Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard, play hard! If you like the pressure and buzz, you'll succeed here

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England

ProsCompensation and benefits
    Leadership and vision
    Company profile and external recognition
    Global brand
    Strong ethical values & excellent diversity and inclusion drive

Cons1) Some existing employees have been here to long and are stopping the new leadership to implement the much required change. Stop moaning and move on guys, let us make this place better without your nagging...
    2) Brand could be a bit more visible externally
    3) work life balance....hmmm...that's tricky, however again if you want to progress and get to the top this is a sacrifice in many other organisations too

Advice to Senior ManagementBe tougher on low perfromers and sickness to create room for people who would love the opportunity to work here!

MGTI : Milton Keynes - A Fear based environment & perception based actions/reactions

FLA At MGTI (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England

ProsI'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : This is a really huge company, that DOES have a large number of vacancies, and at times has some really great things to offer any employee. To gain extremely recognizable Corporate experience... this is a good place to be.

ConsI'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : The environment is fear based. It's very questioning and demanding of answers when things go wrong, with very little being learned from this.

A large number of workplace decisions are based on perception. Rarely do people ask questions about that perception, to make sure, there is actual fact. But, this isn't even something that's hidden... Some managers seem proud of this. Frequently in my early days I was told by my management team "perception is everything"...

There is a significant case of "old boys club" going on here. You can not be fantastic at the real meat and gravy of your role, so long as you remember two things... The rule about perception, and being on great terms with certain members of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerception IS an excellent tool, but only to decide what questions to ask. It shouldn't be used to judge people, or make decisions.

Overall positive, but with an odd new annoyance policy popping up every far-too-often

IT Professional (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England

ProsHigh pay, professional environment, opportunities available for those who want them

ConsWhile you can move up, it certainly seems to be a long wait at the moment, with little to no growth in higher teams at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the decisions filtering down to the lower ranks seem thoroughly misguided, nothing hugely significant, just things that should have never been signed off on, including certain program updates, particular goals and targets (and the repercussions of not hitting them) and aspects of the security and validation policy. There is a culture of keeping all the boxes green on a spreadsheet, rather than looking with any detail into what they mean or why they are there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Large organisation
    Good pay and benefits

ConsA little unimaginative
    Weak middle management
    Obsessed with financial targets and numbers

Relentless pressure in a company that cannot comprehend that Europe is made up of more than one country

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsSenior roles get a good bonus and a reasonable salary - but they get their pound of flesh

ConsTotally relentless hard work - if you're in IT
    Globalisation is talked about a lot but it is a one way process from these to the rest of the world. No other opinions count.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk with work life balance. - it doesn't exist!
    Stop working your staff into the ground.

OK, but insane amount of concurrent projects in flight at once

ProsPay and benefits pretty good, reasonable flexible working policy, superb immediate management

ConsExpectation of project deliverables just crazy. Too many things on the go at once, no quality control, too many "A1" priority tasks handed to you. Cost cutting affecting personal development, if you want to learn, best to do it in your own time at your own expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop penny pinching and do some better long term forecasting of projects to stop ramming everything through at the drop of a hat.

A company with a lot of opportunities to grow and develop in.

Vice President (Former Employee) London, England

ProsInteresting, varied work
    Great for networking
    Good opportunities for career development for people who are hardworking, talented and ambitious

ConsTraining programs are lacking for younger employees.
    Initiation for new employees should be more professional. Not enough guidance provided.
    Long hours for certain employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above re: cons.

Good company

ProsOpportunity and lots of training available

ConsNot competitive salaries, no mentoring

Run.... run for your lives!

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSome very friendly people
    Good benefits - particularly the health insurance
    Good location

ConsHighly political atmosphere
    Some extremely incompetent people in senior positions who seem to weather every storm just because their 'face fits'.
    Compliance culture is very poor - just a tick box exercise that is veiwed as a necessary evil. Very poor compliance culture.
    HR is useless if you have any serious issues - complaints are swept under the carpet and there is one person who is famous for never answering emails or her phone. If you need to speak to her, you have to call someone sitting near her to see if she's in and actually go up to see her!
    Very poor bonuses and pay increases, unless you are a broker making big £££ for the company.
    IT is not great and can be very frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know where to start...

Great people to work with

Developer, Enterprise Technology Group (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFriendly, and largely non-political atmosphere.
    Stable, not-too-competitive working environment.
    Good people to work with generally.
    Plenty of scope to change roles and move around within the company if you want to.
    Good work-life balance, if that's a priority.
    Salary rates are decent. Not the best around but above average.

ConsSlow decision making sometimes.
    Poor office environment/facilities.
    Career progression can feel a little slow.
    Some frustration due to inefficient processes that sometimes result in slow resolution of problems or inability to move a project forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get rid of some of the "red tape". Tasks frequently take much longer and a lot more effort than they should due to inefficient processes and lack of access.
    Get out of your offices and talk to people. Town Halls are not a great way to communicate.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!