Marriott Reviews

3.6
1,361 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 34 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 46 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Great chance to meet alot of awesome people from around the world

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room rates, meeting people , great food

Cons

pay schedule certain guest

Dont forget about the small guys. We work very hard

Great company overall

Former Employee - Manager, Sales Analysis in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Manager, Sales Analysis in Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great at Corporate Headquarters. They're passionate about what they do and have a bright outlook for the company. Case in point, many associates have been with the company for 10+ and even 20+ years.
    There are lots of things going on so you definitely won't get bored, but it's all mostly fun. Work-Life balance is great nonetheless.

Cons

Like many large companies, there's a lot of politics, red tape and silos going on. You need to know how to navigate all this in order to get things done and move up.
    Also, what used to be a company with awesome benefits has become your regular Fortune 500 company with average benefits. Nothing sub-par, just average.

Some groups at corporate function a lot like small eCommerce start-ups - they're passionate and get things done. Others feel more like 100-yr brick-and-mortar corporations where "this is how we've always done it so this is how we'll continue to do it". Shake these groups up a little bit and you'll see some amazing things happen.

Wonderful Company to work for!

Former Employee - Restaurant Supervisor in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Restaurant Supervisor in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

recognition, promotion opportunities, perks and good people. I find that Marriott truly takes care of their employees. They like to promote from within and offer many things in their large hotels that are nice (cafeterias, lockers and even dry cleaning). The compensation and job atmosphere is great in my opinion.

Cons

There are not many cons but I guess the long hours could be one. It really just ends up becoming a balancing act at times between debating whether the long h9urs is worth all of the overtime hours (more money) you get. I have always found that it is worth it.

Continue to promote from within and always strive to recognize even the little achievements that your staff makes.

the best

Former Employee - Assist Bell Captain in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Assist Bell Captain in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

team pride great work environment
    benefits

Cons

management shuffle, new managers coming and going, not comfortable

keep it up

Depending on what Marriott Hotel you're working for, they are all different

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supplying food to the employees.

Cons

Depending on what department you work in and who your supervisior is makes the difference.

Don't give someone a position only because they have a college degree. Make sure they have the experience and being able to encourage the team

Not a great place to work.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing that I enjoyed about being a front desk agent for Marriott Springhill Suites was greeting and interacting with the guests.

Cons

Training was lacking, co worker relations were crappy, and the pay was peanuts. No one that I came into contact with besides the GM had been there over six months. You get no breaks, and scheduling is terrible. I inquired about meal breaks and was told that there are none, told by the GM if you need to eat for medical reasons pop something in your mouth and keep working. During days of inclement weather the try to force you to stay over to work. I stayed with Marriott all of 1 week. I have a CS and PR background but since having a baby I have stayed home. I was looking for something to bring in extra cash for holiday traveling. Fortunately, I was in a position to say "no thanks" to working in a place that cares so little for the employees.

Caring more about your employees will decrease turnover. We can't even get a 15 minute break so there's no wonder why no one stays!

Tremendous Company to Work For

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Marriott full-time

Pros

Best "brand power" in the lodging industry.

Cons

Big companies are never as quick, nimble and flexible as the might want to be.

Stay the course and continue to start to embrace the "outside of Marriott" talent pool available.

I love working for Residence Inn.

I worked at Marriott

Pros

I was a front desk agent for Residence Inn by Marriott. I love interacting with the guests, & doing nice things for them upon check-in. My supervisors were also all very nice & welcoming, so it was never a problem to talk to them about anything.

Cons

Cons of working for Residence Inn (or any hotel) are the hours. Either work from 7am-3pm or 3pm-11pm. I preferred 3-11 more, considering I was able to interact with more guests during that shift, but it's practically your entire day. The pay is also not the best, which weighed into me deciding to leave.

The Hotel was great until Interstate took over

I worked at Marriott

Pros

good pay and benefits and flexible hours

Cons

lots of back stabbing and Management doesn't care

get rid of Interstate

Love working at a hotel

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are by far the best part of my job. My co-workers are the best and you get to meet some interesting guests.

Cons

At my current hotel there is no room for advancement. We do not have supervisors and upper management has been with Marriott for 20+ years. Also, though the hiring pay has gone up, my wages have not making it so I am only making a dollar more than new hires when I've been with Marriott for more than 5 years.

Look at pay for current employees before raising pay for new hires.