co-workers are great. The employees are all typically very passionate about their work and 3-D printing.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company structure is completely disorganized after a certain merger and has created a rather chaotic environment. The pay is also less than ideal.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what each employee actually accomplishes. It seems to be the trend that the employees that have contributed the most time and effort are often unrewarded.

Makerbot Photos