Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good atmosphere, nice people

Server (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for more than a year

Prosgood discount, nice company, takes care of you benefit wise

Consnot great pay, hard to get work covered with few employees

Marriott Corporate Internship

Intern (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorking within the Americas division exposes you to incredible senior leadership.

ConsWorking as an intern gives you very limited corporate strategic input .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving your college interns exposure to senior leaders. This type of culture is conducive to professional growth.

Great Place to Work

Night Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's laid back, co-workers are nice and easy going. The managers are understanding and willing to accommodate within reason. Highly recommended.

ConsSometimes the guests make requests that you can't fulfill due to company policy or it's something that just isn't possible and they take it out on you.

I love what I do, I have a passion for the business. And great on advancement

I have been working at Marriott

ProsIf you really put your heart into it, they will push for you to reach your goals. Seen that the first time I was employed. Second time now, staying to make a career.

ConsSome co workers really don't want to put forth the effort which brings the department down. Re in force the meeting about policies and protocol.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is always room for improvement..but the waiting once a year for a raise is a little to much. Cause within the first six months you are ready to learn more. I know I am. My first job was Marriott and I loved the fact that after I became permanent I was sprouting up on the corp ladder every six months. Marriott molded me into the person I am today..and thank you for the second chance to work with company..looking forward to being director of housekeeping one day.

Great place to work

Fornt Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Ridgeland, MS (US)

I have been working at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat room discounts all over the world.

ConsIf you are part-time, you do not receive time and a half for working holidays.

Good company, difficult work/life balance

I have been working at Marriott

ProsGood benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate

ConsWork/life balance can be hard with certain jobs

Best company to work if you got the right boss

Front Office Executive (Current Employee)
Ahmedabad (India)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking Culture is the best.

ConsWorking Culture needs to be improved at certain levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow Marriott International Standards rather following Marriott India Standards

Marriott was a strong culture, with team members who wanted to work with you to provide a better customer experience

Valet (Former Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsI really enjoyed how open and friendly the workers were with me as a new employee. Everyone was really welcoming and wanted to work with you rather than against you.

ConsToo much corporate involvement. There were little things that needed to be done a lot that needed approval from someone higher up whether it be at that hotel or someone in the corporate office. It slowed a lot of things down that could've been taken care of with more autonomy.

Awesome!

Rooms Operations Intern (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, built great relationships with staff
Family atmosphere, everyone is friendly even managers
They take care of their associates and there is opportunities to advance if you work hard in your current position

ConsPay could be more, but I was only an intern so I didn't expect much.
Slow to introduce new technology and adopt new ways of attracting the new business traveler. (Not a leader in innovation)
Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry

Great training, not so great opportunities.

Concierge Lounge Attendant (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent training programs. Marriott is very serious about training employees in customer service and technical training. I loved working for Marriott and I hope I can go back one day, probably to a different hotel. However, they really try to take care of their employees with their benefits (e.i., insurance, PTO, discounts).

ConsFranchise owned... is that enough? Managers did not care to promote from within. This minimized the amount of growth possible for ambitious employees. It was the reason I quit and decided to find other positions in hotels more suited towards my goals. I believe not all Marriott hotels are the same, in terms of furthering opportunities.

Avg/Below avg compensation.

I was also bullied by some other employees. We required teamwork, and sometimes they did not want to do their part. They felt it was necessary to make me feel inadequate when I made my supervisor aware of this issue. I had no choice, my job depended upon their cooperation. At first I brushed it off, but it got to a point where I felt uncomfortable around those employees. This did not affect my decision to quit because I mostly worked alone. However, I did feel relieved after putting in my two-weeks notice knowing I would not have to deal with them much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation towards your good employees. Recognize potential. Fire the bullies. No one wants to feel uncomfortable at work.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 996 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.