Makerbot

Updated 18 January 2015
Updated 18 January 2015
2.3

Bre Pettis

Pros
  • 3D printing is an important technology and you get to be part of it all (in 11 reviews)

• 3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to it being a relatively new company, it has it's growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

One of my favorite places to work.

Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with really great people, which is difficult to find. Coworkers are open and collaborative. Projects vary and are engaging. 3D printing is a pretty cool industry.

Cons

The office location is inconvenient. The facilities could also be nicer – it seems they do the minimum amount necessary to make sure the office is a comfortable environment.

Invest more into facilities.

Overall a great experience working with talented and dedicated employees

Former Employee - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1) "Never a dull moment" - always exciting to hear about new collaborations

2) "Magic of 3D printing" - working for the leader that's setting the standard in an up-and-coming industry

3) "Valuable work to be done" - under my direct managers I had excellent guidance yet enough freedom to be my own marketer and was always encouraged to formulate new ideas and processes

4) "Talent and dedication is abundant" - being surrounded by co-workers who work tirelessly to find ways to continue improving products and processes

5) "Great experience" - I can walk away saying that I've learned a lot in such a short period of time

6) If I was asked to come back and join the MakerBot team, I would definitely consider it and recommend the company to others.

Cons

No complaints. Understand that 3D printing is still in its infancy and MakerBot is constantly improving their products and processes to be better and more consumer friendly.

I would have liked to see my internship transfer into a full-time position.

Immature, Disorganized, Lacks Focus

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

During my tenure, there were many great co-workers on the Director and Manager level.

Cons

Does not have the proper infrastructure, tools, and leadership to support a 500+ person company across multiple locations. Communication suffers and accomplishing any project that isn't siloed to one department is a major challenge.

Business decisions are capricious and driven by perverse incentives --- not building great products or setting forth long term business goals and product roadmaps.

Poor development process. Honestly, the most immature development process I've ever encountered at my 10+ years of experience working in NYC tech (from early stage startups to 1000+ employees). There is constant scrambling on every project.

Turnover in departments is staggering. Morale is suffering as a result.

Nepotism is rampant. Leadership needs to stop hiring and promoting friends and family, and make smarter hiring decisions and trusting smart people, not driving them away.

Admit your limitations. Hire smart and open your wallets to get higher quality candidates in the door. Stop promoting friends and family.

Commit to building and delivering quality products for your customers. Do this and it will be easier to make employees feel proud to work there -- this will inherently fix a lot of the culture and turnover issues. Avoid the "Bread and Circuses" at all cost (Free fruit and star awards) it's embarrassing, shows immaturity and lack of experience for working for or building a great company.

HR should be helpful and beneficial to employees not intimidating/fear mongering. Also, HR needs to be more professional overall, especially when dealing with sensitive and confidential employee information.

Great coworkers in a disorganized environment

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing and the co-workers are great. The employees are all typically very passionate about their work and 3-D printing.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company structure is completely disorganized after a certain merger and has created a rather chaotic environment. The pay is also less than ideal.

Pay more attention to what each employee actually accomplishes. It seems to be the trend that the employees that have contributed the most time and effort are often unrewarded.

The talent is leaking out.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health plans are pretty good.
    Work environment is jovial, with a touch of job fatalism.
    Free fruit, but only if you're early.
    Interesting coworkers, until they move on and upwards in their careers.
    3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work!
    Being a part of something that is pretty likely to get at least a side-note in some history book.
    Resources are available for personal development, if you're in the right department or seen as valued.

Future product roadmaps look much less terrible than the current product. But they looked good in 2013, too...

Cons

Some of my Pros have disclaimers.
    HR is seen as scary, manipulative, and more a foe than a friend.
    The "absolutely everyone hates the company" attitude assumed by all non-manager employees. It's toxic, and rapidly assimilates any new employee.
    Pay is below market average pretty much across the board, and leadership has almost flatly stated this is not changing.
    Pep-talks given by the CEO (Jenny Lawton) in which she reaffirms our commitment to a "minimum viable product."
    Really awful Flavia instant coffee.
    Office politics, with a side dish of nepotism.
    Facilities are in "historic" buildings, and undergoing construction.
    Office rules that are both poorly communicated and intrusive to getting work done.
    Having expertise is not seen by managers as a reason to be listened to.
    Impossible to correct, arbitrary project planning decisions.

The 5th generation models were shipped prematurely, and have been consumer-hostile nightmares. Quality is less important than being shippable.

I am deeply dissatisfied with the "leadership." My perception is that their first and foremost priority has been ladder climbing and pocket-lining for the last two years. They were quite successful, at quite the cost to anyone foolish enough to stick around. I honestly don't know what to say other than "please see yourself out." Leadership is of course not going to read this, and unlikely to take on any changes that make them less profit.

See about matching the compensation and amenities of, say, any reasonable non-startup tech company. Stop pretending it's an honor to be an employee, and pay a market rate, or this company will continue to leak what talent it has ever had.

Amazing coworkers, horrible management

Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Talented and smart people, amazing work space, benefits are okay. The greatest aspect of this job is really the relationships you come away with from working there.

Cons

You're expected to work 10 hour days, work most federal holidays and everything is completely disorganized. The money compensation is terrible. Instead of paying people more money when they work hard for years of service they just promote them to new roles with promises of pay raise.

Instead of working employees harder, I would hire more people to spread out the projects. There is now enough money to do that after the merger. I would also consider cutting back works hours to more reasonable times.

Clueless upper management, crushing underpaid passion. !!!RUN AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Made some really good connections with lots of equally frustrated employees.

Teaches you what questions to ask at your next interview, things like.

Is this company run my a bunch of money hungry apes with no understanding of long term growth and the current trends and needs of the people that can truly utilized 3d printing as it currently stands today and where it is going.

Cons

Just about everything. It was an absolutely toxic, passion sucking work environment where employees are put against each other. Sexist remarks are made about future employees being to "Hot" to hire. Other things I don't even feel comfortable talking about because I really just want to let these things be the past...

If you have an innovative Idea forget about it. Your job at makerbot is NOT to think. But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management.

Get a clue. your company is a sinking ship. WHY DO YOU THING EVERY ONE IS QUITTING!

Soul Crushing and Toxic

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned a ton about start up to corporate culture, about high volume work and dealing with truncated and ever-changing timelines. Made amazing connections. Also wouldn't trade all the pain and toxicity for how much I learned about the technology, and what it takes (and doesn't) to produce and support a mainstream tech product.

Cons

Terrible culture of fear, back stabbing and under-the-bus fly bys.
    Management was inconsistent, leaving a hard working population oft directionless, or direction-wrong.
    Lack of responsibility given and taken by management.
    Terrible pay, and little incentive in the way of raises.

Wake up? Look around you? Is your staff happy?
    Are they really as productive as they could be?

Makerbot Photos