Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great corporation and people

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All of the people were professional and driven to give the best service to their clients. The benefits were very good at the time and I would welcome an opportunity to work there again.

Cons

Sometimes I do not enjoy the corporate "games" with competing offices and direction. Also, I traveled a great deal and although stayed at the best hotels, missed my family.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with employees and their families. Working hard is a given when working for the top brokerage in the U.S.. Staying flexible for family life is imperative. Keep happy!

2. Client Representative

Current Employee - Client Representative in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Current Employee - Client Representative in Istanbul (Turkey)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Global Company, exchange opportunities in different Marsh Offices, qualified employees

Cons

work load, training opportunities, income

3. IT Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than a year)

Pros

A good corporation to work at

Cons

Work-life balance is often not appropriate

Advice to Management

Work with staff in a less pressure-cooked manner

5. Great company to work for! They work you hard but the people you work with make it worthwhile they strive for success

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Pay, Benefits, People, Corporate Social Responsibility, Diverse

Cons

Long Hours, Old School

6. Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is good, at 5 o'clock everyone is gone. Friendly environment. Up to you if want to consider these as pros

Cons

Not achieving good results is not a problem, there is no accountability. No focus on training, development on services and HR. Extremely poor senior management (good sales people are put in charge as managers).

Advice to Management

Value human resources and define accountability. Moreover set up some sort of training for employees.

Survival of the Fittest and the Lucky

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Knowledgeable colleagues who know their stuff - Many opportunities to grow skills/learn - Challenging and varied assignments - Flexible working environment and often the ability to work remotely. -They have treated me well enough over the years that I have lasted 13 years so far.

Cons

- Luck of draw effect...some of the Pros depend on where you end up and who you work for - Workload can sometimes be overwhelming - Some of those knowledgeable colleagues are kind of hard to work for. - Performance Ratings system is a joke...rigged game designed to reward a select few. - If you're an expert and you deliver great work, it doesn't matter, you're still a second class citizen compared to the colleague that made sales. -Company is run by bean counters who panic on a monthly basis about financials and demand billable hours forecasts from all Associates. -Career growth is difficult if you don't want to sell. Many people make it to Principal and then turtle up....doing the minimum to make their sales and revenue targets - 13 years here, but the trend to me seems generally negative. Salary, benefits, Bonus, and continued career growth, all seem uncertain

Advice to Management

Value the work first. Invest in the best people doing the best work and the clients will come

You work extremely hard on frustrating work and do not get compensated fairly.

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst I in Norwood, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst I in Norwood, MA (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, there is a cafeteria on site, plenty of parking, you can learn a lot since you have a lot of responsibilities. Good resume builder.

Cons

Over worked, under compensated, senior leaders are cliquey. Systems are so old. Very high expectations that don't get rewarded for.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and retain the best talent, the $ needs to be there. Everyone is trying to leave right now.

9. very fair

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

allows you to follow your own initiative

Cons

can be slow for approvals

Advice to Management

work to maintain existing employees

10. Low staff morale

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

- Great staff and lots of intelligent people to work with - Large company with excellent global resources - Strategic and sophisticated client service methodology - Excellent and challenging clients

Cons

- No recognition given to top performing employees - Senior management with fat pay checks while lower level employees are run to the ground and extremely underpaid - Company is all about the clients at the expense of staff well being and morale - Salary review process a joke. Constant internal memos about year on year double digit growth while non-management staff who really deliver the services to clients receive salary adjustments lower than inflation - too much unnecessary bureaucracy - CEO gets a lot of kudos from shareholders for cutting costs while staff are burnt out due to ridiculous work load and lack of support staff - low employee morale - everything has to be approved by New York

Advice to Management

Invest back in the business or you will lose your top performers which in turn will cost you a hell of a lot more than just recognising and doing the right thing by your staff

Review

Pros

Stable company with great benefits and good opportunities.

Cons

Too much overhead in the layers between mid and upper and upper management.

Advice to Management

Too many "management" or other highly paid positions between corporate and geography. Also, need to pace change better in order to not overload with initiatives that are non-revenue generating.

RSS Feed </> Embed