Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros:
  • "They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Good benefits - particularly the health insurance"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "You can be expected to work long hours at times"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company with good people

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Work culture in the office

Consbonus is less than I would expect

Advice to Senior Managementno current advice to managment

Losing Talent and Focus

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

ProsMarsh is a Global company with an abundance of resources and analytics available to clients. I've been at other top-ranked brokerage firms and Marsh, by far, surpasses the others in talent and resources.

ConsIn an effort to change the industry and create efficiencies they have lost sight of what's most important, our clients. Second to our clients are our colleagues who generally feel overworked, severely undervalued and completely expendable. Rather than allowing us to provide quality service to our clients they only create additional barriers.

Staffing - we are constantly having to do more with less and it's clear management has no clue what it takes to provide "best in class" service that elite firms provide. If you're a producer it's even harder to negotiate fees with clients when you're constantly losing key team members and there are hurdles to provide any analytics to your clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually talking to colleagues who are in the trenches. Supposedly this was done as part of the new technology role out however they have completely missed the boat. Perhaps put on the breaks before things get even worse? Don't roll out initiatives if they don't work just to check them off your list to show it was completed.

First day in the field "criers are buyers"

Insurance Broker (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can work when ever you want, but that is only because you are paid on commission, although they want you in the office 2 days a week and 3 days in the field.

ConsYou will make money if you have no problem being pushy and underhanded. Don't expect any help after you trial period is up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPyramid style old boys club.

Its a paycheck

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany has a good reputation in the industry. Global platform. Its a paycheck. Not micromanaged.

ConsToo much beaurocracy. New York has to approve everything. Too many managers, too many people with titles. Compensation is awful, raises and bonuses almost unheard of except for producers and top management.

Cliquish, cant get ahead if you are not part of the in crowd. Entire departments outsourced to India, no job security at all. Anyone can get let go any day of the week.

Employees are treated as expendable and are not valued. Turnover seems to be high, probably because of compensation. Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management.

Middle managers cannot get anything done without levels of approval above them. They also seem so worried about their own jobs, they are afraid to speak up or take initiative.

HR appears to be a ghost department. One has no idea who to call or if there is anyone to call.

Terrible inefficiencies in invoiving and accounting. Embarrasing to call clients asking for payment when they have already paid and accounting cant find their money.

Company seems more interested in pouring money into marketing and technology initiatives than retaining talented employees.

You cannot ever telecommute. If you have an appointment, you have to take the whole day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little value of employees goes a long way in morale and productivity. Stop the rah rah meetings until you can compensate people that are actually doing the work to make it a profitable company.

I had a neutral experience at Marsh.

Insurance Claims Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMarsh is a large company with well-known clients.

ConsThey are fanatical about saving money by cutting expenses down to the bone.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is Intelligent but obsessed about growing the business and raising their stock price.

Former PCS Employee

Client Advisor (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMarsh employees are the best trained employees in the industry.

ConsLocal management seems to think they are above it all. They get away with treating hard working dedicated employees like dirt and even if employees file a complaint nothing is done about it by HR. And to add insult to injury those same managers get promoted and hard working valued employees get layed off.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure HR is documenting the employee complaints and pay attention, geez what does it take?

IT Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Washington, PA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits were good, interesting work.

Conslarge company, bureaucracy overcame smaller company atmosphere that was there in the beginning

Very rewarding and I wa able to work with customers in a proactive manner to resolve discrepancies.

Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsI was able to use transferrable skills to achive my goals and I was able to achieve monthly business objectives.

ConsI had no complaints when I was employed other than my position was outsourced to INDIA.

In my 20 years in the IT industry, this was the worst experience I've ever had. You will work a minimum of 65hrs/week.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

ProsThe people who stay are dedicated.

ConsThe amount of outsourcing to India is incredible. It's a security risk beyond measure, all customers, and employees of customers should take fair warning. All of your private data is sent to India via non-secure methods, included plain text email. Raising flags does nothing, because of a few managers getting kick-backs from the firm in India.

The operating companies have gotten their act together while Corporate is political and poorly managed

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat CEO, good benefits, reasonable work life balance. High collaboration across departments. Some of the operating companies increasingly reward talent.

ConsCorporate is full of politicians, who don't care about talent. Too many empty suits in important positions in Finance and HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the heads of all functions at corporate and get rid of the clueless ones. Base assessment of employees on achievement of outcomes, and not apearances.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh & McLennan Companies – Why Work for Us?

Marsh and McLennan Companies is the premier global professional services firm, providing advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital. Through our market leading brands: Marsh, Oliver Wyman… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh & McLennan Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser. All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by Marsh & McLennan Companies employees.