Manpower Reviews

Updated 27 October 2014
3.2

Manpower CEO Jonas Prising
Jonas Prising

Pros
  • not sure about others but my work/life balance was great (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits and great paid time off (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I heard some full time employees complained about his or her job (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management acts with a 'do as I say, don't do as I do' mentality (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A great provider of opportunity

Current Employee - Scientist in Wirral, England
    Current Employee - Scientist in Wirral, England

I have been working at Manpower as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Manpower placed me in my ideal role within a great company and gave me a chance to impress. This enabled me to restart my career and opened the door to opportunities within the company I was placed.

Cons

Not very hands on once placed. Only contact was to send in my timesheets. Not sure if they would have my back if things had not gone well. I feel that this might owe more to where I was placed than Manpower itself.

Try to become more than a means to an end for contractors.

All that glitters is not gold

Former Employee - Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at Manpower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solutions that Manpower provides (alike their competitors) make economies flexible and resilient. Being part of that promise is empowering. At Experis (aka Manpower Professional) companies and exceptional talent are connected to create great opportunities.

Cons

Regional leadership fails to execute high potential strategies to protect own comfort zone creating counter productive stress and departures of talent. Senior management acts with a 'do as I say, don't do as I do' mentality.

All hands-on and inside-out sounds great, but to listen and learn, and act outside-in is where longevity lives. Don't promise what you don't to commit to. And start valuing your talent, speak with those who have left and win them back.

Good company, great values

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Interesting company, great people with positive opportunities.

Cons

Service is suffering because of cost saving initiatives.

Get your hands dirty at ground level

Whirlwind!!

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Manpower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, excellent brand, good business model

Cons

Pace to market (Business)
    Red Tape
    Policy & Procedures

Reduce some of the red tape and policy and procedures that are in place.

R

It's like a playground

Current Employee - Retention Adviser in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Retention Adviser in Leeds, England

I have been working at Manpower (less than an year)

Pros

Payed on time
    Hidden in an office so you don't have to see them

Cons

Constant phone calls if you are sick even if you have already called in
    "Plans" for underachievers

Manpower uk are like a bunch of children. No one knows what the other is doing. Records of sickness etc are not kept therefore IF a disciplinary had to be taken, myself or other employees, wouldn't have a leg to stand on as they seem to hide the proof. Even when in hospital manpower constantly harassing family to tell them when I get back to work "we will have a return to work meeting" TOTALLY UNSYMPATHETIC, no common sense, show no empathy towards anyone.

Also holiday pay for 3 months hasn't been payed had to ASK to be payed and was told "sorry there was an error on system"

This company needs morals, values to follow and training in customer service
    They are purely the reason I left my job which I loved

Great autonomy and work life balance

I have been working at Manpower part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The team I work with are amazing, fantastic skills and a good laugh. The people make the Company great, it would be a challenge for me to find another Company where the people are so focused on each other. I put in long hours when needed but have the flexibility to have a life outside work.

Cons

I love working for Manpower, but I do know that some friends have not has a positive experience when looking for work, it does depend on which colleague you speak to as to the service you get (quality varies). Also for the role I do with Manpower my salary is not comparable to the external market (it's lower!)

Concentrate on your people not just on the bottom line

A great company to work for when you put the effort in

I have been working at Manpower full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Excellent career opportunities for those who stretch themseves to acheive development
    Excellent access to senior managenent / board directors
    Strong focus on ethical approach to employing people - temporary or permanent
    Senior management stablity - 3 CEO's in 20 years, how many multinationals can say that?

Cons

Can be a big ship to turn
    Benefits package for new starters needs a refresh

Don't just listen to the feedback that's given by employees every year - act upon it

The worst company I have worked for ever

I worked at Manpower

Pros

There are no pros at all

Cons

Poor pay, bad management, appalling treatment of staff.
    Manpower is the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working for in my thirty year working history. They are appalling, despicable, disgusting lying, bullying, victimising manipulating, unethical, revolting; repulsive, vile, offensive and sickening I could go on the words to describe this company are endless…..
    They have no morals, they have absolutely no HR and or people skills whatsoever, there is no point in escalating complaints regarding their conduct to a higher level including those of victimization and bullying as they all lie and deny that it is happening, they bury their heads in the sand and don’t care.
    They are all incapable brain washed zombies, it’s a bit like Stepford Wives. They are brainwashed into the Manpower culture which is that of don’t give a toss about their employees as long as they are making money from them.
    Loyalty, commitment and conscientiousness mean nothing to them, they don’t care that you work every hour god sends with no overtime or that you remain committed to doing a good job for their client, even the client’s wishes and opinions take second place to their bureaucracy!
    I have never experienced anything before in my life like Manpower and would never wish to ever again.
    If you are an employer don’t even think about using Manpower to hire staff unless you want miserable, de-motivated and undervalued staff and if you are a jobseeker, don’t ever work for this company unless you are a sadist that likes a challenge.

Get a grip, start showing your employees some respect!

Horrific.

Former Employee - Production Operative in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Production Operative in Oxford, England

I worked at Manpower

Pros

They pay a very good hourly rate for unskilled work. A rate which most of their "employees" would not be able to earn otherwise. If you keep your mouth shut, your eyes and ears open, know your job inside out and don't take time off you will be ok. There are some nice people there and you will make good friends with people from all over the world. It can be good as a temporary place while studying or waiting for a better job.

Cons

Working on the assembly line. Each job takes less than a minute and you repeat this over and over all day long, sometimes for 13 hours. The work is physically painful, uncomfortable and stressful. If you want the toilet you have to ask like a child and they might say no or ask you what you will do in the toilet so they can work out how long you will be. You will have trouble completing your process in the required time but will be shouted at and bullied for any mistakes or failures. Certain people stroll round doing nothing while others are near exhaustion. Lots of back stabbing and squabbling. Wages are often "miscalculated" (but only in their favour) and you have to fight and argue very actively to get them corrected. Lots of unnecessary rudeness and unpleasentness. You won't be given the correct attire (whch is part of your contract) but will be shouted at for not being dressed properly. The place is run on intimidation and fear and there is a lot of bullying. They can get rid of you any time they want and they use that against you every day. Breaks are much needed but few and far between and you may have to walk a distance to your rest area, then you have to que for everything toilet, wash basin, drink, microwave, canteen... by the time you sit down it's time to go back to work. They come down on you very hard for taking time off and always question it. The union is corrupt and not worth joining. They just act as a message service for management which the employees fund, do not join. Too many bad things to say about this place and it is always getting worse because they are always looking for ways to reduce costs and increase production.

You have a responsibility to your workforce and to the community you operate in. You do not fulfill that responsibility. I would gladly tell companies like BMW to get out of the country and we will find something else to do. Any time BMW feel like it they threaten to upsticks and leave so I say go and be done with it, you wouldn't get away with this behaviour in Germany.

Manpowere

I have been working at Manpower as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The pros would be that there is work

Cons

The cons would be the lower salaries sometimes

Manpower Photos