Marsh
usa.marsh.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Marsh Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Peter Zaffino

Pros:
  • "Very good for work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue"
    in 6 reviews
  • "stress levels are very high affecting work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Firm with

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marsh full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat resources and lots of knowledgeable people. A Who's Who of clients. Very strong and leading with large global/complex accounts. Specialty side of business is awesome with great brokers who really give it their all. Some managers (specialty) are tireless and give their life to the business and their team.

ConsExtremely expense reduction focused. At least annual reductions in staff (sometimes 2x a year)... tend to stay around 70-80 so not published and these are not just low performers... often these are masked as position elimination but they craft a 'new' position and adjust responsibilities to get by. Also, extremely internally focused despite great external efforts of many colleagues moving ahead. Several senior managers are self-preservation experts and promoters, at the expense of others.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen without retribution and respect different views, not just people saying what they think you want to hear. Employees are not disposable resources.

Not a meritocracy by any measure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have a subsidised Starbucks
Some really talented colleagues

ConsAn indifferent HR function
Many jobsworth 'company men'

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who are good at their jobs BEFORE they decide to leave the company AND promote talent ahead of family name, school of education, and time of service.

Dog Eat Dog

London, England

I have been working at Marsh full-time for more than a year

ProsFair compensation. Quite a few knowledgeable and friendly colleagues. Nice, modern offices in Tower Place, London.

ConsVery political environment. Few career development opportunities. Need to constantly fight for yourself / what you believe in. Poor team spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess and reward people based on their actual performance, not solely what their manager thinks. Do not allow / support bullying practices in the workplace.

Political and backstabbing environment; lacks direction or strategic thought

Assistant Vice-President (Current Employee)
City of London, England

I have been working at Marsh

ProsLocation and size allows leverage for deals with underwriters

ConsPolitics affects and permeates the organisation

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance morale and staff motivation

Good place to be

I have been working at Marsh

ProsGood group of people and good knowledge sharing.

ConsHave to be 'team player' and act overly enthusiastic about everything to be considered for promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementChillax.

Lots of Hands in the Cookie Jar, but Comfy

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy first real job out of school, was working as a desktop publisher for Marsh in Washington, DC. Temped for over a year waiting on a promise of full-tire hiring, and eventually got to define my position, and grew into a Graphic Designer. An excellent boost for my resume. I loved the atmosphere of the huge company (so many names and faces to learn), the luxury break rooms and the fancy lobby.

I also enjoyed having a lot of down time with which to mess around on the internet and still get paid!

ConsPriorities were constantly back and forth as there are so many folks in management that tend to clash. My department completely dissolved a few months after I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on honing a global mission that includes a more cohesive structure concerning internal support teams.

I have been working at Marsh

ProsMany opportunities for advancement in Insurance

Constoo big of a corporate structure

Good Pay, Poor Management

Policy Review (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay and benefits package was great. It was definitely worth the time, energy, and work requested. The building and location were excellent. The work was challenging while not being overly stressful.

ConsManagement could not seem to get there act together between the old hubs and new hubs. Constant discord, changing of policies/practices and quality standards. Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a proven system of QA and foster communication between departments as well as with clients and client teams.

POOR LEADERSHIP IN FINPRO

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Marsh full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments.

ConsFINPRO leadership is detached and focused on "managing up" and taking care of their friends, rather than those colleagues that actually do the work. Performance reviews and bonuses are determined by a "beauty contest" under the corporate guise of "curve ranking", which does nothing but serves the purpose of leadership that punishes and retaliates against dissenters. I agree with the other commenter who noted that Marsh lies about giving raises. They do not…unless, of course, you are well-connected, OR you complain and they want to use you until they can find someone else to replace you!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice The Greater Good, and especially the Integrity portion of IGNITE!

Not the company it once was

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood vacation time, okay benefits

ConsNo raises, detached management attitude

Worked for Marsh? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh – Why Work for Us?

Marsh is a world leader in delivering risk and insurance services and solutions to its clients. From its founding in 1871 to the present day, Marsh has provided thought leadership and innovation for clients and the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marsh CEO Peter Zaffino. All 109 reviews are posted anonymously by Marsh employees.