Marriott

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.6 1,192 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

1,192 Employee Reviews

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, Room Rate Discounts and so much opportunity world wide. Lots of training and corporate affiliated discounts. Pretty Solid pay all the way around.

ConsAs an entry level employee I found it very hard to break the barrier for a promotion. Yes there is a ton of opportunity but it feels like you've really got to know someone in management to get up there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for the young professionals who are truly passionate about hospitality!

wRTt

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

Prosgoog, comfortable, nice ambiance, good managers

Consthe compensation is a little low

Great Company...too much reorganization

ProsSpirit to serve is a way of life, not just a motto. Great culture, management and brands. Associates truly care about the work they do. Flexible work arrangements are a huge plus.

ConsFor the past several years there has been constant reorganization, continue to be asked to do more with less. Difficult to advance or transfer to other departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy, lots to do

ProsThe company cares a lot about it's employees and has very very low turnover

Consodd hours, understaffed, and could use a fresh outlook

Great Quality Company as an associate & customer!

Group Housing Coordinator (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsQuality of product and the majority of associates, growth opportunity, benefits & perks, company culture, open 24/7 with a wide range of positions and hours, exposure to so may other opportunities. This is a company that truly believes that if you take care of your associates, they'll in return take care of the company [ie. the customer!].

ConsOpen 24/7 holiday or not, someone has to work and the same political issues you'd face in any other job.

Marriott is a great place to work.

Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsMarriott is a great company to work for. Terrific people to work with in the different departments and also able to learn new skills in other departments with a great opportunity to advance in the company.

Conswhile rewarding work it is also challenging to do your job with so many employees and guest of the hotel that you have to maneuver around in order to complete your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees more to let them know the path of the company and the changes that are going on with the company.

Wonderful people, excellent benefits, ok pay

ProsMarriott really focuses on a good work-life balance. The people are exceptionally friendly and expectations are reasonable. The associate rates are excellent. There are lots of small advancement opportunities.

ConsIt can be hard to branch into management because people rarely leave.

Interview

Global Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsManagers and Supervisors really take care of their employees and customers, Customer service is a priority, treat you the way they want to be treated, opportunities for advancement

ConsSitting all day, work/life balance, long hours

Awesome experience, taught me that I can be better and expect more of myself, great people.

Customer Care and Sales Specialist (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsMarriott gives great benefits.
    Starting wage is usually between 9 & 12 dollars/hr.
    Always has some sort of benefit/fundraiser going on to help the community.
    Maintains new opportunities for growth.
    If you have issues with someone they have an open door policy.
    Paid training
    Perks
    Discounts
    Total Compensation at high value

ConsCan get repetitive
    Can get boring if you don't stay active
    long hours
    You have to bid for your schedule
    If you have a change in school schedule, they don't change your schedule immediately (even with proof of school-work conflict) ; it cost me my job and it didn't matter the length I was there 1-2 yrs, or my review status of Satisfactory Performer, or the fact that I always took overtime to help the company. ((Still a good company))

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone has a school schedule to work around, you should be able to allow the new schedule to take effect immediately as long as they prove they are in school for the hours they need to be excused. This flaw cost me my job because I was given an ultimatum to choose school or work.

Awesome company that truly values it's employees

ProsGreat work life balance and flexibility, amazing benefits, overall great place to work.

Consnon that are worth mentioning. The pros of working for the company outweigh the cons any day!

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!