Marriott

3.7
1,451 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally a good employer

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Marriott is a name which is associated with very high standards and expectations. The benefit package which the company offers for the employees is good. Good to have this name in your CV.

Cons

Salaries are low. Too many decisions are taken on a regional and higher management level and their mandatory implementation leads to inadequate results. Due to the low salaries many good line managers go to other companies.

Make a real investment in your employees. Increase the salary on a loyalty and performance basis. "The window of opportunities" and all these "brilliant ideas" is pure waste of money, time and energy and everybody I know agrees with that.

One of worst companies to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ware, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ware, England

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Nothing. No benefits.
    I was told free food on my first day of start.

Cons

1. Horrible food (Used food) in dinner time.
    2. When I started I asked one of my trainers what benefits do I get in marriott. I got the answer free food. I was shocked to hear that because i was expecting pension, critical illness, share save, child care voucher. Well Nothing of that sort.
    3. The managers are crap. They dont know what they are doing and the marriott is working because of its entry level young boys and girls. They work for 16-17 hours with a smile but management keep on pushing them.
    4. We have a director of operations who is so rude that everytime she speaks she shouts on you. People and staff are so unhappy with her attitude.
    5. I have a manager who is only 2-3 months old. Since she has come in everyone has tried to build a good rapport but she is on different island.
    6. Horrible working patterns, long shift hours, angry managers always.

Trust me this place is so horrible to work for. In my 10 year career so far I am shocked to see an employer like this who does not care for its employees.

There is hardly any retention rate in the hotel because of the Senior management who thinks that they govern themselves on the staff.

Change senior managment. A company is run by people not by management. Your mott is - look after the employees and employees will look after customers do not apply in marriott. I have not seen a single employee who is happy working with you.
    So try and practice what your motto is.

Overall good company

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Associate in London, England

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture, clear strategic targets, management team are supportive trying to improve the company's talent management. Benefits offered to employees can be graded with a 3 out of 5.

Cons

Not enough trainings offered to line employees. Due to high turnover 70% of management are not qualified for their position. The transition period to managerial role is too short for them.

The job I have ever head!!

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Client Support in Luton, East of England, England

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean offices. That is literally it.

Cons

I was bullied serverly during my time here! The worst people I have ever worked with! When I first started working here I was disaplined for praying on Fridays and fasting! They did not like me having a class of water! The HR are absolulty useless and only care about what management say!

This has to be the worst ever company I have ever worked for!!!! I was bullied and treated less than a human being. I have a learning disability and refused to helped me. My supervisor often said to me if you do not like it here leave.

No support what so ever. You are treated as if you are in a school. They will often threaten you that if you turn up a second late you will loose your job!!! I was also racially abused by staff, which I complained to HR about. The only thing HR had to say is... 'well if you dont like it here then leave'

In terms of the work... there is no freedom add in your own ideas. You are encouraged to work like a robot and never leave your desk. I have been disacaplined for going to the toilet and getting a cup of tea.

My supervisor was a hypocrit who constantly use to make personal phone calls and then complain when you make a personal phone call

Change your accounts payable staff at Luton!!

Great family culture, best hospitality company to work for by far

I have been working at Marriott full-time

Pros

Large organisation, Great for career development and mobility. A culture of cooperation and teamwork means that associates are happy.

Cons

The pay is low, even for hospitality. Very process driven and traditional processes which make it difficult for the company to be open to innovation and changes.

Great

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

great culture, looks after people

Cons

great opportunity for personal growth

I enjoy the multi-faceted approach to customer service from the interview process through to the guest follow up!

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Staff through out the whole Hotel. Great holidays and good teamwork. It is great to learn that senior management take an interest in the day to day operations.

Cons

There can be a lot of difficult processes to be overcome. Salary is not amazing. You can not always get what you want, the bigger picture must be realized.

Keep communicating, keep checking, keep training and keep up on the positive work :)

Friendly co-workers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Marriott as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, easy to fit in

Cons

Not much learning when it comes to interns

Good but salary below average

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, good culture, good induction program

Cons

Salary really low, lack of systems management in the UK, eCommerce procedures are very slow (to update something in the website it takes really long time)

Should consider to increase the complete annual package

poor working conditions

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

there were none, I did not learn a thing and felt undervalued

Cons

do not value staff, management are rude, it was very low pay

respect staff more