Marriott Vacation Club

Marriott Vacation Club Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Marriott Vacation Club President Steve Weisz

Steve Weisz

Pros:
  • "Great benefits and discounts, flexible work schedule, great upbeat environment"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good work/life balance; Employee discount program"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company downsized and eliminated Human Resources department"
    in 2 reviews
  • "comp plan has changed numerous times but not that great of a variance, very high turnover but I'm sure that's normal for a call center"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great first job

Guest Services/Front Desk (Current Employee)
Newport Coast, CA (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than a year

ProsGood starting wage for first front desk job, great coworker and a great culture. People here really learn to stick together.

ConsNo real movement unless you are willing to move to another state. There are very little positions to fill if you are looking to start a carrer. They have a MIT program but only availible to hospitality majors, so business majors are excluded

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better growth plans for promising employees so they dont look to leave

best company ever.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat management and quality of life. all about it

Consnot many positions and pay wasnt too great

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it going and pay a bit more for the hard work.

Great company with good leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIndustry leader with great assets

ConsCan be prone to rest on the laurels of the past rather than aggressively moving forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be able to make the tough decision and get rid of people that don't do anything.

Wonderful Company to Work For

Internet Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMVC is a wonderful company to work for. They value their employees, striving to make us happy by having periodic fun events, great salaries and benefits.

ConsI'm sure every department is different, so micro-politics may vary within each, but I can't come up with any real negative things to say. It's the best place I've worked.

Bartender

Bartender (Current Employee)
Hilton Head Island, SC (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club part-time for less than a year

ProsMet a whole bunch of great guest. Love goign to work everyday. Days were long but rewardigns

ConsManager lacked communication skills. There was no set schedule and very little time off

Great work atmosphere, horrible upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than a year

ProsEarning money was easy, easy job if you enjoy working hard, fun and chill atmosphere. Benefits were INCREDIBLE!! I regretted leaving because my heart broke when I quit, but it was my time to go.

Consmanagement have the tendency to think only about the dollar signs and less about how they treat the people who actually face the guests. they forget that we are the ones selling what they are offering, and that we work hard so that they can sit in an office all day. No room for movement unless you are performing extra-curricular duties for management of some kind (read between the lines there....) Need to be more flexible with your hard-working employees. and DEFINITELY need to be more adaptable to change!! Not everyone wants to spend $16 on a cheeseburger and fries if they aren't super spectacular.

Advice to Senior Managementout with the old folks, in with the semi-younger crowd! you'll never get fresh ideas for bigger and better sales until you gain more youthful management! (not talking about teenagers, strictly speaking about mid-twenties, early thirties - - - it would help the company more than you know!)

Great Company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Saint Thomas, VI (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than a year

ProsI sold Timeshare for Marriott and enjoyed the work environment. The training is great and and the management works hard to prepare you and give you all the tools you need to succeed.

ConsVery Corporate attmosphere, it felt very cookie cutter for the sales process . I feel like if its a sales job you really have to let your personality shine , and it should be a bit more fun ..

It's a time share company...but Marriott. Well, kind of..

Front Office Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than a year

ProsStructured, professional, new company (freshly spun off from Marriott International). Marriott tends to play by the book, which has it's own pros and cons. MVCI does tend to promote within, at least from a property standpoint. I was promoted from an entry level front desk agent to a supervisor after about a year.

ConsAs far as my position, compensation was not up to par. I am now employed for another company as a manager and have realized that I was undercompensated for my position and responsibilities. Labor is mainly provided for by owners' maintenance fees, and most owners would not like to give you a raise or even proper compensation! Time shares age with time, and will need constant renovation. Owners' "property" values may decrease, but their maintenance fees will remain high and rise. The future for this industry is not comforting. MVCI is a newer company as well, since Mr. Marriott created an entirely new entity for the timeshare sector of Marriott (Marriott Vacation Club International, or MVCI/MVW), separate from Marriott International. They have dramatically trimmed down labor expenses nation wide by minimalizing the Human Resources and Accounting departments, basically centralizing them regionally. This cost many great, long term employees their jobs.

As with any large international company, politics will take place. They prioritize "Bench Managers" (college graduates on a paid year internship) over other internal employees that may be just as qualified for advancement, if not more qualified.

Also, from a property standpoint, owners have a great sense of entitlement. This seeds from the sales department painting wonderful pictures of an owner's investment which are often unrealistic and unmeetable. If you're seeking a position in operations, then brace youself!

Advice to Senior ManagementSOPs are a necessity, but is it necessary to have one for literally everything? Also, the downsizing of your HR and accounting departments was a poor move. Not a wise way to stimulate the economy nor employee morale and trust!

Sales Exec

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
Singer Island, FL (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to work for, great perks, enjoy the interaction with clients from all over the world (at least most of them), hours a great.

Cons100% commish, best leads/tours give to the top sales exec - difficult to get to the top if you are not writing (and at the bottom you are fed least desirable tours), too many "lines", some rules are not black & white - rules change as needed, focus lost as to goal of TO line (at least at our resort)

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I have found Marriott Vacation Club to be an exceptional place to work.

Vacation Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, perks, and compensation plan.

ConsWeekends are sometimes required and budget must be met even if time taken for vacation

Worked for Marriott Vacation Club? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott Vacation Club reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott Vacation Club CEO Steve Weisz. All 112 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott Vacation Club employees.