Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "A very good company and good benefits (health could be a little better)"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very demanding business to be in, not the great work-life balance sometimes"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Long Hours, but if you are working in hotel banquet/catering then this is understood"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great for a university student who wants an easy job but have to work lots of hours!

Navigator (Former Employee)
Manchester, England

I worked at Marriott part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay for a student job. Management very helpful and understanding of other commitments.

Conscan include long hours. early mornings/ late evenings etc

Advice to Senior Managementneed a better system on handling cash. Till systems needs updating too

It has been more than exceptional

Bar Associate (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Marriott as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI especially all the systematic work culture

ConsThere is a communication gap between the management and associates

Advice to Senior ManagementShare with associates

No career opportunities for experienced and hard workers

Manager (Current Employee)
Heathrow, England

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible rota, free parking, nice uniform, staff rate discounts, nice people around to work with

ConsNo opportunities for experienced, promotions only for who knows whom, drag & drop promotions, senior management oblivious to staff needs, cheeky methods to spy employees, rules applied on as and when basis, procedures change when GM & Dir Ops change , HR practically un functional

Advice to Senior ManagementRead employee performance reviews ESP HR director, know employees personally, take personal interest in their development, there are other people around rather than graduates and the ones close to your hearts, don't change rules to suit your management style but follow Marriott handbook, improve staff food, give experienced employees opportunity to excel, stop spying on staff and managers, treat all customers equally and not on personal terms, race, origin,

Great company

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people I worked with were great, the mojority would do anything to help if needed. There were loads of opportunities for training and to gain extra skills. The benefits were great. I thoroughly enjoyed working there!

ConsCan't think of any worth mentioning to be honest, they are not perfect no one company is.

good training but less salary and benefits

Receptionist (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Prosvery good training, nice team, fast progress within the hotel, possibilities of transfering even between the different brands (JW Marriott, Ritz, etc)

Consless salary, less benefits (the staff rates for hotels are to high), transfer between hotels is more difficult than they tell you while starting,

They are a great company to work for.

Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey look after you, and are very fair. I worked there, left and went back again. They're a true team orientated company who expect results.

ConsYou do need to play the "marriott corporate" game, and "fit in". If you don't, you won't last long. The culture is that of working together and making it happen which is good, so if you're not a team player, personable and make an effort, you won't survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork the system.

Do the reports accordingly and on time and you'll do fine!

Culture

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsAn abundant of resources and experience to draw from

ConsTight knit, channeled perspective, not many organic growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to inspire younger associates, create more opportunities for growth, loosen up as a company

Ok place to work

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsGood training and management experience

ConsBadly paid
Lots of politics

Working as a Senior Cdp in London Parklane Marriotts 2AA Rosette

Sous Chef (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsSterching over 3,000 properties and over half a million rooms spread throughout 70 countries around the globe, Marriott is one of the world's largest hotel management specialist. Marriott pocesses moderately-priced chains like Courtyard and Fairfield to the esteemed luxury of Ritz-Carlton, Marriott's broad portfolio of brands has something for every traveler. However, the firm specializes primarily in attracting business groups. Unlike many rivals, who are facing heavy capital expenditures to overhaul their properties and re-energize their brands, Marriott has already infused its hotels with fresh bedding and high-thread-count sheets. And many rooms have also been outfitted with high-definition TVs and the latest in connectivity technology for travelers with iPods and laptops.

Consnothing much but still some usual guest comments regarding housing ,lodging and food issues which could be tolerated by offering some other valuable facilities and services to the guest in terms of "in house "service to compensate the araised complaints

Advice to Senior Managementhighy skilled professionally lead management where advice is not necessary but their expertise in the hospitality industry leads the role according to the situation demands

Great company, appreciated experience in cv

Waitress (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsFair treatment, great trainings on a monthly basis, cross training possibilities, respectful colleagues. Their recruitment is on a high level, it is not easy to get in.

ConsProbably the salary could be better, and sometimes you have to wait long years to get promoted as it is not easy

Advice to Senior ManagementThe salary could be better as the wages of food and beverage associates mostly depends on the occupancy and you can do nothing about it.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 989 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.