Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, appreciated experience in cv

Waitress (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsFair treatment, great trainings on a monthly basis, cross training possibilities, respectful colleagues. Their recruitment is on a high level, it is not easy to get in.

ConsProbably the salary could be better, and sometimes you have to wait long years to get promoted as it is not easy

Advice to Senior ManagementThe salary could be better as the wages of food and beverage associates mostly depends on the occupancy and you can do nothing about it.

Good

Revenue Manager (Current Employee)
City of London, England

I have been working at Marriott

Pros- competitive salaries
- good opportunities for senior leaders
- good benefits such as pension plan, private medical insurance, new bonus plan, etc.

Cons- slow in change management
- unbalanced work -life balance (labour shortage, etc. )
- new system improvements currently in progess

Advice to Senior Management- Focus on training and development of entry-level position up to senior manager positions
- review processes to implement efficiencies and therewith enabel work-life balance

This was an unpaid internship in Sales and Marketing.

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott

ProsManagers and supervisors went out of their way to see that I was learning and treated me with respect.

ConsI'm not too familiar with job advancement at the Marriott but it seems that it is difficult to get promoted and some of the associates work very hard for what they are paid while the upper management seems to get great benefits.

Avoid at all costs

Lawyer (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsNot many. Some partners are nice to work with but are not very assertive.

ConsMercurial, unprofessional management. Equity partners are only interested in keeping their own remuneration as high as possible. No vision for future of firm.No ability for staff lawyers to be made partner. Bad decision making. Extremely bad leadership. Ridiculous managing partner completely lacking common sense and leadership skills. Disorganised management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new managing partner.

No comment

Accounts (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsMostly nice people to work with

ConsUndesired industry. Lack of development opportunity for certain disciplines.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

Good company poor wages in Europe.

ProsJob security.
Best tools in the industry.

ConsWage structure.
Benefits that would make a real difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementRenumerate better.

a very demanding job role

Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Marriott

ProsGood benefits, good discount rates at Marriotts around the world, good brand, well-respected hotel chain

ConsNot enough support from senior management, poor wages, lack of professionalism, a lot of politics and behind the scenes games

Advice to Senior ManagementUK Marriotts seem to differ greatly from the US ones, so far I havent seen the real Marriott Culture in my region. A lot of drive towards delivering excellent customer service throughout the hotel , which is great,but nothing in return for the employees. No appreciation whatsoever. Having said that , staff morale in the US seems to be much higher and associates are actually enjoying working for Marriott over there. Marriott is very well respected in the US and loved by people. Employees across there are proud to work for it.

Good Starting Place at Courtyard

I have been working at Marriott part-time

ProsFor someone with a future in Hotel industries and studying it in school great starting spot and the job expirence is invaluable. Learned alot and its a very nice hotel easily one of the top in town.

ConsCommunication is poor, departments dont get along management wise. In a smaller town the amount of canidates for certain positions must be lacking because some of the hires are head scractching. Im just here to learn and this place has plenty good and bad to take forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a franchised hotel so I will not knock Marriott, the company that owns us sucks and I wish Marriott would get in the owners of the hotel more and not let them cut so many corners. Hurting the name Marriott which I am proud to work for.

Amazing introduction to the hospitality industry.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
North Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great policies, and a very guest-oriented view of the hotel world.

ConsDepending on franchise owner, can be rather bad at keeping employees happy, which is a big part of the Marriott philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sell your hourly staff short! They dedicate a lot of time and effort to the company, often at the expense of big portions of their personal lives; it's important to recognize and reward these workers when possible. I've always been treated very well, but I have seen some employees who have not.

Great Place to work

Assistant Director of Finance and Accounting (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMarriott was a great company to work for. They offered flexible schedules, great work enviorment, lots of employee benefits/Perks and the company provides all kinds of tools and resources to support work needs.

ConsI worked property side and in order to advance your career you have to be willing to relocate (often). You have to be willing to move when there is an opening available. there really isn't a way to "correct this" it is the natural flow of how it has to work, it just didn't work well for where I needed to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the company has it nailed down and does a great job over all. So, just keep doing what you're doing.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 996 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.