Market Leader

Market Leader Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Market Leader President Ian Morris

Ian Morris

You get what you put into it...

ProsThe new, combined (w/ Trulia) management team is very strong and analytics driven. Know your KPIs and drive hard toward them and you'll do great.

ConsNo real cons although you need to go in with eyes wide open. No matter what attempts are made to boost morale (beer, free food, etc.) or make the org "friendly," the organization is a machine. You need to hit your numbers and/or dates consistently... period.

Good People - Average Company

Sales (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsThis is a good place to build your resume for sales experience. A lot of the people are great and the company provides a great location, building, food options, etc.

ConsA very small percentage (about 10%) of sales people actually hit quota and make any decent money. Expectations were not set properly regarding that during the interview process. A number of employees sell dishonestly and lack integrity.

Racist, sexist, old boys club

Inside Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsLots of fairly good sales training. Great benefits.

ConsExpected to work for free and perform additional training activities off the clock. 99% white male sales force. Extremely dysfunctional management style. Dishonest sales techniques encouraged and supported.
    The product itself is sub-par, over-priced and quite non-competitive. Unprofessional sales force.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of your vulnerability for a class action lawsuit based on race and sex discrimination as well as sexual harassment by management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits were good but they recently changed that. The people that work at Market Leader are cool. The office is nice.

ConsThe company was purchased by Trulia and is getting worse by the day. Managers don't actually manage. They sit in meetings all day long and then send you passive aggressive emails on what you need to be doing better. The customer care department is horribly understaffed. They pile on an unreasonable amount of work for you to do and set unrealistic goals. The company is paying the employees less each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and pay them.

Good Old Boys Club should be Market Leader's Name

Inside Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsNice office, free drinks, decent benefits

ConsThis job is a dead end job, with no opportunity for growth.

Good old boys club, or frat mentality through out the sales team. If you are buddies, with the sales director or played basketball for him, you are promoted and are given better leads.

There's definitely two different "teams" the haves and the have nots. All of this is based on favoritism, not on skill or hard work. If you are on the have not team, you are expected to make 80-100 cold calls a day, to Realtors, who have already been called dozens of times already. You are looking for a needle in haystack, for sales. All the while, people around you on the have team, take call ins, and take orders for a sale (also called a lay-up). They run around and high five each other for sales, but what did they do to get them, sat there, and picked up the phone, and TOOK AN ORDER, not sell anything!

You are expected to work 9-10 hour days, and only payed 8 hours. Management says, just put 8 hours a day on your time card.

Worst company I've ever worked for!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new sales director, one that is impartial, and that knows a thing or two about sales.

Lack of professionalism prevails. Market Leader is not a good company to work for.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsFun people, lack of professionalism has its benefits. They throw cash spiffs around like crazy. You can make a lot of money if you excel at a short sales cycle and pressuring people into buying things that they have a 1/10 chance of making money with.

ConsThere are quite a few cons from working at Market Leader.
    1.) Management is focused on top line revenue growth in the short term, at the expense of long term growth.
    2.) Training is weak and disjointed. Teams change frequently.
    3.) There is a boys club of guys that get better leads/promotions because they played basketball for the sales director when he coached "back in the day". But- if you DID play basketball for him, you might get a promotion to manager or team lead.
    4.) The product is not the best in the industry. Not even close. You will have cancellations, and you better get a referral before they figure out how ineffective the product is.

The old adage in sales is to make sure that you are giving your customer $1.10 in value for every dollar they are spending with you. At Market Leader we give about $0.60 for every dollar customers spend. Proceed with caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMessaging to customers that they need a CRM to run their business is funny when you give your sales people a rebuilt version of a CRM from 1997.

Worse Management in Technology Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is good for taking care of its employees

* Great work/life balance
    * New good office in Bellevue
    * Good benefits

ConsThe worse management in the Tech department. Average people stay in the company for more than 6 years. While this means company treat people really well, yet there are no new thoughts come into play.

The management has no desire to brought in any new technology to improve processes. It is using 80's technology to manage 21st people.

There are many silos around the department. No collaboration, no communication, people only focus on their own parts and try to secure it to protect their own best interests.

Managers are pretty much micro-manage their people ...

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Ian, tech world needs a new fresh management team.

Serious Opportunities for Growth!

Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsOur business is growing, our technology is improving, and the opportunities for growth and career advancement are excellent. In the year I've been with Market Leader, a full 30% of our existing workforce have been promoted either within their roles or advanced into new roles (including me!). I've never seen anything like it. Part of the reason for the opportunities is due to our business trajectory. The other part is our merger with Trulia. We now have the opportunity to make a greater impact as individuals, and as a team, working collaboratively with Trulia.

I work with smart people who care about the work and are respectful of others.

Market Leader takes very good care of us. We have lots of meaningful perks and the benefits are stellar (80% match on 401(k) + 100% employer-paid benefits for employees.) Our new office is gorgeous, too.

ConsWe recently moved to downtown Bellevue which is a farther commute for me personally. That said, everyone (who wants one) receives a free ORCA Card; so in the long run I'm saving by not driving.

Opportunity to sell a great product.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsSmart product. Amazing office. Awesome benefits.

ConsDepending on what team you're on opportunities are more scarce. Inside sales and cold calling can be a rough gig when you're not selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave new Account Execs start selling with system only and then graduate to leads. Understanding the system from the inside out makes it much easier to sell the product the right way by having the client believe in the software and company.

Great place to work and develope professionally!

Account Executive (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsThe compensation is attractive followed by beyond fair benefits and perks. The management seems to have the actual talent and desire to aid the sales team along with other departments in yielding greater results. The environment and culture is fun yet focused and team oriented yet individually challenging. The companies rate of growth, superior products, and laid back dress code is a plus as well. The second half of the training was suprisingly beneficial. The sales trainer sam was fantastic and I learned a shocking amount about sales in one week.

ConsThe parking situation is less then ideal. I will be paying a $50 to park off-site and take a shuttle to the office. Other then the dissapointing parking arrangments there isn't much to complain about!

Worked for Market Leader? Contribute to the Community!