Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated 15 December 2014
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, bad politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There are good employees there

Cons

Management isn't open to suggested improvements and lacks hands on experience

Recognize talent

Working for Marsh

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Very large company with great benefits. Top insurance brokerage firm.

Cons

Many changes going on within the company.

If you are in sales you are valued! If not, the promotions and raises are minimum for the other roles.

Participant Service Representative

Former Employee - Participant Service Representative in Norwood, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Participant Service Representative in Norwood, MA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Accumulated a decent amount of time off. Could switch shifts if you needed to and colleagues were willing. Lots of support during training. Could pick up overtime for extra pay, offered 401k.

Cons

Just about very move I made was being watched, every phone call listened to. Too much pressure put on employees. Phone reviews were often ridiculous. For example, I would be given points off for not saying a clients name three times.

Don't put so much pressure on employees answering the phones and say how much time they can be given to answer a question, all while having to remember little things like repeating a clients name or how long they can put someone on hold. I am sure the client on the phone would much rather an employee take their time and get the correct information by waiting a little longer than having their representative worry about minor details such as their name being repeated or waiting on hold longer than a minute. Management should also be more available and open to employee questions when employees need guidance on the phones.

Great pace to work.

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Great people nice company to work for.

Cons

growth would be better for the staff.

N/A

VERY GOOD PLACE TO GO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn related experience fast

Cons

Professional training! Realize your personal value here!

Career High

Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation, collaborative culture, professionalism, global opportunities

Cons

Compliance can bog down the truly meaningful work, but it's minor and necessary

Very stressful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with great benefits. The holiday schedule is great. The amount of vacation, sick and floating holidays is great.

Cons

Management stinks. Working for a large company leaves some of us falling through the cracks.
    The company advocates transparency but there are things going on the department I work in that if higher ups were to find out they would probably blow a gasket.

Pay more attention to who you hire and what they bring to the table. If all they bring is drama and problems perhaps you shouldn't hire them. Someone with some college or a college degree should only be considered for this job.

Corporate Benefits Department - Avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One can gain valuable work experience in a very tall organisational structure. High volume of data and work to do.
    Great for actuaries, accountants and math nerds.

Cons

This was the worst place that I have ever worked. It has an astronomically high Power Distance Ratio.
    In the Benefits Dept., workers get to see the 4-figure bonuses executives make (over 100k salary), whereas non-exempt employees basically got zilch. Middle management was very very derisive towards 'inferiors'. Employees had feuds lasting for years and refused to speak to one another outside of required interaction/meetings. Lower- echelon workers were expected to be slaves. I even heard a well-paid attorney say in front of the VP of benefit's administrative assistant: ".... your grossly underpaid assistant." And the evp said nothing. It made me want to wretch. There was much strife, so much, in fact that they brought in an external consultant to help sort out the lack of 'esprit de coeur'. As other reviews have stated, drawbacks include an entrenched 'old boys' club', no opportunity to put your hand to diverse tasks, extremely uneven compensation. Working there you are just a number. No professional development.

Consider how efficient daily operations would be without the 'little people' you so thoroughly scorn.

Old school thought process

Former Employee - Benefit Administrative in Urbandale, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Benefit Administrative in Urbandale, IA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many, they are not willing to change or listen to new ideas.

Cons

No raises
    Lack of communication and follow through
    Can't keep their clients as they do not wish to improve their methods

Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Former Employee - Insurance Broker
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

Cons

Value external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Stop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing I thought I was paying for expertise"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos