Manpower

Manpower Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Manpower Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Joerres

Jeff Joerres

Pros:
  • "Management is very understanding about keeping the work/life balance"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Good benefits and most nice people on branch level"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "total lack of leadership in romania"
    in 5 reviews
  • "I was told the salary range would be the same as my existing, full time, but they were not sure the salary"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great autonomy and work life balance

I have been working at Manpower part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe team I work with are amazing, fantastic skills and a good laugh. The people make the Company great, it would be a challenge for me to find another Company where the people are so focused on each other. I put in long hours when needed but have the flexibility to have a life outside work.

ConsI love working for Manpower, but I do know that some friends have not has a positive experience when looking for work, it does depend on which colleague you speak to as to the service you get (quality varies). Also for the role I do with Manpower my salary is not comparable to the external market (it's lower!)

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on your people not just on the bottom line

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A great company to work for when you put the effort in

I have been working at Manpower full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work life balance
Excellent career opportunities for those who stretch themseves to acheive development
Excellent access to senior managenent / board directors
Strong focus on ethical approach to employing people - temporary or permanent
Senior management stablity - 3 CEO's in 20 years, how many multinationals can say that?

ConsCan be a big ship to turn
Benefits package for new starters needs a refresh

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just listen to the feedback that's given by employees every year - act upon it

The worst company I have worked for ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Manpower

ProsThere are no pros at all

ConsPoor pay, bad management, appalling treatment of staff.
Manpower is the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working for in my thirty year working history. They are appalling, despicable, disgusting lying, bullying, victimising manipulating, unethical, revolting; repulsive, vile, offensive and sickening I could go on the words to describe this company are endless…..
They have no morals, they have absolutely no HR and or people skills whatsoever, there is no point in escalating complaints regarding their conduct to a higher level including those of victimization and bullying as they all lie and deny that it is happening, they bury their heads in the sand and don’t care.
They are all incapable brain washed zombies, it’s a bit like Stepford Wives. They are brainwashed into the Manpower culture which is that of don’t give a toss about their employees as long as they are making money from them.
Loyalty, commitment and conscientiousness mean nothing to them, they don’t care that you work every hour god sends with no overtime or that you remain committed to doing a good job for their client, even the client’s wishes and opinions take second place to their bureaucracy!
I have never experienced anything before in my life like Manpower and would never wish to ever again.
If you are an employer don’t even think about using Manpower to hire staff unless you want miserable, de-motivated and undervalued staff and if you are a jobseeker, don’t ever work for this company unless you are a sadist that likes a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip, start showing your employees some respect!

Horrific.

Production Operative (Former Employee)
Oxford, England

I worked at Manpower

ProsThey pay a very good hourly rate for unskilled work. A rate which most of their "employees" would not be able to earn otherwise. If you keep your mouth shut, your eyes and ears open, know your job inside out and don't take time off you will be ok. There are some nice people there and you will make good friends with people from all over the world. It can be good as a temporary place while studying or waiting for a better job.

ConsWorking on the assembly line. Each job takes less than a minute and you repeat this over and over all day long, sometimes for 13 hours. The work is physically painful, uncomfortable and stressful. If you want the toilet you have to ask like a child and they might say no or ask you what you will do in the toilet so they can work out how long you will be. You will have trouble completing your process in the required time but will be shouted at and bullied for any mistakes or failures. Certain people stroll round doing nothing while others are near exhaustion. Lots of back stabbing and squabbling. Wages are often "miscalculated" (but only in their favour) and you have to fight and argue very actively to get them corrected. Lots of unnecessary rudeness and unpleasentness. You won't be given the correct attire (whch is part of your contract) but will be shouted at for not being dressed properly. The place is run on intimidation and fear and there is a lot of bullying. They can get rid of you any time they want and they use that against you every day. Breaks are much needed but few and far between and you may have to walk a distance to your rest area, then you have to que for everything toilet, wash basin, drink, microwave, canteen... by the time you sit down it's time to go back to work. They come down on you very hard for taking time off and always question it. The union is corrupt and not worth joining. They just act as a message service for management which the employees fund, do not join. Too many bad things to say about this place and it is always getting worse because they are always looking for ways to reduce costs and increase production.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a responsibility to your workforce and to the community you operate in. You do not fulfill that responsibility. I would gladly tell companies like BMW to get out of the country and we will find something else to do. Any time BMW feel like it they threaten to upsticks and leave so I say go and be done with it, you wouldn't get away with this behaviour in Germany.

Excellent Talent Placement Agents

Manpower Associate On Long-Term Temporary Contract Assignment (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Manpower as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere are two ways to work here: 1) As a temp/temp to hire, etc for Manpower's clients and 2) As a direct employee for Manpower (the company). As the first, I have had nothing but a great experience. Their online application process & applying for positions is easy and once connected with their Talent Placement Specialists, they go above and beyond to find the best position for you and their clients.

ConsI have no cons for this excellent company! Though they are indeed large, I have never had a phone call not returned immediately by my Job Agent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Continue to reward your Talent Placement Specialists!

Nice people

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Manpower full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, beautiful office, hard working people.

ConsConstantly changing plans- tough to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your branch offices.

Good career opportunities and learning if you come in to the right unit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Manpower

ProsIndependent environment where initiatives can be rewarded greatly. Good leadership intentions and great strategies. Great work life balance

ConsCan get stuck and not truly global when it comes to career opportunities. Leadership too traditional and somewhat weak in terms of execution

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to put a structure that allows to understand what really goes on in the business and do not just rely on management structure to handle this. This can make Manpower go from wanting to be a industry leader to becoming one.

Great experience with a Big company.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Manpower

ProsQuick with finding placement. They also find you quality work with descent pay.

ConsNo personal problems or conflicts.

The training I received at Manpower was outstanding. They invest well in their employee development.

Staffing Representative (Former Employee)
Rockford, IL (US)

I worked at Manpower full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat staff, freedom to make things happen, compliant with employment law, fair, and all above board.

ConsSometimes the management is distant and moody, leaving you not sure where you stand on many things.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if follow through is not your best skill, it is a must for upper management. If you say you are going to do something, you need to do it for the good of the team and the reputation with your clients.

Great opportunity

Advanced Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)
Menomonie, WI (US)

I worked at Manpower part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to experience positions at various companies.

ConsWish some of the assignments would turn into full time.

Worked for Manpower? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Manpower reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Manpower CEO Jeff Joerres. All 447 reviews are posted anonymously by Manpower employees.